General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

New Toyota AE86 confirmed / rwd subby 6-04-08

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
New Toyota AE86 confirmed / rwd subby 6-04-08

The ceo of Toyota just confirmed the production of a new rwd coupe for Toyota.

As thought by most people, its going to use a chassis and engine from suburu.

The cars suppose to be around $20k starting.

The final design is suppose to be signed off in july and should see a 2011 production date

I think its a smart move for Toyota. Instead of R & D a new power train and chassis for a low volume car. There just going to barrow someone elses already rally proven drive train and use there under used manufacturing capacity to make them.

The article states Toyota already is upping there stake in fuji industries and the cars will be manufactured in japan at the fuji plant.

They might have a competitor for the hyundai genesis coupe and the rumored 240sx replacement.

Since honda likes to follow Toyota. I hope honda wakes up and offers something.

here's the auto blog link
http://www.autoblog.com/page/2/

At a press conference in Japan today, Toyota CEO Katsuaki Watanabe finally confirmed that his company is jointly developing a pair of rear-wheel-drive sports cars with Subaru. Each brand will get its own version of the car, which will be powered by one of Subaru's boxer engines, though the engine's displacement, power output and even number of cylinders is not yet known. We're also not sure if the Subaru version will feature the brand's trademark all-wheel-drive system either as an option or standard equipment, or whether Toyota might offer AWD as well in an homage to the Celica GT4 (we hope so!). The styling will most likely resemble the sketch that was published by Autocar yesterday, though we don't expect one car to be a rebadged version of the other. Mark your calendars for 2011, which is when the new sports cars are scheduled to arrive. They'll be riding on a brand new platform and be built in Japan at a new plant by Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru. Toyota also confirmed rumors this morning that it will be buying up more of Fuji, raising its stake in the company from 8.7% to 16.5%.

These RWD sports cars will mean a lot for both companies, as Subaru hasn't offered a performance coupe since the slightly odd SVX, and Toyota all but abandoned performance models after the Supra, Celica and MR2 were cancelled.
updated as of 5-28-08

here's a updated pic

and quote from edmunds. looks like there using the last jdm integra type R (rsx) as the template

TOKYO — As if paying homage to Subaru, Toyota is co-developing a new lineup of rear-wheel-drive sporty coupes employing a revised version of the Subaru Impreza's platform, boxer engine and transmission. Toyota's largest contribution to the mix will be product planning and its impeccable quality control.

The Toyota model, still to be named, will be sold exclusively in Japan, while the Subaru-badged model will be marketed worldwide. The mechanical package will be identical, but both Toyota and Subaru will create exterior designs to differentiate their cars from each other.

The basis for this new radical project is to take Subaru's well-known 4WD powertrain and modify it to create a new rear-wheel-drive setup. Slated to be built at Subaru's Gunma plant in Japan, both Toyota and Subaru models will employ a revised version of the naturally aspirated boxer 2.0-liter unit generating around 220 horsepower at 6,500 rpm, mated to a six-speed manual gearbox from the current Impreza WRX STI.

Surprisingly, the joint Toyota-Subaru R&D team has chosen the out-of-production, front-wheel-drive Honda Integra Type R as its benchmark, because its styling, performance parameters and dimensions mirror what the development team wants to create.

Expected to ride on a 103-inch wheelbase, the 2,866-pound coupes will use a 2+2 seating configuration.

Slated for a late 2011 debut, the coupes are expected to be priced starting just under $20,000.

updated 6-4-08

here's another artist rendering of the new rwd coupe off of auto express.

Its basing it off the current design cues of the current subbies. It basically looks like a sti front with more aggressive rear quarter panels.

The article states that it will offer a intial engine of 200hp and a upgraded 2.5L 300hp. Then a awd option later. Maybe they'll basically make it a STI coupe for the people that hate hatches.

Last edited by TemjinX2; 06-04-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2008
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Re: New Toyota AE86 confirmed

This almost seems Aprils-foolish to me....but if it's the truth, the car will be sexy time to the max
Old 04-11-2008
A descendant of 2k1civic.com

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
pheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of lightpheaton is a glorious beacon of light

We'll see what happens. I doubt Honda is going to follow suit. Have you guys seriously looked into the V6 Accord Coupe? I'm actually pretty impressed.
Old 04-11-2008
Rough, Tough, Real Stuff.

