General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Anyone drive a G6 GTP coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JP375 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone drive a G6 GTP coupe?

If you've driven or rode in a Pontiac G6 GTP coupe, I am interested in your driving/riding impressions. I'm planning on buying a new vehicle come next spring, and right now this car is in the lead. I've only been able to drive a GT coupe which has 40 less horsepower. It was in a downpoor as well, so I didn't get to check it out all that much. Just wondering if I should keep lusting after this American beauty....
Old 09-05-2005
Registered!!

UTICivic will become famous soon enoughUTICivic will become famous soon enough
Id say go for the Grand Am V8. Holy smokes is that thing quick.

But I also drove the GTP Coupe at the GM Autoshow in Motion. Its pretty quick too. Good handling. Nice styling. Pretty sporty. Good price too!
Old 09-05-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Ive been in one. wasnt impressed. Feels like a re-badged buic with a new, cheaper, interior. i don't know. With GM lately, and gas prices, id stick to a sport-compact japanese car.
but thats my opinion so do with it as you please.
Old 09-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by diskreet
Ive been in one. wasnt impressed. Feels like a re-badged buic with a new, cheaper, interior. i don't know. With GM lately, and gas prices, id stick to a sport-compact japanese car.
but thats my opinion so do with it as you please.
well, I would get an 8th gen civic except I'm not thrilled about the instrument cluster, and I want leather seats. I would also like something a little bigger, but the Accord coupe is just too damn bland. The G6 seems to have everything I want, except for the refinement. Thanks for the input
Old 09-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by UTICivic
Id say go for the Grand Am V8. Holy smokes is that thing quick.

But I also drove the GTP Coupe at the GM Autoshow in Motion. Its pretty quick too. Good handling. Nice styling. Pretty sporty. Good price too!
Do you mean the Grand Prix? I'm pretty sure there isn't a V8 Grand Am. In which case, it only comes in a 4 door. I'll only buy a 2 door. Did you get a chance to flog it a bit? I'm worried that its going to feel like an unrefined piece of crap when driven in a "spirited" manner.
Old 09-05-2005
Registered!!

pbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant futurepbfoot has a brilliant future
id go w/ the mustang over the g6. much nicer design, and you know its going to outperform the g6. plus a much more fun car than a g6, IMO.
Old 09-05-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JP375
well, I would get an 8th gen civic except I'm not thrilled about the instrument cluster, and I want leather seats. I would also like something a little bigger, but the Accord coupe is just too damn bland. The G6 seems to have everything I want, except for the refinement. Thanks for the input
yeah the accord is what honda is offering, but did you see the 06?
check out an 06 accord and check out the pontiac. they are similiar price/features and different companies. thats probably the best you can do. till you drive them both it will be hard to tell.
Old 09-06-2005
Registered!!

I'm definately going to give the Accord V6 coupe a shot, but I have a feeling it is going to have less "sporting" characteristics. I'm expecting the G6 GTP Coupe to have a firmer supsension setup than the Accord, but other than that I'm not sure what to expect. If it wasn't for Honda's sweet heavenly engines, I wouldn't even be considering the Accord. Like you said, only a test drive will tell.
Old 09-07-2005
Premium Member

04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice
I drove the GTP G6 it's not too bad not much diff. to the GT prformance wise,but I ended up buying the 05 Grand Prix GXP

Old 09-07-2005
Registered!!

^^^ How are you liking the Grand Prix? Have you had any problems with it? Is it as solid mechanically as a Honda? Does the V8 sound pretty refined? I've read negative comments on the "coffee grinder" noise that emits from pushrod engines at high rpms. Do you noitice any of that? I hope that isn't the case for the 3.9 in the G6 GTP.

I'm willing to bet they got the G6 handling down, and it has plenty of power with a supposed 0-60 in 6.6, but I don't want to feel like I'm getting into a cheap plastic box every day.
Old 09-07-2005
Premium Member

04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice04hemiboy is just really nice
The GXP is pretty cool car. It would be better rear wheel drive but you cant have it all. the front wheels are wider than the rear so it has very lttle torque steer.It has Tap Shift and there is hardly no hesitation between upshiftd and downshifts plus there is a G-Meter.GM did a very good job on this one but the only downfall is gas mileage.It's terrible eve'sn though it shuts down to 4 cylinders when cruisin. I have 5 vehicles 4 of them V8"s and I just bought a Civic SI yesterday.You'll like the G6 GTP but it's not much difference in performane to the GT G6. The coffee grinding noise you talk about I don't know I'm new to The Import scene and I find they are more noisy than any of the V8's I have.The BIG advantage to the Imports is that they are still worth something 4 or 5 years down the road which isn't the case with GM,FORD,or DODGE.That's my 2 cents no car is perfect but if YOU like that's all that counts.

Old 09-07-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
^ Damn nice cars.
Old 09-08-2005
Premium Member

^^^^ Thanks Man but you should see what goes in them fvckers for gas.Thats why I just bought the Civic
Old 09-08-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
The same system of shutting of cylinders is in the Accord and Oddyssey. Called VCM. Only saves about 1-2 mpg for the average driver tho.
Old 09-08-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04hemiboy
^^^^ Thanks Man but you should see what goes in them fvckers for gas.Thats why I just bought the Civic
so the Grand Prix's MPG isn't so hot? Pontiac's website says 17/28 for your V8 GP. Are you close to that? I'm just curious, because if I get a G6 GTP the milage is rated at 18/26 and thats for a 3.9 V6. If its really much worse than that, I'm not sure I can live with it. I'm hoping they cram the GP's V8 in the G6 coupe for a GXP version,.

