General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Do You Regret Purchasing Your 7th Gen Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
When exactly do you think this afternarket suppert will come. It's already the middle of the second model year in this generation. The most basic aftermarket add-on a K&N Filtercharger is still not available! others on this board have said it may be because of the new configuration of the front suspension and how it has caused the a more crowded engine bay. Last generation's CIVIC has a host of ADD-ons at this same time in it's existence. Personally I miss the Double Wishbone in the front. I have no idea why they changed it when it was never broken. i mean is the fact that the wheels stay straight when you hit a bump mean that much? So far, that's the only real benefit I've noticed to the independent suspension in the front. When i owned my 6th generation civic I had become increasingly more happy with it's handling the longer I owned it. With this one I find that as the days go by I find more and more things bother me about the car. Handling, interior noises, wind noise entering the cabin, seats and overall build quality seems inferior to the 6thgen.
Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

2001CivicEx2dr is an unknown quantity at this point
My only regret is going the lazy route and buying an auto. Its not like I don't know how to shift, I just never thought I'd ever get into the import speed crowd....
Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
im getting sick of my civic, not because of any major lemon probs, mechanically its sound but the fit and finish is driving me nuts! Nothing is "mechanically" wrong with the interior, but everything rattles and the plastic is just cheap. I dunno, i'm kinda getting sick of my car, i'm probably going to pick up a new vw turbo beetle. I prefer german engineering over japanese engineering, german cars are so much tighter [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

Yeah, I notice that the paint comes off with just a slight gentle rub of the fingernail, especially on the bumpers. It feels like you could peel it all off if you wanted to. The rattling going on inside is pretty bad. I think that may be the biggest complaint from everyone on this board. Unfortunately, it happens in most cars in this price range because of all the plastic used in the assembly. I think the seats feel especially cheap, like they just threw in the cheapest seats they could find.
Old 03-27-2002
Registered!!

lemoncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
"OUT WITH THE OLD, IN WITH THE NEW"?

How about, "If it aint broke, don't fix it." I wish HONDA thought this one out a little bit more. I really think they tried but, it's juts doesn't measure up to older models. I've got a few pesky problems, that definetly make me regret purchasing this thing. Let the BUYER BEWARE. I saw some new HONDA online at the NY AUTO SHOW, looks like a big box. What are they thinking???

But hey, look at it this way...at least it's not a SATURN!!!
Old 03-27-2002
Tomotor

xHoteKx has a spectacular aura aboutxHoteKx has a spectacular aura about
me no regret
Old 03-29-2002
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a second gen owner of a honda civic. I love the 6th gen, wanted a 7th, and now I have it. No regrets, love the car alot.
Old 03-29-2002
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the car for the price, but the rattle is driving me crazy. I don't think there is an excuse for the rattles since you can get cheaper cars that don't have rattles. I am not sure if I will be buying another Honda, even though they are admirable vehicles in many ways.
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point

<< im getting sick of my civic, not because of any major lemon probs, mechanically its sound but the fit and finish is driving me nuts! Nothing is "mechanically" wrong with the interior, but everything rattles and the plastic is just cheap. I dunno, i'm kinda getting sick of my car, i'm probably going to pick up a new vw turbo beetle. I prefer german engineering over japanese engineering, german cars are so much tighter [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG] >>

Have fun paying for all the repairs. VWs are some of the least reliable cars on the road. You think the rattles in the vic bother you, vws are know for rattles! [IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup, gotta agree with mbow there. VW's are infamous for their rattles. I visit this VW forum once in a while just outta curiosity, and most of their complaints are about rattles too, as well as their window regulators. Seems like more than half of their cars have windows which will eventually fail, and will fall straight down into the door, cuz VW uses very cheap plastic window clips to keep them up.

Not that VW makes bad cars, but it's just that they have rattles too. Don't think that it's only our Civics which have rattles.
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
i've owned 2 veedubs before my civic, and I loved them. My 8v GTI rattled, but my jetta was tight as a &lt;censored&gt; &lt;censored&gt;
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
I visited several vw mbs when deciding on what to buy. The rattles and windows falling off their tracks and into the doors, and countless electrical problems. Anyhow, it seems that you have a 50-50 chance of getting a good car or a lemon from my research. I really tried to talk myself into one because the interiors are just awesome. However, after all my research, I just couldn't do it.
Old 03-30-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
I most certainly do not regret buying my civic. One of the best investments I've made. Sounds like you just got a crappy one. That will happen time to time. Even with cars. Can you believe that. Sorry you had a bad experience with your Honda, but that happens sometimes.
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

