General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Do You Regret Purchasing Your 7th Gen Civic?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harshfence is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my LX, the only issue is the lean when taking corners. But, I can take care of that with a new suspension. I want to lower it a bit anyways. I only regretted buying it for a short time when the aftermarket parts were slim. But, it has turned around a bit and it's not so bad anymore.
Old 05-28-2002
Registered!!

01SOHCcivic is an unknown quantity at this point

<< You are so on the money. I have had the seat rocking issue almost a year now and it's never been fixed properly. I have even dealt with the District manager and gotten no satisfaction. I was told that "it doesn't seem to be that bad". Interesting huh? Also the SIDE AIR BAG lights go on and off when they're not supposed to depending upon how you sit on the seat. that's just dumbe. the Seat belt pertensioners are underpowered. The Paint quality of the bumber panels is pathetic. I have never seen paint that can chip right off with just a rub of your fingernail. Mine does!!! my little CD door has already snapped of for no good reason. The grade control logic is supposed to be a safety feature but all it really does is make you feel like you're gonna fly out of your chair.

What the hell happened to the suspension? The rear suspension is the equivelant of a chevy EXPRESS cargo van!!! I have never felt a rear suspension that handles bumps so poorly. And the understeer on the front end I guess is a result of the new "Independent" suspension. Hey HONDA&gt;&gt;&gt;IF IT AIN"T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!! And why does a loaded EX with AUTO/ABS and SRS AIRBAGS run you close to $19000? That's ridiculous!!! And god forbid they could throw in Alloy tires on the EX model. Most every car company gives you ALLOYS standard now!!

I won't even get into the buzzes and rattles that the radio and moonroof cause.

I couldn't agree with you more. I am taking my issues to the better business bureau because I have dealt with American HONDA and they just turn their heads like I am crazy.

I bought a HONDA for reliability!!! Like most people! I don't even care about third party/aftermarket support which there is very little of still!! I can't even get a simple K&N drop in Filter for the thing because K&N can't seem to make one that will work for it. it's already in it's second year!!!

My girlfriend bought a MERCURY COUGAR and I was skeptical because it was an American Car. that thing has had no problems other than people trying to steal it!!!

SOMETHING MUST BE DONE!!!!!!!
>>

The Paint quality of the bumber panels is pathetic

i have to agree with you on that one the paint quality of the bumper sucks A$$ ive had my civic for about 7 months now and my front is chipping!!
Old 06-02-2002
RON
Registered!!

RON is an unknown quantity at this point
Had my 2k1 over a year and love it and yes I would do it over again in a heartbead, great little car........
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

2K2RallyeRed is an unknown quantity at this point
my familys had 4 hondas since iv been alive and none of them have been bad. I love my 2k2 civic. honda will be a first choice in my mind for the rest of my life.
Old 07-17-2002
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree too. Our family's list of honda's and acura's is loooong. My only regret is I wish I had waited for the Si instead or maybe an accord coupe. Oh well, I can always trade it in. But no, so far I dont really have any major complaints. the 2001's just have a lot of bugs that werent worked out. the '02's were mostly cured of these. that's why you NEVER.....never never never never...buy a car the first year it has been redesigned or in its initial first year of being built. These cars always have recalls, issues, etc. ALWAYS wait till the 2nd year they are on the market. I purposely put off getting the new civic till '02 cause I knew there'd be some issues, didnt think there'd be this many though. Even if I do decide to get the Si, I think I'll wait till their 2nd production year.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

johnride is an unknown quantity at this point
No I don't regret buying my civic I love my car. Yeah I have had the seat problem but they fixed it no big deal. Other than that I have had no problems I love my car.
Old 07-17-2002
Registered!!

vtechin is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't regret buying my civic. I love the car. Sure I have had my share of problems with it, but that is why you have this thing called a warranty. I would much rather have these problems now while the repairs are free than later when I have to shell out the bucks to get it fixed. As far as the paint goes blame the U.S. Government. It requires the use of waterbased paints to protect the environment. Paint probably does not chip like this in Japan.
Old 07-25-2002
Registered!!

Dagooseisloose is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont regret purchasing my Civic but I do regret purchasing a new car. You just notice things more when you buy a car new like dings,dents,scratches. If it as a used civic like a 98 or 99 I dont think I would care that much. Plus a 98 or 99 civic has turbo kits out for it.
Old 07-25-2002

WD40 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't regret it. It's a fun and practical car.

There are times where I think about trading it in for a 6th gen though. I really enjoyed my '99 Civic. I think when I get in better financial shape I might trade my 2k2 EX in for a 2k Si coupe.

I really like the interior of the 7th gens, but I like the 99-2000 body style better and I definitely like the performance potential of the 6th gen's engine more.
Old 01-22-2004
JX6
Redline Adrenaline VP

JX6 has a spectacular aura aboutJX6 has a spectacular aura about
Yeah...I kinda do regret it.I never thought about how slow the civic is.
Well it least it's an EX Coupe
Old 01-22-2004
PJG
Registered!!

PJG is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I do regret it, I wish I had bought the 2001 Nissan Sentra SE.
Better sound system, better wheels, more power!!!
Old 01-22-2004
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Unfortunately, I too regret buying my '02 EX. I'm happy that it's been reliable and has never left me on the road, but I know I would have been happier if I shopped around and bought a used 2K Si, even though they're hard to come by. Or any other 6th gen Civic.
Old 01-22-2004
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills

Jollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really nice
Originally posted by nycivic

I researched cars for months before I picked up the CIVIC. Reliability was where I thought the CIVIC had the edge. And obviously I WAS WRONG!!! Plain and simple. Now I know why Focus' outsold CIVIC's last year.
You're flat wrong. THe civic was the #7 highest selling vehicle in America last year. The Focus didn't even make the top 10...

