General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Most useless add-on to a car EVER...aside from headlight wiperblades...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
Most useless add-on to a car EVER...aside from headlight wiperblades...

has anyone else noticed that commercial for the Buick lucerne, that comes with an optional WasherFluid Heater?

WTF?!?!?!

is this a good thing or does anyone else agree with me that you can save yourself time and money by just rain-x-ing the damn windshield....
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
good idea but there is the possiblity that you can crack the windshield like that.
Old 12-04-2005
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
that crap is useful in NY. in florida it serves no purpose but gramps will still get it.
Old 12-04-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
I guess it's to warm up the fluid so that it's easier for it to squirt out when there is ice or snow blocking the nozzles. kinda stupid though, for the amount of time it takes to heat up like a gallon of fluid, you could just clean off the ice from the nozzles..but then again, this is probably just another reason for GM to fire 30,000 employees.
Old 12-04-2005
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
i dont know, but it may not 'heat' the winshield washer fluid like you would naturally think it would.. it may just keep the windshield washer fluid from freezing..

i dont know.. i'd just buy the de-icing windshield washer fluid that has a lesser chance of freezing..
Old 12-04-2005

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
I agree and I saw the commercial for it and at the bottom in small print it said this "approximate time of 'heated' fluid discharge is 40 seconds" so thats a waste to me...you want it done immeditely...and as for the Florida thing, yeah def worthless down here...I just wish they'd put more thought into making the car more reliable instead of increasing the amount of damagble electronics and such with this kind of add-on....
Old 12-04-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
that was half-assed... if it is freezing outside in the first place, you SHOULD NOT be using the fluid in the first place as it will turn into ice on your windshield.
Old 12-04-2005

FOUND THE AD
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

dre2600 is an unknown quantity at this point
Not enough of you live in Canada. It helps in the winter to get frost and stuff off your windshield if you spray some washer fluid on it, washes the ice off and I think maybe makes the remaining stuff melt at a lower temperature. Sounds like a great idea to me, I'm surprised nobody thought it up sooner.

Even if you lived in a warm climate though, warmer washer fluid would be much better at dissolving/washing anything off your windshield. Try cleaning your dishes with cold water, now try with hot, you can imagine the difference.
Old 12-04-2005
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
the purpose of it is to melt ice on your windshield
Old 12-04-2005

what does it do once it is on your roof or in your drain ports? wouldn't it just freeze...not rnough volume or mass to hold a high temp for long at all I can't rmember the freezing temp of basic washerfluid either....
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

isuzu5000 will become famous soon enoughisuzu5000 will become famous soon enough
uhh....i dont think that its that bad of an idea....i wouldnt call that the dumbest add on ever...i'd say l.e.d. washer squirters or....haha jp man
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
imo it has its uses. just like headlight wipers do.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

InanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enoughInanimateCarbonRod will become famous soon enough
There was an aftermarket kit to make any car do this. It was available some years back. Useless? Only if you live South of the snow belt.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
In my opinion it is a very sweet feature. I think some of you aren't understanding they system. Often you get a thick layer of frost on your windshield even when it hasn't snowed. Not quite hard ice, but thick frost. The wipers alone aren't able to scrape it. The washer fluid used up north doesn't freeze until like -20 F, so even normal washer fluid helps with this purpose. However, its still a cold liquid so it doesn't do the greatest job. A hot spray of washer fluid would be awesome, and because the washer fluid doesn't readily freeze, its not going to be counterproductive.

As far as how the system works, I think it only quickly heats the washer fluid in a small portion of the lines. Thus the limit on how long you can get a hot spray is probably the 40 seconds someone mentioned. After that you would run out of hotness, until it was allowed to sit a bit.

I applaud GM for this one. Its a great feature.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest
that was half-assed... if it is freezing outside in the first place, you SHOULD NOT be using the fluid in the first place as it will turn into ice on your windshield.
Some fluids are made to stay fluid at much lower temperatures. Mine is good to -20 F. Only a few days a year does it ever get that cold where I'm at.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
id get that feature on my car, i dotn like it when i go skiing and my windshield washers freeze up. ususlly i just go toe the bathroom before i leave teh ski resort with a bottle of hot water to melt the washer jets. but thats a good feature if you live in a place that expereiences freezing temps. headlight wipers do a function too but thats another discussion.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by mrchowmein
id get that feature on my car, i dotn like it when i go skiing and my windshield washers freeze up. ususlly i just go toe the bathroom before i leave teh ski resort with a bottle of hot water to melt the washer jets. but thats a good feature if you live in a place that expereiences freezing temps. headlight wipers do a function too but thats another discussion.
what do headlight wipers do other than make you waste 20 bucks
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by micks7thgen
what do headlight wipers do other than make you waste 20 bucks
in snowy conditions, your headlight will have a muddy film on it. the lil wipers clean the headlight lens. that way your headlights wouldnt be impaired. if you drive in snowy or muddy condtions, you'll realize that you have to clean your headlights everyone time you drive. there used to be another thread about this.
Old 12-04-2005
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
i think the best way to get rid of ice on the windshield is simply just warming it up. put the setting on the windshield and blast the heater on to high. this way ice/snow would melt and just run your wipers. DUH!
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CiViCPrAnInG2k1
i think the best way to get rid of ice on the windshield is simply just warming it up. put the setting on the windshield and blast the heater on to high. this way ice/snow would melt and just run your wipers. DUH!
but that snow might not be clean, have you ever used your wipers with dirty snow, its leaves a brown filmy mess on your windshield only windshield washer fluid could clean.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough
I think its cool
Old 12-04-2005
Banned

CiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond reputeCiViCPrAnInG2k1 has a reputation beyond repute
of course you have to use your windshield fluid too.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
I think its just a damn useless feature. Normal windsheild fluid in Canada has a rating of -40C/F and I have never seen it freeze, and to remove that thin layer of frost, you could just scrapethat it off with the ice scrape and also blast it with heat.
Old 12-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DDragon7
I think its just a damn useless feature. Normal windsheild fluid in Canada has a rating of -40C/F and I have never seen it freeze, and to remove that thin layer of frost, you could just scrapethat it off with the ice scrape and also blast it with heat.
off topic, but is it true that some provinces in canada ban rainx cuz it causes cancer or blindness?
Old 12-04-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
jeez you guys are lazy. keep a scraper in the car and spend 10 secs to get the ice off. then touch your finger to each nozzle for a bit to melt the ice on the hole.
Old 12-04-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mrchowmein
off topic, but is it true that some provinces in canada ban rainx cuz it causes cancer or blindness?
these days, everything causes cancer. like used motor oil for example, should they ban that too?
Old 12-05-2005
small cities make me poop my pants

Draven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the roughDraven2 is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by gearbox
these days, everything causes cancer. like used motor oil for example, should they ban that too?
Only in lollipops///
Old 12-05-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
its not bad, the name of the model is funny though, Lucerne. Lucerne is a dairy brand that safeway owns.
Old 12-05-2005
let the devil out

eye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant futureeye_see_you has a brilliant future
APC stickers, APC anything

my .002 cents

Quick Reply: Most useless add-on to a car EVER...aside from headlight wiperblades...