Also, anyone have any idea if the milage rating for the G6 is based off the automatic transimisson? I would assume the 6 speed manual would do about 5-10% better than the 4 speed auto, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-09-2005
Premium Member

The best I can get out of the GXP is a 14 city and a 24 Hwy and thats driving easy.If you honk on it (which I do) 10-11. When you are full throttle you can actually watch the gas gauge go down.The V8 will never make it in the G6 GXP.GM wont let the pony out do the horse.So all you'll get is Wheel Tire package,Handling & Brakes,and Stylig
Old 09-20-2005
Registered!!

I finally got around to test driving a GTP the other day. Unfortunately the dealer only let me test drive a Sedan, its very similar to the coupe so I guess it wasn't too bad. I didn't get a great feel for it, as the drive was short, but overall it was just OK. I wasn't blown away, but I didn't leave not wanting a G6 either. The car I drove was an auto and it had some good power under full throttle acceleration. I was pleasantly surprised by the clean sounds coming from the engine in the higher rev range. No pushrod coffee grinder at all. I like the style of the interior, but it felt a bit like a plastic bubble, with slightly lower grade plastics used throughout. For the most part, I still love this car. If it wasn't for the crappy Pontiac dealerships and the bad gas milage it would be at the top of my list. I just don't know what to do!!! 8th gen civic coupe EX, or G6 GTP Coupe?
Old 09-21-2005
Premium Member

you got 2 totaly different cars there. if you want something to be able to race people and actually contend get the GTP.If you plan on keeping the car for awhile and gas is a concern,10 years from now the Honda will still be runnin.I'm curious what price the Dealer wanting for the GTP.I'm in Canada and there is a 16000.00 price diff between them 2 cars.Full loaded coupe G6 GTP $36000.00 Honda Si (canadian) $20000.00.Other cars to consider. SRT4 (it's fast) RSX S (sharp car) Cobalt SS (pretty quick big upgrade from a Cavalier) 06 Civic Si (don't know but quality & reliability will be there)that's a few you got a big price gap there so look around and test drive as much as you can.Remember it's what YOU like not someone elses taste.Thats my 2 cents
Old 09-21-2005
aki
Registered!!

aki is an unknown quantity at this point
Si doesn't have leather because it'd cannabalize the RSX market segment. Why not go for a RSX Type S? Great tranny, decent HP, more traditional (and IMO likable) instrument cluster.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Civicccc will become famous soon enoughCivicccc will become famous soon enough
Before considering a type S or and Si look into the insurance rates. I dont know about the GTP but I know the type S is high.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

I realize they are two completely different cars. One side of me wants the large displacement performance of the GTP, along with the leather, analog gauges and overall larger size. The other part of me wants the gas sipper Honda which is a nice car, but nothing special. I think the RSX would appeal to me more if it wasn't a hatch, and it had a V6. Don't get me wrong, I love high revving fun, but it does get old with day to day driving. A sophisticated well mannered coupe is what I'm looking for. Maybe a redesigned 2007 RSX will appear in 2006 and suit my tastes. I'm not planning on purchasing until about May, so I have a while to decide. It will also give me a chance to see what gas prices do. The smart buy would be the Honda, the emotional buy would be the Pontiac. If only I could afford a 3 series or 6 series BMW, I wouldn't have this problem....
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Hangnail is an unknown quantity at this point
Have you thought about the Scion tC?
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Hangnail
Have you thought about the Scion tC?
Not much really. It seems a bit on the street racer/immature side. I think its a great car, but not quite my style. Only reason I'm considering the 8th gen civic is because it seems to be more refined, and has many features of more expensive vehicles. I'm still leaning towards the G6, but a test drive of the 06 civic coupe may change that. If the Pontiac got better gas mileage I would buy one without hesitation.

I'm still very interested in peoples opinions of the G6 Coupe. Sometimes when others get to talking about their experience with it and what they thought, you think of things that you otherwise wouldn't. Keep the comments coming...
Old 09-21-2005
Premium Member

Before you jump on the GTP check out the Grand Prix GXP i'm sure with wheeling and dealing you should be able to come close to the same price.The GXP is quick.Faster than the RSX S,TSX,TL,GTP,SI,S2000,3 Series,G35.Performance for the dollar there isn't a match for it.I'm gettin a 14.01 1/4 with it now at the track in 90 degree heat.I'm sure once the cold air gets here there will be 13.8's 13.9's and thats stock.
Old 09-21-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by 04hemiboy
Before you jump on the GTP check out the Grand Prix GXP i'm sure with wheeling and dealing you should be able to come close to the same price.The GXP is quick.Faster than the RSX S,TSX,TL,GTP,SI,S2000,3 Series,G35.Performance for the dollar there isn't a match for it.I'm gettin a 14.01 1/4 with it now at the track in 90 degree heat.I'm sure once the cold air gets here there will be 13.8's 13.9's and thats stock.
Yes, but the GP doesn't come in a coupe. I'm all about the 2 doors...
Old 09-22-2005
Premium Member

true!!! but you'll forget the 2 extra doors once you step on it.and you could pick up 8 biatches and put their boyfriends in the trunk. LOL