General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

How to defend our four bangers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006
I spent 1425 points to do this.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
How to defend our four bangers...

ok so some of you know my story- i bought an 87' starion engine to rebuild in my engines class at school http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...96#post3683496.

so every day i have to deal with all these american muscle car heads who are in love with mustang 5.0s (i swear i see like 6-10 in the shop every day) and chevy 350 engines...

how in the hell do i defend my engine? the best i have is- "well, i dont need a v8 because my car doesnt weigh 4000lbs".. sometimes i resort to the whole gas savings thing, which makes me look like a wuss. i need some new lines!

the guys have some valid points- regarding cost vs power. american v8 performance parts are cheaper, and easier to find. you can spend a fortune on a 4-cylinder just to have it compete with a big-8 that cost much less.

theres more personal satisfaction in squeezing power from a 4, imo. also- big 8s are a thing of the past- out with the old, in with the new, right?.. theres another defense line.
Old 02-06-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
reliability and gas mileage basically is what i use, "wow, i hope your proud, your v8 is so fast it's gonna beat me to the gas station AND to the junk yard, why can't i be as cool as you?" or "you know your odometer doesn't go past 99,000 miles? Cuz niether will your car"
Old 02-06-2006
I spend way too much time on this website

LowSky is an unknown quantity at this point
tell them you want to see how much power to displacement you can get

for example the S2000 puts out 240hp with 2.4 liters of diplacement, thats 100 hp per liter

the corvette z06 puts out 505hp with 7 liters thats 72hp per liter

unfortunatly american V8 have one thing japanese I4 dont have and thats torque and power fron 2k RPMs,while japanese engines do better in the 4K- 8K RPM range and some top end motors top out at 10K rpm (most American engines top out at 6-7K RPM with most power delivered by 4K rpm)
so japanese engines generly have a longer power band than american counter parts
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
actaully, the AP1 S2000's pushed out 120 hp per liter before their little bump into the 2.2 displacement. I think thats a number that no NA car has beaten if im not mistaken. if s2000man can see this, im sure he will correct me if i am wrong. so yea, when honda comes out w/ a 7.0liter motor that pushes out 120hp per liter, i wouldnt be suprised
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
oh yea btw, honda has never made a 2.4 S2000 motor before.
Old 02-06-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
tell them anyone can get a lot of power out of a V8. You wanted to challenge yourself with a turbo 4
Old 02-06-2006
Abercrombie and Fitch

joescivic02 is on a distinguished road
tell them that they are right because you had to go and ask us what lines to use
Old 02-06-2006
Abercrombie and Fitch

jk buddy
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

BlackLX is an unknown quantity at this point
"thats a nice skyline.....but it aint no 5.0!!!!!!!!"
lmao. tell them to go muddin and do some drankin. did you get that truck whatcha did yah?

edit: before i get flamed i know that skylines arent 4 bangers!!. just clarifying!
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
You are in the wrong place to defend a 4 cylinder engine. No matter what you say would make you sound bitter, wouldn't it be?

Don't take me wrong, I like Honda compact car their 4 cylinder engine is the most practical on the street, but its ultimate purpose is to stay longer and save gas.

Obviously your school is for purely muscle racing and hotrods. Honda would not use 4 cylinder in a such race neither. Maybe you can tell them to not misunderstand Honda only because the company make some fun little cars for the public!
Old 02-06-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
um...lets see, tell them that you could push more hp out of your 4 banger than their 5.0s
cause its true.
here is an obvious one.
its more impressive to push 600 hp out of a 4 banger than to push 600hp out of a v8
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
i wouldn't even bother...like you said..it's more rewarding to get big hp numbers out of a small engine...chevy 350 w/ 400 hp/400 tq...easy, all-day number...the same out of a b/d/h/k takes quite a bit more effort and attention to detail to make sure it's not a one-time thing. and to do it while still burning less gas and still being streetable is reason enough for me
Old 02-06-2006
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
K20A 2.0 220 bhp 110hp per litre
F20C 2.0 240 bhp 120hp per litre
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

like boiler says "I get 20mpg at redline ALLLL DAYYY"
Old 02-06-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
here is a semi-good one: tell them that you still want to have your hearing after age 30, cause they won't have it with straight pipes and glasspacks!!
penny...penny...my two cents!
Old 02-06-2006
I spent 1425 points to do this.

SOHC is an unknown quantity at this point
nice job guys- all good stuff i can use!!! but in the end, until i show them i can compete, i wont have any real respect.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Haha ricey exhausts are loud too.

Its a hard argument. Larger Displacement engine > Smaller displacement engine when it comes to power. Sorry, thats just the way it is.
Old 02-06-2006
Ever Wonder What P.O.S.B.A.S. Is An Acronym For

P.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enoughP.O.S.B.A.S.04 will become famous soon enough
if respect is all you want, just don't take it too seriously (until you can show them up) and just be cool with them...you never know, you could learn something from them and vice versa!! good luck man!!!

rice cannons are loud, but not anywhere close to as loud as 405 with straight pipes and glasspacks, that is like a 747 going over head!! rice cannons are just letting people know you are there, to put it kindly!

