General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

3rd week into automotive school

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crazea03 will become famous soon enough
3rd week into automotive school

well so far ive learned
camshafts
crankshafts
piston and connecting rods
cooling system
types of oils to use
valves
valve springs
cylinder heads
blocks( how they are designed)
Old 03-08-2006
awd pwnz j00
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

import2nr is an unknown quantity at this point
sweeet
Old 03-08-2006
Words on a User Title

ramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond reputeramcosca has a reputation beyond repute
Nice. Keep us updated.
Old 03-08-2006

putting sythentic oil is no different than conventional cuz it has the same the additives , and it helps to lengthening the time of when to change your oil but you still have to replace the filter every 3000 miles so there is no point for anyone to be using synthentic oil. its out there but no point. and should read the ratings on the back of the bottles.

ratings
sm- for 05 vehicles and down
sl- for 04 and down
sj- for 01 and down
sh- obsolete - not recommended for gasoline combustion engines-you can use it gardening tools but not for cars

you can sm for any vehicle from 1979-2005
you cannot use lower rating oils in newer vehicles
meaning you cannot use sl rating oil in an 05 cuz sm has more additives in the oil.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by crazea03
well so far ive learned
camshafts
crankshafts
piston and connecting rods
cooling system
types of oils to use
valves
valve springs
cylinder heads
blocks( how they are designed)
Same as me except blocks, now im doing Fuels Trannys Manual, Suspension , and i gotta do electrics class again becuase i didnt pass itthe 1st time....i never went to that class semmed pointless but i need it its boring as hell
Old 03-08-2006

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
cool beans, where are you going? is it a degree or certificate?

im in my second year, fourth semester of auto school and right now im learning how the computers in the car communicate with each other to decide what to do and all taht fun stuff i never thought id learn.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

boxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the roughboxcarracer is a jewel in the rough
putting sythentic oil is no different than conventional cuz it has the same the additives , and it helps to lengthening the time of when to change your oil but you still have to replace the filter every 3000 miles so there is no point for anyone to be using synthentic oil. its out there but no point. and should read the ratings on the back of the bottles.

ratings
sm- for 05 vehicles and down
sl- for 04 and down
sj- for 01 and down
sh- obsolete - not recommended for gasoline combustion engines-you can use it gardening tools but not for cars

you can sm for any vehicle from 1979-2005
you cannot use lower rating oils in newer vehicles
meaning you cannot use sl rating oil in an 05 cuz sm has more additives in the oil.
why do i think thats wrong....ill get back to that soon when i read my notes im sure thats not true synthetic is good for a couple of reasons shows how much i payed attention

Originally Posted by ncirom2003
cool beans, where are you going? is it a degree or certificate?

im in my second year, fourth semester of auto school and right now im learning how the computers in the car communicate with each other to decide what to do and all taht fun stuff i never thought id learn.

Farmingdale State Univ. pretty bad school becuase they dont really show u how things really work...if u go to this school u gotta have a REALLY good imagination and u dont do hands on as much until 2nd year..and degree is 2 yrs then im going to a automotive school like lincoln tech

Last edited by boxcarracer; 03-08-2006 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
putting sythentic oil is no different than conventional cuz it has the same the additives

there is no point for anyone to be using synthentic oil. its out there but no point

im not trying to mean or anything but really...cmon you said it yourself you've been in class 3 days..please dont take everything lil thing you learn to be 100% accurate your comments are reckless, irresponsile, and have been proven untrue...saying that there is no point for ppl to use synthetic is just stupid there are a lot of article out there and test that show the benefits of synthetic oils its a good thing that your are in auto school i wish i could go...but dont turn into one of these guys that knows it all or starts spreading news without merit mechanics that say using synthetic oil has no point is the reason why i started working on my own car
Old 03-08-2006

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
Same as me except blocks, now im doing Fuels Trannys Manual, Suspension , and i gotta do electrics class again becuase i didnt pass itthe 1st time....i never went to that class semmed pointless but i need it its boring as hell
this is mean but, if you plan on working in the automotive field you better learn electrical or dont bother, especially with all these hybrids coming out, if you go to a dealership or even independent shop and they say diagnose an electrical problem and you sit there looking at the car and a schematic like a retard youll be fired. again sorry to be mean but ive gone through alot of electrical training and worked in the field for a while, trust me its just as important as anything else.

