General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

How much to replace headgasket?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eightball will become famous soon enoughEightball will become famous soon enough
Exclamation How much to replace headgasket?

So I had a leakdown test done at honda today and they said it was the head gasket. How much should honda charge me to replace it, also how much if the head is warped? Is there another shop I should consider having do the work cheaper?

I'm going to honda right now to pick it up and figure out what to do.......any help greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-12-2006
EK Hatch

Ser1N is an unknown quantity at this point
headgasket 30 bucks, labor 300 - 800 bucks. warped head = need new head i think?
Old 05-12-2006
Registered!!

gipperkid is an unknown quantity at this point
If the head is not warped too badly, it may be able to be planed. But a new head would be best or even rebuilt.
Old 05-12-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya i paid around $500 for the swap labor and I supplied all the parts. head can be checked by a machine shop and cleaned/milled. you must take it to the shop to have it pressure tested and milled or you will have problems later. then you need oil, coolant, intake mani, exhaust mani, and head gaskets, 10 new head bolts are required, and might as well throw on a new crank pulley, timing belt, and water pump since everything is coming off anyway.
Old 05-12-2006
Registered!!

Eightball will become famous soon enoughEightball will become famous soon enough
So i just got back from honda. They told me $1020 parts and labor to replace the headgasket, not to mention fixing or replacing the head. I got laid off and don't have the cash flow right now.

Before the leakdown test they told me that the rubber bushing on my Injen CAI was not properly grounding my fans, causing it to overheat. But turning the fans on didn't help at all. I trying to figure out a way to connect the overheating to my wreck and see if I can get it fixed through insurance. It overheated once and i replaced the thermostat. It didn't overheat again till I got in a wreck about a month or more after. If I have to pay between $1000-$2000 total, I might as well just trade it in on a new car and stick Honda with it since they constantly screw me over.....
Old 05-12-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

XSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really niceXSRCivic is just really nice
haha damn gearbox. migh be cheaper to just get another d17 lol. on a serious note, how god are you at pulling things apart and putting them back together CORRECTLY?