Last edited by P.O.S.B.A.S.04; 02-06-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

JetRudie is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SOHC
until i show them i can compete, i wont have any real respect.
Why would you want the respect of such tasteless morons?

Bitches...I mean, Guys like that should be called Motorist. Not motorist in the sense of a person who operates machinery with a motor. But as in Motorism, the discrimination of vehicles that are different. Like racism. Haha, where am I going with this...?
Old 02-06-2006
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Any idiot could tune the crap out of a V8, thats why so many have...

It takes skill to tune a smaller engine. Porsches 911's have been racing with 6 cylinder engines and EVERYONE knows they're sportscars that are so well balanced that they'll put up a good fight against any other car around a racetrack.

I seriously would like to see either a raceworth 4-cylinder or a fuel-efficient V12/W12. I mean, you don't see those kind of vehicles everyday. V8s though are in everything from sportscars to grandpa cars and trucks....
Old 02-06-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
This thread is stupid.

How about this - understand that you don't drive a racecar and if someone picks on you for having a 4-banger, tell them you like your car and if they don't, it's a good thing they're not the one driving it.

Hp/litre is a ricer defense. Great... some imports make 100hp+ per litre... D17s DON'T. D17s make about 75hp/litre and the number only gets worse if you want to measure whp/litre.

"My car'll last 200,000 miles" is a crappy defense, too. Do you really want to be driving a Civic when it's old and has 200,000miles on the odo? I don't.

Civics are cheap and reliable. They get good mileage and don't break down often. They look pretty nice, too. That's it.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

I know this dude ain't postin' that **** on a seventhgen CIVIC forum...
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice

Its the truth and if you say different then you are dumb.
Old 02-06-2006
I brake for hairy Hawaiian midgets

manahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond reputemanahoonie has a reputation beyond repute
inform them of Toyota joining NASCAR. that'll get them mad! lol.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by manahoonie
inform them of Toyota joining NASCAR. that'll get them mad! lol.
HAHAHA! Dude, no lie that was ****in hilarious.

Originally Posted by thatdudewiththegoldcivicavatar

Its the truth and if you say different then you are dumb.
Yeah, I guess you're right. I just hate to admit it. It's true, Civic, although extremely popular, is one of the weakest vehicles as far as racing goes.
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

hotdogpilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by white2K2EX
This thread is stupid.

How about this - understand that you don't drive a racecar and if someone picks on you for having a 4-banger, tell them you like your car and if they don't, it's a good thing they're not the one driving it.

Hp/litre is a ricer defense. Great... some imports make 100hp+ per litre... D17s DON'T. D17s make about 75hp/litre and the number only gets worse if you want to measure whp/litre.

"My car'll last 200,000 miles" is a crappy defense, too. Do you really want to be driving a Civic when it's old and has 200,000miles on the odo? I don't.

Civics are cheap and reliable. They get good mileage and don't break down often. They look pretty nice, too. That's it.

^ word. this guy got it dead on. covered what i was going to say and more. civics are pretty sweet for their price and reliability, but any cobra or ls1 driver who picks on civics in terms of speed is an idiot because a civic clearly isnt meant for it
Old 02-06-2006
Registered!!

hotdogpilot is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by JetRudie
Yeah, I guess you're right. I just hate to admit it. It's true, Civic, although extremely popular, is one of the weakest vehicles as far as racing goes.

^ it's true. the civic is really slow. when i was a kid growing up and first introduced to cars during highschool, i thought the civic was a really fast car thanks to all the ricers in the student lot. i thought the loud ones were even faster
Old 02-06-2006
Abercrombie and Fitch

its pretty sad that the muscle heads have to pick on the civic because most people who own civics have ruined their reputations and are a disgrace if you know what i mean
Old 02-07-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
Be like -

your like the guy on tv, "I SMELL A HEMI! PULL UP NEXT TO IT!!"

ALL AMERICAN POWER BABY!! YEAHHH v8 TORQUE BAHHHHHHHH

Damn uneducated hillbillies.
Old 02-07-2006
I sure wish my car was newer

white2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of lightwhite2K2EX is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by spoonJDMlX
Be like -

your like the guy on tv, "I SMELL A HEMI! PULL UP NEXT TO IT!!"

ALL AMERICAN POWER BABY!! YEAHHH v8 TORQUE BAHHHHHHHH

Damn uneducated hillbillies.
Don't even bother man. Just let the dude you know you like your car and you're happy he likes his. No need to argue with fools, 'cause people from a distance...

Quick Reply: How to defend our four bangers...