General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

led'd and cruise control

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jrock will become famous soon enoughjrock will become famous soon enough
led'd and cruise control

I hate how cruise control does not work with led bulbs in the rear brake light. One of my lights went out and I had to replace it with my old led... pissed...haha
Old 10-24-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
Re: led'd and cruise control

yea i encountered this problem about a year ago. i know how to fix it if u want to stay with LEDs. actualy i was going to make a DIY on it.

i'm out of town over the weekend i'll make one when i get back.

Last edited by DieMaster; 10-24-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all

^^^ can we hold you to your words?
Old 10-25-2007
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point

what does rear brake lights have to do with cruise control?
Old 10-25-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

im still trying to figure out...
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

susuking is on a distinguished road

yeah... why?
Old 10-25-2007
Registered!!

Devani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond reputeDevani has a reputation beyond repute

why can't you buy a new brake bulb for ~$4 at autostore??
Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by gearbox
im still trying to figure out...
i'm back. sorry for that i was walking out the door when i posted that.

ok. it's a simple fix. the brake signal going to the cruse control computer needs to see a ground to enable cruse control to engage. when engaged if it looses that ground for any reason or it sees +12 b/c u steped on the brakes it cancels the CC. so when u remove the filiment in a light bulb the computer cant see a ground though the filiment and it's what we call in electronics a "floating input." it's neather high (+12) or low (gnd) it floats on whatever voltage cross feeds into it in the harness. so when u engage it. if anything causis the resident voltage to flot the input to high, the CC will assume the non gnd state and cancel, hence the random canceling. so if u put ~50K resistor inside the CC computer from the pin thats the brake input (Wht/blk wire) to ground, the ground will allways be there untill u press the brakes.

now that i have u totaly confused. i will take the CC actuator/computer out and show u where to add the resistor in a picture.

i need to do that so bear with me. i will post up a pic of the location in an hour or so.
Old 10-28-2007
Banished to the Depths of Rice.

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^cant you also just simple buy thoes 10$ "led load resistors" that prevent turn signals form hyperblinking...and tap it into the brake light? thats be teh same as ur methode rite? cuz they both ARE basically high load reisistors
Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sl33pyriceboi
^cant you also just simple buy thoes 10$ "led load resistors" that prevent turn signals form hyperblinking...and tap it into the brake light? thats be teh same as ur methode rite? cuz they both ARE basically high load reisistors
u dont need a huge 5 wat resistor to do this. it's a simple computer input. just a few MA. yes u could but it's WAY over kill.

working on the pics now......
Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

thanks DieMaster for the explanation....

I switched back to regular bulbs all around, because the leds just arent bright enough....I had bulbs with 27 + leds on them...just isn't bright enough and the cruise control issue sucks...regular bulbs

Last edited by jrock; 10-28-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2007
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

i still dont get it. i have total led taillights/brakes and top mount brake, all leds, and my cruise works just fine. led bulbs have a ground too, they have to in order to light up.
Old 10-28-2007
Registered!!

gearbox...how is the brightness? Do you agree with what I said? I don't understand how your cruise control works.....

Last edited by jrock; 10-28-2007 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-28-2007
Premium Member

hmm haha actually i dont remember trying it after installing the tails. i just assumed it would work, since pressing the brake is only to deactivate the cruise mode i thought. i didnt think there was a signal needed for it to activate. tails are very bright, theyre the depo ones and from the back it looks a ton brighter than stock, blinding at night. pics dont do it justice. top mount is the civic 8thgen led bar. everything is super focused and you can see light reflecting off signs from many blocks away. i will try the cruise tomorrow and let you know if it still works.

just the top mount

Last edited by gearbox; 10-28-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-29-2007

sl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant futuresl33pyriceboi has a brilliant future

^my cruise control works from about 40mph - 60mph ish.... any speed higher than 60, it wont work. strange...

BTW GEARBOX, what kinda leds are used in those tail lights????

meaning are they superflux or the regular 5mm leds?

my tail light LED are pretty damn bright.....but they're made with superflux leds though.
Old 10-29-2007
Premium Member

depo tails use some kind of bright superflux, i say that because they are actually pure red and not red orange like the honda top bar is. weird since the lumileds superflux red i had before were way dim in comparison. i can try and take a closeup, but they are definately a superflux "style" led. Altho, it could just be the chrome reflectors making them brighter. or the leds are being overdriven which is also possible, but i did notice at 12v, the outside brake/park is dimmer than it should be and acts weird like its not getting enough power. so maybe its fine. i know its not those monster 4-5chip knockoff superflux on ebay, it looks like a normal size one. So it could be the reflectors just putting all the light forward. when i had my old red brake light, i didnt have any reflector, just naked led, and those are only available in the wide angle. oh and the oem led brake uses snapleds in red orange. i know these are overdriven cause on the cover it says 13.5v max but the car gives them 14.2

without the red focusing lens tho, they look alot weaker

compare this to the pic i posted above with lens on

and heres some fx leds i have, theyre taken apart now in singles, but they used some weird oval superflux that were really bright without any reflector. seems to be red orange. amazingly, these leds are just connected by wires that are spliced inbetween the metal tabs. no solder or anything, just tapped wires!

Last edited by gearbox; 10-29-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2007
Premium Member

cruise works fine from 35-75mph. i know there is a lower cutoff tho for safety, either 25 or 30mph. more pics of the tails

park

park

brakes

ground brakes

Old 10-30-2007
Banned

mani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nicemani_is_kool is just really nice

damn gear box .. that is surely a nice mod man !!!
Old 10-30-2007

^yea superflux are square....

however, teh superflux used in ur drpo are the regular ones...the oem ones are alot smaller in the center dome...well, the ones on the FX and such cars....cuz i have alot of them...

i might consider showing me tails later =]
Old 10-30-2007
Premium Member

ya show em. the depo uses bigger head leds so not sure because it doesnt look like 4 chip maybe its another knockoff type. fx has oval domes. i doubt its real oem leds lol. but on the up side, the rear housing is really easy to cut up and replace the arrays. but that would mean also needing a new pwm.