General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Nitrogen In Car Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006
Downed but not for good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bigmurr will become famous soon enoughbigmurr will become famous soon enough
Nitrogen In Car Tires

My boss just heard a commercial on the radio about some car company (I think luxury cars) is now starting to fill some of their car's tires with Nitrogen instead of oxygen or ozone (to be correct). He was asking me if I knew why they would do that. My initial response was that nitrogen has different expansion/contraction properties than ozone, am I right? Is it really that necessary to do that, it seems to me that it would be more of a pain to get your tires filled because only some places would have nitrogen.

sorry if it is a repost.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
First of all, tires are not filled with ozone. Most everywhere fills tires with compressed atmospheric air. Meaning you have the standard mix of roughly 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. (there are small percentages of other things, but for the most part this simplification makes sense). From what I understand, the reason they fill tires with Nitrogen is because it does not have the oxidizing properties of air. Most places don't take all the moisture out of the their compressed air either, so you have a moist/oxygen rich environment. They claim that by filling with nitrogen your wheels and tires won't oxidize as quickly, and last longer. Not sure that I would agree with that, but thats what they say. Supposedly nitrogen does not "leak" out of the tires as fast as air either. My opinion is that the Nitrogen thing is a marketing gimmick and not relevent most of the time. Dry compressed air will perform just as well. The problem comes in when the compressed air your putting in contains moisture. It would be better to put in nitrogen than moist air, but the difference between dry compressed air and nitrogen is likely not going to be percievable.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

Taffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant futureTaffy has a brilliant future
Nitrogen is lighter than oxygen, so by eliminating the 20% or so of oxygen from the mix you are saving some weight from your car even though the number will be miniscule. So I guess it would in return help out fuel economy even though it would be barely noticable. Also like he said above it is also a marketing ploy to get drivers with nitrogen in their tires to go back to the service shop that filled it up for them. I would rather have normal compressed air in my tires so that I can control when and where I fill my tires up myself.
Old 05-11-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
We've already done this one
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=258623

In short... use it in a race car because it doesn't expand as much. The degration reduction from the inside doesn't matter because the outside is still exposed. And the weight you save from the difference in gas makeup is nearly nothing. The molecular mass of N2 is 28g/mol, the molecular mass of air is 28.97 g/mol.
Old 05-11-2006
Downed but not for good

I thought that the 79%/21% mixture of nitrogen and oxygen was called ozone, or atleast that what I've always heard in school.
Old 05-11-2006
Registered!!

boosting is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah the weight saved is is nothing.
Old 05-11-2006
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
ozone is O3 or trioxide
Old 05-11-2006
Downed but not for good

Originally Posted by LowSky
ozone is O3 or trioxide
Ahh I stand corrected, thanks for clarifying.
Old 05-12-2006
Registered!!

EclecticVISIONS is on a distinguished road
i fill my tires up with fart. that's .79/mol x 3.14 bitches.