General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

New Dodge Challenger!~ Mopar at its finest

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fiatdale will become famous soon enoughfiatdale will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Pharoh
wait and see how many of these things wind up traded in on competitors car lots....the initial owner reviews of the Magnum are far from good.

The 300 will be just like the Intrepid or Concorde...Good for a few years and then traded in only to be snapped up by some trailer trash/alcoholic who wants to pretend they have money.

To me the key to a great car is style, efficiency and longevity....Chrysler might have a few ups on style and power...but efficiency and longevity are not words in their collective vocabulary.
Couldnt have put it better myself. Chrysler owners will buy whats trendy and after that, not buy another because of their experience with them. Look at the PT cruiser, when that thing came out everyone and their brother bought one, realized they paid over $20 grand for a damn rebuilt neon and said wtf did I just do. Dodge owners generally trade in their vehicles in a year or two, then buy another brand. Their brand loyalty isnt half as strong as Honda.

Definitley a cool car though, but with these retro designs, like the mustang, you cant help but wonder what even the next gen will look like? Will it be like going thru the 70s and 80s all over again? Then they are back where they started. Seems a little too weird to me.
Old 11-22-2005
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
GM and friends are trying to appeal to the baby boomers who, most of them anyways, are well-established. It's simply a genuis move, given that the cost of converting all of their factories to build smaller-displacement engines is definetly not easy on the wallet. Yeah, they do have their ecotecs, but if they can take advantage of the existing infrastructure to serve the same clientele they served 30 years ago, why not do it?

Raw power + retro design should be just the answer to what boomers look for in their mid-life crisis.

It's moreso a smart move, since they can't beat the Japanese in quality, at least not in 2006, and GM has admitted that openly. Don't forget that there's a lot of smart people behind the wheel of a behemoth such as GM. They may f*ck up, but I say that's unlikely.

Their next move should be a shift of focus toward fuel economy, using newly-developed hybrid technologies and alternative fuels, but until then, they're most definetly milking the retro cash-cow. Who wouldn't ?
Old 11-23-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by aki
It's distinctly american, and brings back what was good about american design...

But it's waaay too retro. The headlights, fenders, everything... if you told it was a lost concept car from the 1980s I wouldn't doubt it.
Thats what I'm saying! The design isn't new. You would think after 30 years or so, they would have modified it just a little bit for tweaks here and there like the Mustang.

I'm saying it would be great if they freshened it up or something, continued the styling, not just slappped the same sheetmetal from back in the day on a new platform.
Old 11-23-2005
How many pots have you smoken?
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

manthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of lightmanthatguysfast is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest
Thats what I'm saying! The design isn't new. You would think after 30 years or so, they would have modified it just a little bit for tweaks here and there like the Mustang.
I'm saying it would be great if they freshened it up or something, continued the styling, not just slappped the same sheetmetal from back in the day on a new platform.
i feel exactly opposite!!! i think that keeping the same design is awesome. ive always wanted an old muscle car...but since i don't have much knowledge of fixing cars, and fact is old cars always need work, it wouldn't really be wise for me to get one. with them bringing back the same style you can drive the car you always wanted without having the hassle of it being 40+ years old! i mean, i know its not going to be the same...but i love the styling of a lot of older cars and would love a chance to drive one around - WITH all the features of todays cars and knowing that the car is warrented i dunno what the problem is with bringing back classic design.
Old 11-23-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Just wait till very late 06 when the next GTR is out and 99% of civic owners who want this challenger will forget about it.

me, i just want the new GTR and will have nothing to do with american cars.
Old 11-23-2005

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Manthatguysfast
i feel exactly opposite!!! i think that keeping the same design is awesome. ive always wanted an old muscle car...but since i don't have much knowledge of fixing cars, and fact is old cars always need work, it wouldn't really be wise for me to get one. with them bringing back the same style you can drive the car you always wanted without having the hassle of it being 40+ years old! i mean, i know its not going to be the same...but i love the styling of a lot of older cars and would love a chance to drive one around - WITH all the features of todays cars and knowing that the car is warrented i dunno what the problem is with bringing back classic design.
Thats the thing though. Back in the day, cars changed with every year! 2-3 years would be the most a specific model would run with NO changes whatsoever. I'm saying just a tweak here and there, not a straight up 70's throw back. I want to see something similar to the Charger, except even more muscular (which is possible becuase the B pillars ruin the lines). I have always liked muscle car designs too, but I live in 2005. I'm saying don't make it as bland as the GTO, but more along the lines of the Mustang, which pays homage to the past, but also looks different. Like the Mini Cooper and less like the VW Beetle.
Old 11-24-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Manthatguysfast
i feel exactly opposite!!! i think that keeping the same design is awesome. ive always wanted an old muscle car...but since i don't have much knowledge of fixing cars, and fact is old cars always need work, <snip>
American cars back in the day were much simpler and easier to tinker with. They moved away from that after Japanese econocars started stripping US automakers of their marketshare.
Old 11-24-2005
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
omg that is freakin sweet...i would get that over the GTO
Old 11-24-2005
Registered!!

03civic1 is an unknown quantity at this point
hey

hey guys i work at a dodge dealership detailing all the new cars that come threw the dealership, i got to be the lucky one and get the first charger that came to our dealership and the first SRT-8 Charger, and altought the ineterior is the same as the magnum, and its a 4 door, its an awsome car, very fast with the hemi, and the srt-8, got to beat a roush mustang with no problem, there have been rumors that there will be a 2dr charger coming around, but people think they are untrue, but well see .................. and as for the challenger, its gonna be awsome, just wait folks.......
Old 11-25-2005
For the love of House Music... Defected.com

05_ CivicJDM is a jewel in the rough05_ CivicJDM is a jewel in the rough05_ CivicJDM is a jewel in the rough
I think it looks sweet. Wait til GM resurrects the Camaro...
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice
Originally Posted by ragingSPAM
omg that is freakin sweet...i would get that over the GTO
I second that, the new GTO just doesn't seem right to me

Originally Posted by 05_ CivicJDM
I think it looks sweet. Wait til GM resurrects the Camaro...
Camaro's dead just let it be........
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

PennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nicePennyKnotOff is just really nice

Now that's sexy
Old 11-25-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
i have a tingling feeling that chevy is going to bring the Camaro back
Old 11-25-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by PennyKnotOff
Camaro's dead just let it be........
if you are so sure then read thishttp://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...409phr_camaro/
Old 11-25-2005

interesting. So it will be based off the zeta platform? not bad... I hope they go with something similar to what was shown for the Camaro. I dont' want to see something too retro like the SSR and HHR.
Old 11-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 02boostlessCIV
Read it all before, GM just can't do it right now. Camaro's gone, for good? Doubtful but we won't see it anytime soon. Hell i'd love to see the mustang, camaro, challenger and charger all go at it again but it's just not gonna be happening. I really don't consider the new gto true to what it used to be so i'll leave that out of the mix. I say let the camaro be
Old 11-25-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nick95673
Mopar did it! they finally did it!!!! an american car that looks like an american car!!!! its not a rip off of some other comapny. wow that thing looks sweet. its the same way the new mustang made me feel. now if chevy would bust out with a real camaro.
im waiting for the next bad *** f body 2 come out. the last gen camaro's and trans ams were sick. ive often pondered gettin rid of the 7thgen for a ws6 trans am
Old 11-25-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mugenman
im waiting for the next bad *** f body 2 come out. the last gen camaro's and trans ams were sick. ive often pondered gettin rid of the 7thgen for a ws6 trans am
yea, then you think about the gas and insurance prices right?
Old 11-25-2005
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
yup.