General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.
View Poll Results: My Civic is...
Automatic
29.20%
Manual
70.80%
Voters: 274. You may not vote on this poll

Manual or Auto

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smooth is an unknown quantity at this point
Well I just "learned" to drive MT. I pretty much knew how to drive it and what to do the basics but I actually got to try them out now. I drove my brothers Nissan Altima and practiced on that. I didn't think I would hate it soo much cuz I hate stalling. But I think I did pretty good for my first time ony stalled twice.
Old 04-16-2006
Registered!!

GoneIn60 is an unknown quantity at this point
thats good i remember my first time my dad took me on all these hills and it was tough at first but now i can beast them up. Has anyone ever drove one of those transmanual transmissions where all you do is push up or down to change gears?
Old 04-17-2006
Registered!!

05blkrs is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by GoneIn60
thats good i remember my first time my dad took me on all these hills and it was tough at first but now i can beast them up. Has anyone ever drove one of those transmanual transmissions where all you do is push up or down to change gears?
ok just read this thread for the first time and have a couple of points... first, the "transmanual" thing... are you refering to the type like in the mr2 spyders where it's automatic but you have to shift it? i like those my friend has an mr2.. it's similar to an exotic sports car sequential trans... the mr2 also has the buttons on the steering wheel to change up and down... for double clutching, that was a descent explaination... it was acurate, but here is an in depth write up... check it out http://www.driftstars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72
as far as the grinding at high rpms, that means your syncros aren't doing their ob correctly.. i had the same problem in my mazda, and it got worse and worse.... after a while, it wouldn't even go into third w/o grinding unless i double clutched.. even at like 4krpms... the syncros were shot... and as far as m/t swaps in civics, you have to add the pedal, shifter assemblies w/ all the connections, hoses linkage etc... the axles (i think it may be only one of them on a civic) will have to be changed, and on a b and d series civic motor, you will have to modify your starter wiring harness as the starter is in a diff. location.. i'm not sure if the starter its self has to be changed or not..its not too hard most of the stuff like shifter linkage and stuff like pedals are available at junk yards, so over all materials cost should be about $200 after buying the trans, clutch and flywheel... ihad one i sold for $150.... anyone w/ normal tools should be able to do it in a driveway in a weekend..
Old 04-17-2006
Registered!!

yea some of the new eclispes have them and those mr2 spyders. As far as the gear grinding stuff using oem honda manual transmission fluid helpped alot no grinding at high rpm's. The only problem i found out with my tranny is that in 2nd sometimes it pops out when im decellerating. I found that there is a honda TSB to fix it but my warranty is up so im prolly not gonna get it fixed, i mean it still shifts fine its just sometimes it likes to pop out occasionally
Old 04-17-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GoneIn60
yea some of the new eclispes have them and those mr2 spyders. As far as the gear grinding stuff using oem honda manual transmission fluid helpped alot no grinding at high rpm's. The only problem i found out with my tranny is that in 2nd sometimes it pops out when im decellerating. I found that there is a honda TSB to fix it but my warranty is up so im prolly not gonna get it fixed, i mean it still shifts fine its just sometimes it likes to pop out occasionally
replace your bushings... they are on the solid part of the shift linkage that just mounts on the trans that doesn't ever move... get some urethane bushings it should help out... also on the double clutching being from f&f thing, there are two types of double clutching... it should be covered in that link i posted.
Old 04-18-2006
Registered!!

ah thanks good call on the bushings
Old 04-18-2006
Registered!!

Rokki is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual. It made the car so much zippier. I loved it. It was a little tiring, however, because the seat didn't move up quite far enough and it was a stretch to work the clutch.
Old 04-19-2006
Registered!!

JewelBeetle is an unknown quantity at this point
My husband's '98 Civic was a manual. He already owned the car when I met him, and I only knew how to drive an automatic. I tried to drive a manual a few times, but I didn't stick with it, and I wish that I would have. I was basically a passenger in our Civic.
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

For those of you driving a manual, do you ride your clutch? I have a tendancy to sit on the clutch instead of the brake so that I can move faster when the light turns green.
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by JewelBeetle
My husband's '98 Civic was a manual. He already owned the car when I met him, and I only knew how to drive an automatic. I tried to drive a manual a few times, but I didn't stick with it, and I wish that I would have. I was basically a passenger in our Civic.
My parents taught me to drive on a manual. It was hard on all the hills, but I'm glad I learned. Sports cars are much better served with a manual transmission.

Why didn't you stick with it?
Old 04-20-2006
Registered!!

