General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Question about underbody neon installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bboytius is an unknown quantity at this point
Question about underbody neon installation

Hi everyone. I'm thinking about getting an underbody neon kit and was wondering how would I install the mounting brackets? Do I have to drill into my car or are they mounted some other way? I'm asking because I usually like to install everything myself, but if the installation is too hard, then i'll take it to a shop. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks all.
Old 03-06-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

speedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the roughspeedracersong is a jewel in the rough
u have to drill on the sides and in the back but u can attach the front one to ur bumper with those plastic ties that zip up. o if u have ur car lowered watch out these lights smash easy...
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

ShadyMilkMan is an unknown quantity at this point
for the street glow there little plasic bands that wrap around the tube and then have a little hole for the screw to go thorugh. You screw it into somwhere in the undercarraige of the car through the hole in the band. 3 band to each neon tube i belive? Dont put a tupe directly on ur exhaust and make sure you cant see the turbes from another car cus that would make them illigal.
Old 03-06-2002
Registered!!

bboytius is an unknown quantity at this point
thanks for the replies guys. just one more question of taste. do you guys think underbody neons are considered rice or not?
Old 03-06-2002
Second Place is the First Loser

Hefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the roughHefe is a jewel in the rough

<< thanks for the replies guys. just one more question of taste. do you guys think underbody neons are considered rice or not? >>

Who cares what other peeps think..... It's your car not theirs
Old 03-06-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
personally... i don't think a hint of rice is all that bad... some people go overboard though and that's when it gets ugly and wrong... as for the street glows, ehhhh... i guess it's pretty cool to have... just don't make that your only mod for the exterior drop it, tint it up, get some wheels...
Old 03-06-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Maybe a little ricey. Here are some tips. After you drill, paint the exposed metal to prevent rust. Also, mount the neon's on soft mounts. If you hit a hard bump you don't want the shock to be transfered to the neon's directly. You want them to be somewhat isolated from the shock. I've heard of people having them break and I think this is due to the way they are mounted.
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

VTECnique is an unknown quantity at this point
i'm gettin some street glows in a couple weeks and here's how i'm gonna mount them:

1. i'm gonna install them on the inside of the frame rails, so i'm gonna see where they fit best.
2. using a few layers of double sided tape as a temporary mount/vibration reducer, attach them in the best spot.
3. then i'll drill holes for bolts, screw the bolts in lightly, and use some heavy duty Loc-Tite to make sure they don't unscrew themselves.
4. i'm not sure about the front, but the rear is gonna be easy to install. i gotta see how long the tube is before i make any definate holes. Once again, prolly do the same as step 2.
5. i have the tsunami front, so i'll make a wide enough hole to slip the light of the housing through the top, then bolt it to the kit.

These are just ideas now, i am thinking of doing it this way but not 100% sure. if anyone has suggestions reply to this.

BTW: to thos epeople that do have neons already, did u screw it into the underbody or anywhere else?
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

Jujarso is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't think underglow kits are ricey at all..... now led exhaust tips.... thats another story. Just my $.02
Old 03-07-2002
Registered!!

Toad is an unknown quantity at this point
i've had my underglows for about a week now, I used 4 brackets on both sides and zip ties on the front and rear... those things work wonders..
and NO WAY are neons rice... they are just for show.. then again stickers and the stick on hood pins that i saw at pep boys.. now thats rice..
(yeah i actually saw hood pins for 6 dollars.. they are made out of plastic and just stick on the hood....)

-Toad