Originally Posted by jerseydetailer

im not trying to mean or anything but really...cmon you said it yourself you've been in class 3 days..please dont take everything lil thing you learn to be 100% accurate your comments are reckless, irresponsile, and have been proven untrue...saying that there is no point for ppl to use synthetic is just stupid there are a lot of article out there and test that show the benefits of synthetic oils its a good thing that your are in auto school i wish i could go...but dont turn into one of these guys that knows it all or starts spreading news without merit mechanics that say using synthetic oil has no point is the reason why i started working on my own car
ouch! haha owned, sorry but theyre right, synthetic oil DOES have reasons to use it.

Last edited by ncirom2003; 03-08-2006 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
i bet you hes going to uti b/c thats the first course you go to.

crazea03- how did you like jumpstart

UTI for life
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

this is mean but, if you plan on working in the automotive field you better learn electrical or dont bother, especially with all these hybrids coming out, if you go to a dealership or even independent shop and they say diagnose an electrical problem and you sit there looking at the car and a schematic like a retard youll be fired. again sorry to be mean but ive gone through alot of electrical training and worked in the field for a while, trust me its just as important as anything else.
yea i relized that in the end itsa easy class but i never went i could do that class without trying its just 3 formulas and learning a few defintiosn and thats about it....so next semester ill finish it but this class only teaches simple electric things

yeah i know thers a reason for synthetic becuase my teacher had a 2 hr lecture on it and woulnt shut up so im sure he said why it was good but i got tons of notes if u still say its pointless......soo what school are u going to? damn i thought farmingdale sucked butt

Last edited by boxcarracer; 03-08-2006 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2006

im not sayin that i know everything im just telling wat the professor told me and ive here for 3 weeks

and people can false advertise just intakes for our cars like aem says we can get how much hp like 3-5 prob which is not true cuz ppl have dynoed their cars with that intake and saw no results.

like high mileage oil no point cuz your still wearing down your bearings on the main journals which hold your crankshaft in place. and no it does not lengthen the life of your vehicle.

professor is a master tech ase certified and performance vehicle mechanic

i go to uti in exton,pa and its certification

jump start was iight I BROKE WOOD!!!

Last edited by crazea03; 03-08-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

ur professor must bee ollllld school he must not like technology and people using this new "synthetic" dooo hicky
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

goodtimes is on a distinguished road
all you need to know about electric stuff is ohm's law
Old 03-08-2006

im not saying there aren't pros to using synthetic just y use it and waste more money on synthetic oil when you still have to change the filter every 3000 miles.

nope my professor is still in perfomance building he is like 30yrs. he builds hot rods.

Last edited by crazea03; 03-08-2006 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

well there isnt godlike oil yet ...till then 3000 miles or 3 months is the recommended time to change oil
Old 03-08-2006

boxcar, im going to ben franklin institute of tech, for a bachelors in science of automotive, first two are intense and second two are even more in depth with electronic systems like obd2 and the new systems and hybrids plus more business management training. and i was agreeing with you guys about the synthetic being good.

crazea03, dont go throwing words you just learned around, trust me i know the insides of an engine and what they do like you know the back of your hand.and im already ase certified in 3 things, got four tests coming up in may that ill probably pass. and the ONLY point of high mileage oil is it lasts longer (assuming your talking about the new 15k oil) if your talking about the oil specifically for older engines, it DOES help, its thicker even after it heats up because the clearances in the engine will be larger over such a long life so thicker oil is needed. and big deal, all but like 1 of my professors are master techs most with like 40 years experience and some of them have theyre L1 which is one step up from a master tech also.
ans sorry but uti sucks, at least the one in MA does, several dealerships have told people that they will hire a ben franklin grad way before a uti grad, cus uti just wants to pump kids through for a high pass rate, so more people come and more people pass and more people come and more pass all equaling money to them, they dont go in depth as much as is needed which is obvious already.
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

im not saying hes a bad teachers....just be carefull he might tell u his opinions on things but not the facts
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

jerseydetailer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
im not sayin that i know everything im just telling wat the professor told me and ive here for 3 weeks

and people can false advertise just intakes for our cars like aem says we can get how much hp like 3-5 prob which is not true cuz ppl have dynoed their cars with that intake and saw no results.

like high mileage oil no point cuz your still wearing down your bearings on the main journals which hold your crankshaft in place. and no it does not lengthen the life of your vehicle.

professor is a master tech ase certified and performance vehicle mechanic

i go to uti in exton,pa and its certification

jump start was iight I BROKE WOOD!!!

