General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

oil change, not on your car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007
The World Is Yours!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute
oil change, not on your car!

so how many of you attempt to change oil on another car, to find out how difficult it is? well so far, i've changed for my GF oil in her G35 coupe. and now in her IS300 today. both sucked but the IS300 is worst. what was the worst for anyone else out there?
Old 06-27-2007
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Re: oil change, not on your car!

Volkswagens... All that damn splashguarding undertray **** gets in the way. You have to take it all out to yank the filter.
oh and theres nothing to jack the front of the car up with.... so you need to jack up the back high enough to put stands under the front.

Last edited by Boilermaker1; 06-27-2007 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-27-2007
Pwning Noobs 24/7

DaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really niceDaMadScientist is just really nice

oil filter relocation kit FTW!
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

2skys1imit3 is an unknown quantity at this point

depends on if your working with the same Manufacturer just a different Model or a completely 180 like working w/a Domestic vs. Import
Old 06-29-2007
This is Myspace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

yea i had an auto mechanics class for all 4 years in high school and all we did was change oil. people would come in and just use us cuz we didnt charge anything...we lived on tips. i think by far the hardest was a Saab. Just liek the volkswagon liek above ^ they had alot of crap u had to get out the way..and the oil filter was ina tight spot. other than that the only other car that really gave me trouble was like some old school bronco truck suv thing... it felt liek the oil filter was welded on. and then wen i took it off GUNK fell out. it sucked.
Old 06-29-2007
The World Is Yours!

burke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond reputeburke420 has a reputation beyond repute

well.. .this was a beast to get off! and i havent changed a euro, but and i dont want too! but ive seen corvettes, and acura's have one's beside the axle... i mean too easy!
Old 06-29-2007
Registered!!

-SIC CIVIC- is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree, the IS300 for sure suck to get the oil filter off and out, any lexus is a pain really. Dodge cummins are easy to do but very messy, no matter what. izuzu rodeo's/ honda passports suck to do also.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

BigD001 can only hope to improve

the saturn couple superchage I forgot what year but its the 3 door one, you cant do it only the stealer ship can do it the oil fiter is way up there and you have to remove parts to get to it, witch really sux cuz im and my boss son spent two hour try, and then called saturn and they said that they designed for only saturn tech can do it to make money.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

cinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nicecinaibur is just really nice

^^^proofreading does wonders. try it some time
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

wikkaco0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Each and every car has their own particularities. Most people will look at a D17 and say the oil filter is impossible to reach. Some may only be familiar with a Toyota S series engine where the filter is sticking right in your face as you open the bonnet. Mazduhs (Mazda) have plastic underneath the engine bay, but not nearly as bad as Mercedes-Benz and BMW which sometimes involve hoisting the engine out (exageration).

Oil changes are like 35 dollars canadian at Honda. It's cheap !
Old 06-30-2007
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point

7thgen civic is the hardest i have changed. Easiest was my old 91 camry. toyota tilted the engine backwards so that the oil filter is right in your face when you open the hood.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

-SIC CIVIC- is an unknown quantity at this point

If that 91' camry had the V6 it would be harder then your old camry w/ the 4 cyl. engine.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

On the topic of Toyota Camrys and oil filters

The 93 Camry with 5S/3S-GTE engine setup

Last edited by wikkaco0; 06-13-2011 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

Civ3x is an unknown quantity at this point

I work at BMV Motorsports (BMW, Mercedes, and Volvo) amongst others including but not limited to Jensen (sweet car), SABB, and Acura and I will say I find early 2000 BMWs to be the easiest i.g. oil filter in you face soon as you open the hood and pleasure of the Rotary Lift the oil drain plug is a snap, and twist.
Old 06-30-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice. That post speaks volumes.
Old 06-30-2007
Registered!!

And not a single comment about my stupid toyota lmao.

Maybe he's sort of a big deal?
Old 06-30-2007
Slowest 7thgen in the GTA

phuviano has a spectacular aura aboutphuviano has a spectacular aura about

I used to be a lube and oil tech. Basically in normal terms, oil changes, and tires. Worst common cars were those damn Pontiac Sunfires. There we 3 of us in the shop, and all 3 of us never wanted to do the damn oil changes on those things.

By far, the worst ever oil change was on a VW camper van. I'm not sure what they're actually called, but the vans with the stove in it. Plus not to mention, that thing requires the biggest oil filter I've ever seen on a passenger type vehicle. I think it took me like 45 mins to do that oil change.

2nd hardest oil change was on a volvo, which required a tool which only Volvo Techs had. After a few minutes of tinkering, I got the stupid plastic piece. The rest was a piece of cake.

I've probably done oil changes on hundreds of cars, suv's, and trucks. Trucks and SUV's are usually the easiest because they usually have the most space underneath.

7thgens and all honda's are easy to do oil changes on.
Old 06-30-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

We used to have a "Kia fee" at our lube shop. Every Kia would be charged an extra $5 over another car getting the same job done because there always some nuisance with them. I hate working on Kias and I'm glad I never have to work on one ever again!
Old 07-05-2007
I'll flip out and kill people.

modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned

my old jeep cherokee was a pain, as the filter sat upside down, or rightside up? well the hole faced down, and no matter how long you let it drain, you still got about 8 oz of oil on you. i wouldn't know how the civic is to change, as i've never been able to get under it without shop lift.

on the other end, the easiest oil change was on early ford expeditions, which i had the pleasure to experience back in the day... the filter was right behind the front bumper on the passenger side. of course, it sucks to own that shitmobile and bump something with that corner..
Old 07-05-2007
Registered!!

beadebaserr will become famous soon enoughbeadebaserr will become famous soon enough

hondas are definitely one of the easiest to do oil changes on. i always hate when cars have the filters that sit right side up. how are you supposed to prevent it from spilling everywhere?

Last edited by robbclark1; 07-05-2007 at 11:40 AM. Reason: cussing each other out will not be tolerated