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

That sketch is actually of the Subaru variant, the Toyota one's going to be different. It's got potential, as long as they don't make it too heavy or complicated.

And somehow I doubt Honda's going to follow suit. I wish they would, but I doubt it.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

j.steimer04 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pheaton
We'll see what happens. I doubt Honda is going to follow suit. Have you guys seriously looked into the V6 Accord Coupe? I'm actually pretty impressed.
I rocked one of the new Accords for a couple hours, and they are bad ***! I wish I could trade the Civic in for one.
Old 04-11-2008
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

I'd like to see video =)
Old 04-11-2008

Unevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to beholdUnevolved is a splendid one to behold

Good luck finding any, that sketch is the closest it's come to reality thus far.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about

i doubt its true.. there were some rumors about a supra and the toyota volta as well.
Old 04-11-2008

No, it's true enough, it just hasn't come to fruition as of yet.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

slowwhitecivic will become famous soon enough

i guess we just have to wait and see lol
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
i doubt its true.. there were some rumors about a supra and the toyota volta as well.
it is true. It was confirmed publicly by the ceo of Toyota.

From a drive train stand point they dont have to do anything, since they can just reuse the engines they already produce.

There probably won't be any real concepts until after July.

I'm just wondering if there going to making it a scion or a toyota.
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pheaton
I think its ok. It seems more like a luxury cruiser then a sporty coupe. I think the legacy is more of fun sports sedan.
Old 04-11-2008

Yeah, but I've heard terrible things about the Legacy's build quality.

And I'm hoping they'll make it a Toyota, but it'll probably be a Scion...
Old 04-11-2008
Registered!!

I never sat in a legacy, but i sat in a sti. Its ok quality given all the performance you get, but the interior does remind you of a economy car.
Old 04-12-2008

Yeah, cause that's what it started life as. I'd rather have something that was a performance car to begin with, like an S2000.
Old 04-28-2008
Registered!!

nicokpe is an unknown quantity at this point

just wait and see, finally the truth will coming....
Old 04-29-2008
Registered!!

yeah there still debating over the drive train options. there still not sure if the subby will offer rwd or not or if toyota should offer awd.

i think the subby should just be awd only and keep the toyota rwd only. Keep up the brand image of suburu.
Old 05-28-2008
Registered!!

i updated the front page with new info and pics
Old 05-28-2008

Re: New Toyota AE86 confirmed / rwd subby 5-28-08

This looks promising... About the time I'll be looking for a new car, I might be able to pick up a 2 or 3 year old RWD Toyota for not too much as a new toy...
Old 05-28-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Will it make at least 40mpg? Plan for the future guys. Maybe gas is cheaper in Japan.
Old 05-28-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Man, if gas was 6 bucks a gallon I would still buy a 2+2 sports car that got 30 MPG right now and I'm a college student expecting to make a lot more money in the next 2 - 3 years.
Old 05-31-2008
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

just give me a car that runs on bubbles and good intentions
Old 05-31-2008
Registered!!

wheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nicewheelspinLX is just really nice

Originally Posted by modoman
just give me a car that runs on bubbles and good intentions
It wouldn't be mean enough for me. I want it to destroy the environment and occasionally take innocent lives.
Old 06-01-2008
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

Originally Posted by wheelspinLX
It wouldn't be mean enough for me. I want it to destroy the environment and occasionally take innocent lives.
lulz
Old 06-02-2008
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TRIZ
Will it make at least 40mpg? Plan for the future guys. Maybe gas is cheaper in Japan.
gas is more expensive in japan due to taxes and running on higher octane fuel.

China and Venzuala subsidize there gas for there population to protect farmers from higher fuel costs.

Europe taxes the crap out of petro to make people use diesel.

The US pricing is generally seen as what the world market price is for gas.
Old 06-04-2008
Registered!!

Re: New Toyota AE86 confirmed / rwd subby 6-04-08

i updated the front page with the newest rendering of the car. Basically it looks like there going to make this car the impreza coupe and sti coupe.
Old 06-04-2008
Don't be a n00b, search ftw

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Re: New Toyota AE86 confirmed / rwd subby 6-04-08

God damn, that latest rendering is fugly as hell. That orange concept is bitching. Hope that they make it look like that.