This is such an annoying thread... I love it when one or two guys have a problem with their car and automaticaly brand every other car like it as a piece of junk! LOL! I have 2 friends that mimic just what you said about your civic when they talk about their Focuses. The fact is that all makes of car will have a lemon here and there. Hondas have always been more reliabile than most manufacturers are and still are to this today. You were the unlucky guy who got the one in million, oh well. I feel bad for you, in the end it doesn't change the fact there there are about 300K people a year who buy civics and are completely happy with them. So you can warn people that you had a bad experience, but you look stupid trying to diss a whole brand of cars. Especially when you diss them on a site developed by enthusiasts of that car.

BTW - I haven't had even so much as a rattle on my car. Runs as well as the day I bought it...
Old 01-22-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
i kinda regret buying it.....i wish i would have bought a rsx-s and boosted it.
Old 01-22-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
why in the hell does these old threads keep getting brought back to life ?
Old 01-22-2004
Premium Member

Originally posted by Jollysid
You're flat wrong. THe civic was the #7 highest selling vehicle in America last year. The Focus didn't even make the top 10...

This is such an annoying thread... I love it when one or two guys have a problem with their car and automaticaly brand every other car like it as a piece of junk! LOL! I have 2 friends that mimic just what you said about your civic when they talk about their Focuses. The fact is that all makes of car will have a lemon here and there. Hondas have always been more reliabile than most manufacturers are and still are to this today. You were the unlucky guy who got the one in million, oh well. I feel bad for you, in the end it doesn't change the fact there there are about 300K people a year who buy civics and are completely happy with them. So you can warn people that you had a bad experience, but you look stupid trying to diss a whole brand of cars. Especially when you diss them on a site developed by enthusiasts of that car.

BTW - I haven't had even so much as a rattle on my car. Runs as well as the day I bought it...
haha, u quoted a old post
Old 01-22-2004
Shows No Remorse

DistinctiveBP is an unknown quantity at this point
i regret getting it.
i should have gone with the 00 si
Old 01-22-2004
Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills

Jollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really niceJollysid is just really nice
Originally posted by civic01vtec
haha, u quoted a old post
It just annoyed me when that kid was full of it and no would call him on it...
Old 01-22-2004
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
who cares at least we don't own eclipse's. Those things are soo pathetic and ugly doesnt matter. Talking about the non v6 version and Im talking about the new ones
I like our cars, seriously the only thing they fall short in is power and thats solved with a turbo so why complain we are better than sentras, neons, focases, corrolla's. Im talking about the non-performance models. We dont have a performance car tor ate against a Srt4. However, slap a turbo on and we kick *** too! so put this old tread to rest and stop the wine. Just be glad you dont own a mustang v6!
Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

Freak is an unknown quantity at this point
yes....its good for college though (gas mileage) but its not fast nor will mine ever be, I think its damn near pointless where im at in life to drop a new motor or turbo it. Im just gonna wait till I get a nice job to get a nice car... I think it goes hand in hand
Old 01-22-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
Yes and no. My dad bought me this as a graduation present. He said after the fact that if he had known I'd be SO into modding, he would have bought me a used car (the white 01 celica I was eyeing) since I'd be replacing all the parts anyway. His intention was to buy a NEW car without any car troubles that had good gas mileage. I'm pretty glad that I have the civic because if I didn't then I don't think I'd be in a car club (7thgencivic) as widespread/supporting of aftermarket stuff. But hey it's the first real car I ever had so I can't complain.

I'm basically paying off all of my student loan by myself which comes to close to $14k so you can kind of see it as if I were paying off my own car. I guess.
Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

sCoTtEh is an unknown quantity at this point
i regret it every single day i look at it in the morning
Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

CivicTrip will become famous soon enoughCivicTrip will become famous soon enough
I love my civic, its my second 7th Gen, I had a 2k1 Dx, great car, very reliable, like all of my hondas, but there were many bugs, most the dealer took care of, then after the warranty was up, it needed too much work done and someone hit me anyway, and I got a good Deal on a 2k2 Lx at the end of the 02 year, and this civic is much better than my other, I haven't had any of the problems that i had with the 2k1, my only regret is that I should've gotten an Si, rather than another coupe. Theres nothing like getting a new car just like your old one, it feels boring, but as I said, I got a good deal

Last edited by CivicTrip; 01-22-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2004
Bone Stock!

dalaw is an unknown quantity at this point
I regret that I should have waited one more year for the 04 to come out and I should have gotten a stick instead of auto.
Old 01-22-2004
Premium Member

genx_7 is an unknown quantity at this point
YES^ to the 1,000,000,000th power
Old 01-22-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Well it saves me money on gas, so I guess no.
Old 01-22-2004
JJJ
Registered!!

JJJ is an unknown quantity at this point
I love my car, it's the best. Every mod I do I love my car even more.
Old 01-22-2004
Registered!!

CivicXLR8ion is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by JJJ
I love my car, it's the best. Every mod I do I love my car even more.
i second tha. when i was getting rid of my Pontiac Sunfire(best decision i ever made) i wanted a new Civic and im glad i got one.
Old 01-23-2004
Registered!!

82801BA is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a door glass, brake warning indicator, and several other things...The window regulartors have been changed under warranty, and the car is not yet 1 year old....
Old 01-23-2004
Currently boosted at 0 psi.

ThsUserNmIsDumb is on a distinguished road
I love my car, and I think I got it for a good deal; however, I just found out this kid I know got a modded integra [one of my favorite import compacts] for the same price as my car... I'm over it.

Quick Reply: Do You Regret Purchasing Your 7th Gen Civic?