General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Help me pick

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006
Bobaganoosh!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Help me pick

Since I've moved out west I've come to the possible conclusion that my civic just isn't suiting the life that I'm leading. I've gotten back into being an 'outdoors' kinda person as my g.f and I spend a majority of our free time hiking in somewhat remote areas.

She drives a Geo Tracker which is actually better suited to get to these areas than my civic but I think I'd rather get rid of the car and maybe pick up a used import truck...nothing new or anything...just reliable and tough.

anyone have a truck or could some of you guys recommend a few for me to look at? I know the various models but couldn't really rate them with what I know.

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
well depends on if you want 4x4 ability or a suv instead of a truck. Nissan, honda, Ford, Chevy all have trucks
Old 01-13-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
check out the tacomas. the late 90's ones are relatively cheap, they're built solid and have a really good off road capability. and on top of it all, its a toyota .
Old 01-13-2006
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eye_see_you
well depends on if you want 4x4 ability or a suv instead of a truck. Nissan, honda, Ford, Chevy all have trucks
yeah...I would like a 4x4 but I'm not afraid of an SUV-like vehicle such as the 4 Runners and so on. I want to stick with the import trucks
Old 01-13-2006
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Id say go for a RAV 4 those are awsome in the small SUV dept.... Kinda like the geo but alot more reliable...

Also the 4 runners are great period and well worth the money.

Stay away from Jeep (Used)

Id look for those models.....

Also if you have the extra cash a Highlander is also a great purchase 2001 models are sweet
Old 01-13-2006
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
get a subaru. or, a frontier before they became huge. like a 01 model.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shifty is on a distinguished road
i say put a lift kit on your civic............lol.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
get a wrangler or a cherokee and raise that fvcker...put some huge tires on it and youre good to go.

if i lived in the boonies somewhere i would totally get a wrangler. top down in the summers...legendary off road capabilities...

the isuzu montero is also a tough bastard....the older ones.

it depends on what kind of driving youll actually be doing though. im a big fan of the suby outback...the sedan...we used to have one and i loved it!
Old 01-13-2006
"You leave me in the trenches taking Grenades, John"

Stachmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by pbfoot
get a wrangler or a cherokee and raise that fvcker...put some huge tires on it and youre good to go.

if i lived in the boonies somewhere i would totally get a wrangler. top down in the summers...legendary off road capabilities...
My friend has a wrangler...tons of fun. Summers are awesome with that thing, he takes off the top, doors, everything. I considered trading in my car for a minute. He has had a few problems with it, but they're all this fault (ran into things and over things while offroading).
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
The 4wd systems on the imports are really nice. They never seem to fail. The Pathfinders and 4 runners are nice, so is the Rodeo. They all are great little suvs made for the outdoors. Problem is they are imports, so no matter what they will be more $$
Old 01-13-2006

soonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the roughsoonercivic is a jewel in the rough
When it comes to trucks, and especially 4x4 trucks, nothing compares to a Chevy. But if you wanna stick with imports, go with Toyota. Their trucks are the most durable and rugged imports out there. However, being from Oklahoma where we use trucks for what they are intended, Chevy, GMC, and Ford (hurts to say that one) will be the best ones you can get. The 4x4 silverado, or even the Avalanche are awesome trucks and have a huge aftermarket if you want to upgrade. Just my opinion.
Old 01-13-2006
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
I say buy toyota, pickup or suv you will be pleased
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
i like the exterra also....looks like a ballsy suv
Old 01-13-2006
How many pots have you smoken?

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
i hope viper was kidding about the RAV4...it sucks *****. it has no power what so ever, guzzles gas cuz its all time 4x4, and not to mention it looks like a grandma should be driving it.

wrangler would be sweet
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

Pedro Lopes is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 2005 nissan frontier with the nismo offroad package and I love it. It's insane at offroading. It also has electronic limited slip in the axles. Oh yeah I have the 6 speed by the way. My dad has a '99 frontier and that thing has been great, no problems at all.
Old 01-13-2006
THE LONE STAR STATE

texascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of lighttexascivic2k1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Shifty
i say put a lift kit on your civic............lol.

IMO... Like Rennen said look at the Toyota's late 90's pickups, you will be pleased.

texascivic2k1
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

aznrocka is an unknown quantity at this point
like mentioned above...if you want a pick up go for toyota...almost everybody in my family has one (except for me of course).
Old 01-13-2006
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
I have a honda Pilot EX-L and love it for its SUV likeness and 4x4 ability it was not to expensive either but the Tacoma or 4 runner are good deals as well
Old 01-13-2006
Bobaganoosh!

I'm looking at maybe a 1996 Tacoma or 4Runner with 4x4 and extended cab. I want to be able to haul a motorcycle in the back, or mountain bikes or a pair of kayaks.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
i didnt even take the time to read everyones posts because to me they mean jack. but i do have to say that the best midsized truck on the market today is the nissan forntier. now i am usually a toyo man when it comes to a 4x but the new frontier has 265hp. that is as much as the damn tundra and a samller truck. a buddy of mine bought one and is absolutely in love with it. he says the acceleration is like driving a sports car but your in a truck. i would at least give them a shot since you in the market if not i would 100% reccomend a toyo either a 4 runner of taco because the rav 4's are fugly and useless
Old 01-13-2006
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
IF you want a nice truck to do mild off-roading, I second the tacoma. A late model with the TRD package would be great. If you want a small truck off-road monster then get a Chevrolet S-10 with the ZR2 package. It has a 3 inch lift and better shocks and axles from the factory.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
Originally Posted by acjones21
IF you want a nice truck to do mild off-roading, I second the tacoma. A late model with the TRD package would be great. If you want a small truck off-road monster then get a Chevrolet S-10 with the ZR2 package. It has a 3 inch lift and better shocks and axles from the factory.
i own an s10 and i would get a taco over one any day. in fact i wish i would have. but didnt know that until after my purchase. i am actually looking into a new taco to trade it in. if not ill take the vic as the toy and get the wife a TL which is think is the route i am taking
Old 01-13-2006
Supertastic Member.

Dishwasher is an unknown quantity at this point
got the dough go for the ridgeline w00t. but you said used so i'd recommend a tacoma (trd package ftw)
Old 01-13-2006
Premium Member

04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice
I say a Tacoma for what you're wanting to do with it.I had a Toyota SR5 4X4 all lifted awhile back and it went through anything. Wasn't cheap to fix though.