General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

B16A gurus... neo, SIracer....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlexLx is an unknown quantity at this point
B16A gurus... neo, SIracer....

Ok, This summer I'm thinking about buying a used 99-00 si coupe. I've been researching the Vortech kit and have heard only good things. The S/C kit is 100% in the plan as well. Running 10 psi on the aftercooled version of the kit, I believe it is suggested that we toughen the bottom end eventhough Vortech engineered it for stock engine capacities.

My question is this:

Would JDM CTR parts be suffice to withstand the 10 psi? Would this keep the engine from blowing as long as I don't "dog" it? Lets say that I get it all, (connecting rods, cams, pistons, header, intake manifold and hell even the throttle body) Basically, an all out CTR B16A conversion.

How much HP (we'll say @ flywheel) does a CTR put out? 200? Just want some numbers.

Of course i would need a LSD and clutch flywheel as well as a tweaked suspension setup.

This car would only be a weekend racer. I will still have my 2K1 for daily driving.

BTW: is the B16A an easy engine to work on? (internally that is) becuase mechanics have run in my family for two generations and I think its about time I got my feet wet. mmm hobby car. (Good thing my grandfather has a separate garage with engine hoist and basically anything I'd need.)
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

NitehawkVTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
The CTR has a b16b, with 185hp.
Old 02-26-2002
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Getting engine work done is good any time you are going forced induction. Yes, the B16 engine is fun to work on, and fairly easy I guess as far as engines go. I would suggest you maybe look at turbo instead of surpercharger though. especially since you are using it for race purposes. The vortech is nice, but it's not very linear. It's very peaky in it's HP and doesnt add as much area under the curve as you'd think it would. I have raced vortech Si's in my car and I still win. (they run about mustang GT speed or slower) But a turbo has much greater potential for HP and a boost controller gives you unlimited control. I have raced Si's with turbo's and I lost to one. They are much faster than their supercharged brethren.
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
ive heard that Vortech's blow engines easily. Wouldnt touch one with a five foot stick.

s2000man is right, listen to his post.
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

eXNBP is an unknown quantity at this point
JG low compression pistons and turbo is youre friend my son[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

KoNkReTeNj is an unknown quantity at this point
I wouldn't do anything with a turbos... don't want to blow my engine[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

SiRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
AlexLX,
Personally, I wouldn't mess with the Vortech system. I was talking to a friend about it, and he said you would need to mess around with too many things for it to work really good. Of course if it is only a weekend racer you might be able to get by with it. But sooner or later you WILL run into problems
Personally, it wouldn't be for me.
The B16A is a great motor, it is easy to work on, and I would highly recommend it.

Why not go with a turbo. I really like the Greddy bolt on turbo kit (D-397-7) I think it it. It is an easy direct bolt on, and I don't think you would have too much to worry about, unlike the Vortech kit.

If I still had my Si this is what I would do, But stay away from the Vortech
You have been warned

Let us know what you do
[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]
Old 02-26-2002
Registered!!

normaspirated is an unknown quantity at this point
Actually, I think Si or GSR cams are better for boosted applications compared to CTR's because CTR cams are made for N/A applications (duh[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]). The ITR and CTR cams have high duration on them which isn't good for boost anyway. Stock Si parts are better to use for boost compared to ITR and CTR parts 'cause the B16B and the B18C5 are most likely at it's full potential for N/A use. There are some people who have had success with ITR and CTR parts on their boosted motor, though. It's all about tuning. Here's a setup that I would do without using OEM Honda parts:

-Vortech kit w/ Aftercooler
-AEM Fuel Rail
-Rc 440's
-Bosch Fuel pump
-JG 9.1 pistons
-Forged (crower) rods
-Crower cams
-Heads ported and polished
-Stainless steel (good ones like crower) valves, valve retainers, valve springs
-Greddy BOV
-1:1 SX fuel pressure regulator
-Hondata FMU