you made a good choice..uti is a very good school...after i get done wit school i might move and take uti night classes...most likely exton as its closest to
Old 03-08-2006

Originally Posted by goodtimes
all you need to know about electric stuff is ohm's law
not true at all, you need to understand opens, shorts, and how all the components work such as alternator and starter, which means youll also learn a little bit of A/C not just D/C, ohms law might get you buy when testing fuses or things with test lights but thats about all.
Old 03-08-2006

iight watever you guys say i mean you guys are prob not wrong but idk
and i about teachers being in the feild for 40 yrs. how long were they working as mechanics cuz i know teachers who say the been in the business true, but been a mechanic for like 5 yrs then went to parts manger or service writer or other bs*
Old 03-08-2006
Registered!!

[QUOTE=ncirom2003]boxcar, im going to ben franklin institute of tech, for a bachelors in science of automotive, first two are intense and second two are even more in depth with electronic systems like obd2 and the new systems and hybrids plus more business management training. and i was agreeing with you guys about the synthetic being good.
the coarsse im taking is just for the cars out now hyrbrids i guess the school expects us to learn some other place and they call them selves a tech school...such lies but yeah right now im doing everything but electrics well nothing big in electrics just basics....ew hybrids...when i get a job ill recommend them to you....you cxan fix there hyrbid
Old 03-08-2006

Originally Posted by boxcarracer
im not saying hes a bad teachers....just be carefull he might tell u his opinions on things but not the facts
yea gotta be careful of this, luckily my teacher would always say "maybe its just me but i think............" or "personally i think........." and hed always say its just his opinion not a fact.

[QUOTE=boxcarracer]
boxcar, im going to ben franklin institute of tech, for a bachelors in science of automotive, first two are intense and second two are even more in depth with electronic systems like obd2 and the new systems and hybrids plus more business management training. and i was agreeing with you guys about the synthetic being good.
the coarsse im taking is just for the cars out now hyrbrids i guess the school expects us to learn some other place and they call them selves a tech school...such lies but yeah right now im doing everything but electrics well nothing big in electrics just basics....ew hybrids...when i get a job ill recommend them to you....you cxan fix there hyrbid
lol ****, those things are confusing, but go figure, out of the two major systems (hondas ima and toyotas synergy) honda has the easiest least complex design plus it works just as well.
one thing to remember DONT TOUCH THE ORANGE CABLES! they carry about 440 volts of alternating current meaning you dont have to be grounded to the circuit to get shocked to ****.

Last edited by ncirom2003; 03-08-2006 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2006

did you guys hear about new oil i fogot the name of it. they had a demonstration of it being used in a car . the guy put the oil in as you normally would and let it run for like 15 min or so and then shut it off dropped the oil pann and turned the car back on and let it run for about 3 three hours with no oil flowing through it. i think it had to do something with the additives they use in the oil
Old 03-08-2006

iight watever you guys say i mean you guys are prob not wrong but idk
and i about teachers being in the feild for 40 yrs. how long were they working as mechanics cuz i know teachers who say the been in the business true, but been a mechanic for like 5 yrs then went to parts manger or service writer or other bs*
nope, mechanics owning theyre own shops for the most part, non were service wirters or desk jockies. although one of them was a mechanical engineer for a few years.
Old 03-08-2006

prob i should have reworded my post of synthetic oil like you guys its just opinion but some things like they are true not all but some.

i hate writng i cant seem to get out the right words and then everyone jumps on you.

i feel like we should be having a face off
lol
im better than you are !!!!
im just playin everyone, certain people have their thoughts on things compared to someone else.

Last edited by crazea03; 03-08-2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2006

im not trying to come off as a retard, i dont think im better than anyone. i just have strong opinions on things like these. lol
Old 03-08-2006

ok which valve is usually bigger the exhaust or intake?

name the parts on the crankshaft?

how do u know which way a piston should be put on? easy one

take that mr. smarty pants, lol
Old 03-09-2006
Registered!!

ok which valve is usually bigger the exhaust or intake?

name the parts on the crankshaft?

how do u know which way a piston should be put on? easy one

take that mr. smarty pants, lol
1.intake
2. umm ill go get my text book
3. um are u serious?
4.name the parts on the crankshaft? <---no "?"
Old 03-09-2006

intake is correct

you know main journal, rod journals, counter weights, and fillets