I still think there is no excuse for the rattles. This continuing comment that you just happened to get a bad one or a lemon is just an excuse. I used to be a loyal Chrysler owner. I owned a Plymouth Horizon, a Dodge Lancer, a Plymouth Sundance and a Dodge Stratus. None of these cars had rattles, although the Lancer had some loose fitting plastic parts which would flap a little on occasion. They has other bugs, but rattling was not one of them. The Plymouth Sundance was the best of the bunch and probably one of the most underrated cars in history. It was equal if not superior to these Civics both in quality of finish and power, and it was a design from 15 years ago. My point it that if Chrysler, with all of its assumed inferiority, could have eliminated rattles in its cars, why can't Honda do the same. I hope that some people from Honda Motor Company are reading message boards like these, because they should be and they should be getting their engineers back to the drawing boards to correct these basic problems.
Old 03-30-2002
Registered!!

Now you've got me going. You read the major auto reviews and they say not to buy Grand Ams or Chevy Cavaliers with automatic transmissions, because they have 'aging transmissions'. Like the Honda auto transmissions are that great. What is that supposed to mean, aging transmissions, like there have been giant strides in transmission technology since 1990. The whole business of rating cars is a big joke and it is for jokers. I can't believe that those losers at Consumers Guide and Consumers Reports and at MSN carpoint actually get paid for their useless opinions on new cars.
Old 03-30-2002
Wicked Moderatuh
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
My theory is to go with what you know. I've been buying Civics since 98 and they've been good to me. Until they give me problems, I will stick with them. So, find a car you like, and if it works, stay with that brand of car. Who knows.
Old 04-01-2002
Registered!!

CivicPro01 is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my civic to death. The only problems that I have with my Civic is it rattles, suspension (way it drives, kinda bouncy), and the interior (I have a eternal blue car and hate the beige interior). I am kind of doubting my Civic right now because I am trying to find a car that fits my needs which that winner is the 97-01 Prelude with automatic sports-shift electron blue and maybe black. But I am being very patient in finding one but I may never find one and just stick with my Civic.
Old 04-01-2002
Registered!!

<< it rattles, suspension (way it drives, kinda bouncy), and the interior >>

Those sound like major complaints to me.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
I think it is true that the new Civics rattle more than the previous ones. It's not fair to compare one car to another, but I mean generally, there seems to be more complaint about rattles than previous Civics. Mine had rattle from 1st week, and of course, you know how it is to get something like that fixed at the dealership. They always tell you that they can't hear anything.

I am hoping things have changed for 2002 models, because 2001 wasn't the best year for Civic's quality, reliability & fit/finish. Today I went into my friend's 1998 Corolla VE & my brother's 2001 Celica GT and they felt so much more solid. And way more rattle free. Not to say my car is bad, but I would say Toyota is Honda's #1 competition, and they should bump up their effort a knotch in the quality inspection zone.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

<< I think it is true that the new Civics rattle more than the previous ones. It's not fair to compare one car to another, but I mean generally, there seems to be more complaint about rattles than previous Civics. Mine had rattle from 1st week, and of course, you know how it is to get something like that fixed at the dealership. They always tell you that they can't hear anything.

I am hoping things have changed for 2002 models, because 2001 wasn't the best year for Civic's quality, reliability & fit/finish. Today I went into my friend's 1998 Corolla VE & my brother's 2001 Celica GT and they felt so much more solid. And way more rattle free. Not to say my car is bad, but I would say Toyota is Honda's #1 competition, and they should bump up their effort a knotch in the quality inspection zone.
>>

The 2002 Civic had added sound insulation so that may have been to deaden interior sounds. A revamped Corolla is coming out for 2003 which could give Honda some problems, especially when you consider that Toyota a huge conglomerate 10 times bigger than Honda which can invest a lot in R & D and Honda is just a company of people who like to make engines and things to put the engines into. The good news is that the new Civic is rumored to look like the Echo, so that may help Civic, although I sat in an Echo at an auto show and when you think that you only have to shell out $11 - $12 k for a Toyota, that's not too bad either. It's sorta like the inside of Calvin and Hobbes space vehicle.

I've been talking a lot about the rattles too and I really want to get rid of them, but there are a lot of good things about Civic like the crash test ratings, and the fuel economy, although the fuel economy is largely achieved with thin metal and glass, making for a lighter vehicle, and the environment too. Safety and environment are nice things. It always gets me around too, rattles or no rattles.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Ronin is an unknown quantity at this point

<< The good news is that the new Civic is rumored to look like the Echo, so that may help Civic >>

Say what??? Or do you actually mean, the new COROLLA is rumored to look like the Echo?

Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

<<

<< The good news is that the new Civic is rumored to look like the Echo, so that may help Civic >>

Say what??? Or do you actually mean, the new COROLLA is rumored to look like the Echo?
>>

[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG] Oops, I meant the new Corolla was rumored to look like the Echo, of course. I was just reading a review of it at Consumers Guide. The front end does sorta have that Focus/Echo shape, the rest looks more or less like the earlier Corollas, but it was a small photo, so I didn't get a great look at it. CG is still giving it a lower rating than Civic though. I also read today that U.S. March unit sales for the new Corolla were were way up, while Civic was down slightly, but with Civic holding about a 2000 unit lead. Around 25,000 to 23,000. Civic is also ahead for YTD sales but the 03 Corolla was just introduced, so we'll have to see where those trends go. Meanwhile Camry is doing a job on Accord sales. There seems to be a definite customer preference at the moment for Camry and a willingness and ability among that market segment to pay the premium price for Camry.
Old 04-02-2002
Registered!!

Umm... isn't the new Corolla out already? It does have a high seating position, but so do the 7th Gen Civics. But that is the natural evolution, since parking spaces are getting tigher, and people are getting bigger. Higher seating position means less need for leg room, so... personally, the looks of the tall greenhouse is growing on me. To me, the new Toyota Corolla looks a lot better than the Civic Sedan. For some reason, it looks a lot more fresher and, dare I say, more personality. Interior material quality between the two cars are about the same. I think ergonomics are still a tad better in the Civic (gotta love the virtical **** switch layout). But noise/vibration/harshness? You gotta give Corolla props. Never have I seen a car in that price range so quiet. And to be honest, I thought the ride was better than the Accord's. No kidding. Seemed just as quiet too. I was so blown away. Like all new Toytoas, the headlamps were simply amazing. The automatic transmission was no comparison, it was much faster, smoother and more intelligent than the Civic's. The 1.8L VVT-i engine was also a lot more satisfying than any SOHC 1.6 or 1.7L motors Honda has, albeit lacking any character. It's got a tad more power, but much more usuable low end grunt and midrange punch. A lot better for passing, or creeping off the line.

One thing the Corolla ultimately lacked was the control. Braking power & modulation feel was lacking, same with the handling and steering feel. But I guess that's the price the Corolla owner pays for having such a nice ride. Also for some reason, Corolla has the geeky image, whereas the Civic doesn't. Resale value, I would have to give the edge to Civics. Only because it has a wider customer base than the Corolla.

Too bad they don't make a coupe............... or that Corolla RS hothatch they have in Japan & Europe. 190HP from a 1.8L ain't bad. And it would do more than well against the new 160HP Civic Si/SiR.
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

PerfectD3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not really. I didn't want to be on a tight budget to own an Si or Type S so I got the EX instead!
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

bullseye is an unknown quantity at this point

<<

<< Warranty ended last week so I will be paying for anything that needs fixed from now on. >>

bullseye: your warranty is gone already??? How much mileage do you put on a year?
>>

I bought my 2k1 on 12-13-00 and on 12-13-01 I was only 250 miles short of 30,000 miles!
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

mikepride is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2k2 and I love it. The only problem I had was the ac belt was not properly adjusted so it squealed. Other than that its perfect.
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

<< &lt;&lt;Umm... isn't the new Corolla out already? &gt;&gt;

I guess it just came out a month or two ago but I don't think I have seen one yet.

&lt;&lt; It does have a high seating position, but so do the 7th Gen Civics. But that is the natural evolution, since parking spaces are getting tigher, and people are getting bigger. Higher seating position means less need for leg room, so... personally, the looks of the tall greenhouse is growing on me. To me, the new Toyota Corolla looks a lot better than the Civic Sedan. For some reason, it looks a lot more fresher and, dare I say, more personality. &gt;&gt;

I don't know, I think I still prefer the looks of the Civic, which to me seems somewhat VW or BMW ish, but it is the quality of the car that matters in the end.

&lt;&lt;Interior material quality between the two cars are about the same. I think ergonomics are still a tad better in the Civic (gotta love the virtical **** switch layout). But noise/vibration/harshness? You gotta give Corolla props. Never have I seen a car in that price range so quiet. And to be honest, I thought the ride was better than the Accord's. No kidding. Seemed just as quiet too. I was so blown away. Like all new Toytoas, the headlamps were simply amazing. The automatic transmission was no comparison, it was much faster, smoother and more intelligent than the Civic's. The 1.8L VVT-i engine was also a lot more satisfying than any SOHC 1.6 or 1.7L motors Honda has, albeit lacking any character. It's got a tad more power, but much more usuable low end grunt and midrange punch. A lot better for passing, or creeping off the line.&gt;&gt;

I have never driven a Corolla or an Accord but it sounds like Toyota is starting to overtake Honda for good. It figures I would be be buying a Civic for the first time just when it is at the peak of its pricing and beginning a quality slide. Actually, I don't think the Civic is that comfortable a car, even a lot of the domestic compacts seem to be more comfortable. The headlights do seem dim and the auto transmission or engine doesn't seem to produce much when trying to go from 35 to 50 mph.

