General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I want an old Miata. Car search updates on last page.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005
Zoom zoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Very happy NA(first gen) Miata owner/autocrosser here. Everything has already been said so ill keep it short...

I absolutely love this car, if it ever gets wrecked or for some reason I cant drive it anymore, you bet your *** its getting replaced with another NA.

Listen to Nookiemoster & PBfoot, theyre right on the money.

They make VERY capable autocrossers(even in stock form) & track cars, while still being good daily drivers.

Theyre VERY reliable cars, but like someone else said, thats a relative term on a car so old. Look it over thoroughly before buying one, signs of abuse can be easily detected if you know what to look for. I would suggest heading over to www.miata.net & spend a few weeks reading before jumping in, that way you get a feel for the pros & cons of the car. Check the 'garage' section, they have a lot of pre buying tips & checklists that could come in handy. Look around for a local Miata club in your area, you may find some Miata fanatics that will go with you to look at the car, this is how it is with the local club around here.

Heres my Cardomain site, let me know what you think...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/703161/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/703161/2

Last edited by jiggerachi; 09-19-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 09-19-2005
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned

I wish they didn't make the new one so fugly
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest

Anyway, now pbfoot has me worried becuase it does seem to get tinier every time I see one. I believe there is another car that is smaller, the Lotus Elise.

what is there to worry about? if this is just a car for fun, you dont need any trunk space or anything. my miata is my only car, i dont have a civic anymore. if youre keeping yours then you have no problemos. lol
Old 09-19-2005
Zoom zoom

^Actually in terms of general practicality, the Miata is not really that much more inconvenient...as far as space goes, let me explain....

When I had my civic as my daily driver, the trunk was big & I had back seats to put stuff in, but the trunk opening is also pretty narrow, so sure you can fit stuff, but it was such a pain in the **** that I rarely used it...for big stuff that is.

The back seat was hard to get in/out of so if more than 2 people were going somewhere, we took someone elses car, & it was the same as the trunk as far as storage space.

Now of course when moving I could cram ungodly amounts of stuff in the civic, & did a few times, but being such a pain in the *** I am glad I now have an excuse..."Yea I can help you load up & unload the truck, but I can only take a PC monitor or something expensive in my car...I do drive a Miata"

Having a back seat with no direct access really sucks, or at least it did for me. Its so much easier to just have to clean out the passenger floorboard & your done. Plus having a convertible top actually comes in quite handy every now & then, I had to transport a few trees & a rug home, it took a few trips, but if I just had a fixed roof on my car, I would have been screwed.

Now being married I do have the convenience of having the Element if we want to go camping, or my wife wants to go to Ikea, but when I was single all I had was the Civic, then the Miata, it didnt really make that much of a difference...in my situation.

Just my $.02.
Old 09-19-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
HAHAHA

well, dont get me wrong...there are practical benefits to having a 2 seater w/ no trunk space. for one, i only get to give rides to one other person, and i get to pick who it is. hahaha and believe me, im not shy about saying "ladies first" HAHA

the drawbacks are, for instance, i have a package sitting at my house that i want to mail. it doesnt fit in the car. so it becomes a whole production to get my dad to lend me his car so i can take the thing to the post office. or if i wanna go camping or something, i still dont know if my gear will even fit. or when i move, going to home depot becomes practically rediculous if i want to buy anything more than just a couple of cans of paint. lol and i want to build a bed and/or futon/couch.....how the hell am i gonna get the lumber to my place? LOL

so ill have to either rent their truck/van or beg my dad or his wife to borrow their car...which is really unlikely to happen. or im gonna have to be one of those guys and ask my friends to borrow their cars...lol so thats the drawback to the miata....small price to pay for a convertible though.

oh yeah...i had a civic sedan, so i had no problems getting to the back seat or w/ the trunk. i was actually surprized that i could fit in there...LOL (installing springs...)
Old 09-20-2005
Zoom zoom

^If a package wont fit in the trunk, where does it go...front seat(well unless you have 3 or 4 packages, in which case your SOL). The Miata has the same size front seat, give or take an inch or two, with potentially infinite headroom.

If im going to Home Depot to get six 7' 2x4s that wont fit in the Element(especially a Civic), & I have to drive 40 miles both ways to borrow my dads van...yep, you know its going in the front seat of the Miata with a red rag tied to the end. But maybee thats the good ole south in me talking.

Im mostly joking though. This is why you get married, so you have an excuse to buy an SUV, let your wife drive it while you get the toy car & use of a big truck when you need it...

Old 09-20-2005
Registered!!