CharlieLink is an unknown quantity at this point
Manual

My 5-speed arrived Monday. I had mentioned earlier on this thread (post #2) that I didn't like the low torque on Omaha hills when I test drove the automatic. Same hills - the stick is much better!
Old 04-21-2006
Registered!!

i almost bought a scion tc when they first came out but they had a 2 month waiting list on a manual so i got that mazda i had instead
Old 05-01-2007
Registered!!

BlueRevs is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Manual or Auto

Manual
Old 05-03-2007
Registered!!

lazyxness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anteater
Is your Civic manual or automatic?
And which do you prefer overall?

i have a 2003 LX manual =) and i love the manual
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

HighBoost is an unknown quantity at this point

Manual maan !! Auto tran EM civic r so weak.. and auto wont produce more boost than manual under exact same set up
Old 05-10-2007
Registered!!

Thornedleaf is an unknown quantity at this point

Automatics are for chicks. (but I like the fact that my chick cant dive my Vic) Ha ha. Just Kidding. Manuals are just more fun to drive.
Old 05-15-2007
Red Hot Chili Peppers....bitch

RHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond reputeRHCP0801 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighBoost
Manual maan !! Auto tran EM civic r so weak.. and auto wont produce more boost than manual under exact same set up
yea sure and thats why an auto trans civic is turboed on 5psi and has 208hp https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...updated-5.html
Old 05-20-2007
Registered!!

korn10 is an unknown quantity at this point

manual!!! 3>2
Old 06-01-2007
Registered!!

skunk2civic04 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an auto because I didn't know how to drive a stick when I bought my car back in early 04. My dad has never been into cars, so he wasn't there to say, "no son, get the stick...you'll thank me later." However, I'm redeeming myself by swapping the tranny, hopefully before the year is over. One of my pet peeves with the auto is when I floor it at 60 mph, and it just craaaaaawls. With the manual, I could just drop it a gear or two and be gone.
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

ancientpimp is an unknown quantity at this point

my civic is auto but i prefer stick (altho i've only driven a stick 2x in my life i can immediately say its more fun)
Old 06-07-2007
Registered!!

scooterist50 is an unknown quantity at this point

double clutch lol
Old 06-07-2007
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to beholdgreeen01civic4d is a splendid one to behold

both myself and my fiance drive manual transmissions, 01lx and 02ex, love em both, so much more control, and so much more freedom
Old 06-13-2007
Registered!!

1nahalf5 is an unknown quantity at this point

-Manual-
I drive what I prefer.
Old 06-14-2007
Registered!!

Plink is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got my 2007 EX manual today. Love it! My first Honda.

I have owned two vehicles...both manual.
Old 06-16-2007
Registered!!

95speedT is an unknown quantity at this point

ive owned 4 vehicles everyone was manual
learnt on my 91 mazda turbo II
then had a 99' s-10
then a 00' bagged Ford Ranger
now my turbo'd civic
Old 06-18-2007
Registered!!

EGG_4ss4ssin should not be trusted

IT TAKES WAY TO LONG FOR A AUTO TO GET UP AND MOVE THEY ARE LIKE A FAT KID AND HE DOESNT WANT TO STOP SUCKING!!! GRRRRRR

PS HOPE I DIDNT OFFEND ANYONE
Old 07-14-2007
Registered!!

Luey is an unknown quantity at this point

Drove a stick for the past 26 years. But, while fun on an open road, they suck big time in heavy traffic. After my last trip down I-95 from CT to VA, much of it in parking lot-like traffic, I decided no more stick for me, not while living on the east coast anywhere at least (maybe I'll go back to a stick, if I ever move to Montana or somewhere without a b'zillion cars all on the road and always at the same time).
Old 08-03-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K12144 is an unknown quantity at this point

This chick drives a stick, learned to drive on a manual Civic (different one), tyvm.

I admit I am not so fond of it in traffic jams, though. Although it's a good way to gauge how much progress I'm making-- "OMG WE'RE GOING FAST ENOUGH FOR THIRD GEAR!!!" (I have a bit of a problem with impatience/road rage as well as extreme sarcasm when angry, so...)
Old 08-05-2007
Registered!!

ink_u_bus is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an automatic but want a manual.
Old 08-05-2007
Registered!!

murphy80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2003 Honda Civic EX with an automatic transmission, I bought the car new for my wife so that is why it is an auto. If I where going to buy one for me it probably would have been a manual.

Last edited by murphy80; 08-05-2007 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Manual or Auto