&lt;&lt;One thing the Corolla ultimately lacked was the control. Braking power & modulation feel was lacking, same with the handling and steering feel. But I guess that's the price the Corolla owner pays for having such a nice ride. Also for some reason, Corolla has the geeky image, whereas the Civic doesn't. &gt;&gt;

That could change if the perceptions that Corolla's and Toyota's in general are better in quality. Plus if the new Corolla is better and Honda is stuck with the 7th gen until 2005 or 06 that is already second rate to the Corolla, then Civic could lose a lot of buyers.

&lt;&lt; Resale value, I would have to give the edge to Civics. Only because it has a wider customer base than the Corolla.&gt;&gt;

This could change too. The current resale values are based on Honda's past glories. If the perception is the the quality is no longer exists with the 7th generation Civics it would seem to have to have an effect on resale values. Plus everyone here has fairly new cars. If after 4 or 5 years everyone starts having problems with the 7th gen Civics that the Toyotas aren't having then I would think that the psychology behind the high resale values would be affected and people may snap out of paying new car prices for 4 year old Civics.

&lt;&lt;Too bad they don't make a coupe............... or that Corolla RS hothatch they have in Japan & Europe. 190HP from a 1.8L ain't bad. And it would do more than well against the new 160HP Civic Si/SiR.&gt;&gt;
>>

Text<font color=white style="background-color: 3E3E3E;">Text</font ft>

It doesn't look good for Civic. From what you wrote there doesn't seem to be much reason to buy one over a Civic. At this point I might be considering Hyundai next time.
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

Rockthumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I was just wondering how many Toyota salesman are attending this forum?
Anyway, The new toyota's are such a rip off of the civic its not even funny.
The Matrix is like a 92 civic HB. Anyone else notice the lights on these cars all resemble ours.
The Protege 5 is the same thing. Rip off.
As for the rattle, I had one, got it fixed at the dealer when I was getting my oilchange.
The service was great.
R/T
Old 04-03-2002
Registered!!

lemoncivic is an unknown quantity at this point
"The new toyota's are such a rip off of the civic its not even funny."
–Are you kidding??? That's a major insult to CIVIC's. The new Corolla looks the same as the old one.

'The Matrix is like a 92 civic HB."
–Have you actually sat in one? it's twice the size, has 4Wd, more power and a completely different interior.

"The Protege 5 is the same thing. Rip off."
–The Protege5 has existed in a similar form for years before this model CIVIC in Japan. IT LOOKS ABSOLUTELY nothing like a CIVIC.

"Anyone else notice the lights on these cars all resemble ours."
–I can't say I've noticed that at all.
Old 04-04-2002
Registered!!

You guys are hallarious. Yes, Honda is great. So is Civic. But don't mistake it for a Ferrari.

It's just a Civic. It's an economy car. It's not a high performance sports car nor is it not a lavaishing luxery car. It's good on a gas and easy to park. It just so happens to be great at what it does and fun to drive. Yes, I am aware of Civics that can full off 9second 1/4 mile slips. Those are modded, and you can do that to a VW Beetle. Or pratically any car, for that matter.

Why would you put down Corollas? Ever own one? Probably not. Besides, putting it down makes *YOU* look stupid. Because your car is slower than that "stupid" Corolla, aka "Civic rip off".

And let's not talk about ripping off either. It was Honda who followed Toyota into the minvan market (Previa to Oddasy), cute ute market (RAV4 to CRV), sports car market (MR-2 to NSX.. midengine, rear wheel, 2 seater), and now midsize sport ute market (Highlander to Pilot). There is nothing wrong with copying a competition. It's called market sharing. If you see a competition being successful at something, you mimic it then build upon it. And you take their customers. Why do you think Toyota & Honda has grown so much in the past few decades? Fast forward 30 years. Who is the fastest growing company in North America? It's Hyundai/Kia. They are copying the competition, eliminating their weakness (10yr warrenty to offset poor reliability reputation) and selling it all at a much lower cost. You can call it dumb, a rip off, an insult, or whatever you want, but in another 10 years, see what will happen. Just don't forget 30 years ago, people who drove GMs, Fords and Chryslers called Japanese cars "cheap imitations."

Quick Reply: Do You Regret Purchasing Your 7th Gen Civic?