XxJDMCivicxX is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nookiemonster
Yes, heavier by 30-40 lbs or so from what I recall. However, you guys must realize that weight and weight distribution are two seperate things. The miata has always been designed around balance and feel. The V8 is not much heavier than the original motor, however, the V8 has alot more mass and volume. The weight is not spread as evenly across the chassis as it was with the original I4. The result is a car that understeers like a bitch. Cool drag racer, terrible road/auto-x car.

The I4 engine can fit behind the front axle, whereas the V8 cannot...50/50 weight distribution is lost...
The weight difference between a 13b and a ls is 50lbs(From an FD point of view). As nookiemonster said it's not the weight that's the factor.
Old 10-04-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
I can't find a Miata. I have found a good V6 Accord. I test drove it and I wasn't really impressed. It was a 1998 selling for $7k. It hasn't been inspected and the car ran akwardly. It was revving like crazy at idle. The brakes also sounded a little funny. The leather was crappy, but it was leather.

It was red, leather, and a V6. I don't know if the insurance and gas for the thing will be the killer though. I'll try to offer the guy $5,500.

Since he hasn't had it inspected, I'm not even sure if it is worth $5,500. MD inspection will cover that stuff right? It had a check engine light on.

Do you guys think I should? Or should I just walk away?

There is some serious modding to be done if I do get it
Old 10-04-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
with all what you've described .... your probably better off walking away from that heap.
Old 10-04-2005

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Zzyzx
with all what you've described .... your probably better off walking away from that heap.
Awww... I was hoping I'd get a "you should go for it! Those things are cheap to fix... "

I really liked the features on it.

I also walked away with the impression that an inspection should fix all the problems with the car (engine idle issue at least), or am I dreaming? It needs a MD Inspection. He said it hasn't gone through one yet.
Old 10-04-2005
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
If he readily accepts your $5500 instead of the asking $7000 price, I'd stay away from it.
Old 10-04-2005
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
wait for a miata.
Old 10-05-2005
Formerly efil on evol on

Cptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura aboutCptn. Slow has a spectacular aura about
FWD + V6 = Waste of Time
Old 10-09-2005

How about a 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R?!?

I found one that has 116k miles on it. I wonder if those things are relible, with the Altima's 2.5 motor and all. I'm looking at an automatic, but it has more interesting features than Civic's in the garage, and a lot more power too.

I really need a car by the end of October, and I can't find anything good in my area.
Old 10-09-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light

I found one that has 116k miles on it. I wonder if those things are relible, with the Altima's 2.5 motor and all. I'm looking at an automatic, but it has more interesting features than Civic's in the garage, and a lot more power too.

I really need a car by the end of October, and I can't find anything good in my area.
i just test drove a brand new se-r the other day, and holy ****. nonstop torque. i loved the way it drove/rode/handled, but i thought the interior looked cheap. and the 05/06 front end is hideous.
Old 10-09-2005
Registered!!

micks7thgen is an unknown quantity at this point

116k on a 2003 is alot i have and 02 and i only have 57k but they are good rides quick like a son of a b***h
Old 10-09-2005
jdmtytedoridori

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by micks7thgen
116k on a 2003 is alot i have and 02 and i only have 57k but they are good rides quick like a son of a b***h
i have 44k on my 04, bought it new.
Old 10-10-2005

but that is the trade-off. Either an old car with fewer miles, or a new car with high mileage. Like I originally posted. I can't afford to get what I REALLY want, so I'm looking for something sporty for now... and more importantly, cheap.

They look quick, and on paper they seem quick, but I have yet to test drive it.
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

They look quick, and on paper they seem quick, but I have yet to test drive it.
which do you mean by "they"?

i would go with old w/ low milage over new(er) with high....that seems kind of a no-brainer to me. if you find an older miata w/ low milage, its a good bet that thats a good find...and if its in your pricerange you should really test drive it and see how it fits you.

this is mine btw. and i love it!!!

Old 10-10-2005

I can't find any decent Miata's...

I was referring to a 2003 Sentra SE-R
Old 10-10-2005
Registered!!

where are you looking?

i think i looked at cars.com, yahoo!autos.com, miata.net classifieds section....maybe a few more. let me know, cause i know theyre out there.
Old 10-20-2005

I found a local BMW 318ti that has 76k miles on it... The owner is asking for $7,500...

I'm considering offering less for it.

I need something soon. Still, no luck finding anything local.
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

what year bimmer??

is it the coupe or hatchback?
Old 10-20-2005

hatch. I didn't find a year on it.
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

dragoon is an unknown quantity at this point
omg, don't get a 318ti. worst BMW ever
Old 10-21-2005

Originally Posted by dragoon
omg, don't get a 318ti. worst BMW ever
why do you say that?