General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Online petition for "UNLAWFUL VEHICLE INSPECTIONS"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005
Wanna see a donkey show?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point
Online petition for "UNLAWFUL VEHICLE INSPECTIONS"

I recently posted new laws and rules for searching and modding your car. If your did not read it it can be found here!http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=222773
This is our chance to make a stand for what we feel is our right! This I feel is important right now! Since most laws in the ol CA get filtered out into other states. Here is our chance to make a difference. Btw its around 1800 petitions right now.

http://www.petitiononline.com/AH4G63
Old 08-18-2005
O RLY
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
online petitions rarely do any good.

that said, they are cracking down on ILLEGAL mods. such as nitrous, or illegally tinted windows, or mods that would cause you to fail emissions. they are not making it illegal to drive a modified car. and if they wanted to start saying it's illegal to modify your intake, or your exhaust, or add a spoiler, or whatever, it would NEVER happen.

there is WAY too much money being spent on modifying cars. it's a multi BILLION dollar industry. there would be WAY too many jobs lost, not to mention the business economy and commercial industry. considering the amount of money that flows through this country regarding modified cars, there is NO WAY this will ever happen. it'd be like prohibition. this is an industry that has thrived since the muscle car era.

think about this logically. look at the money spent on modifiying your car. several popular TV shows even are based on modifying cars, not to mention the number of magazines. drag strips, auto-x events, and road course tracks all get money from people who also likely support NHRA, NASCAR, NASA, IRL, F1, etc. car shows, tours such as NOPI, HUGE companies like K&N, etc, all make money off of people modifying their cars. it's a MASSIVE industry.

so, if you seriously think they are goint to start punishing drivers for modifying their cars, then you are wasting your time. they are only going after illegal mods.

Last edited by S2000man01; 08-18-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
scansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nicescansel912 is just really nice
Is nitrous really illegal in california?
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

CIVIKRACIN is an unknown quantity at this point
i heard nitrous is only illegal if is on
if it is turned off and they cant prove you are using it then i guess not
but i am noob so what do i know so dont flame if im wrong
Old 08-18-2005
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scansel912
Can't remmember exactly if its illegal to transport it without a chemical lisence or if it is illigal to have it conected.
Old 08-18-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Too bad online petitions are generally ignored. Write your elected officials instead. THAT will have a far greater impact. Yayy California! Soon we will only be allowed to drive beige toyota corolla sedans to be "legal".

Seriously, the cops should ticket some of the cellphone offenders out there. And what about "classic" cars that are modified to the hilt with NO smog gear and wide open exhausts? Nope. Harleys? Nope.

Screw it. I'm buying a Prius for my next car.
Old 08-18-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by S2000man01
online petitions rarely do any good.

that said, they are cracking down on ILLEGAL mods. such as nitrous, or illegally tinted windows, or mods that would cause you to fail emissions. they are not making it illegal to drive a modified car. and if they wanted to start saying it's illegal to modify your intake, or your exhaust, or add a spoiler, or whatever, it would NEVER happen.

there is WAY too much money being spent on modifying cars. it's a multi BILLION dollar industry. there would be WAY too many jobs lost, not to mention the business economy and commercial industry. considering the amount of money that flows through this country regarding modified cars, there is NO WAY this will ever happen. it'd be like prohibition. this is an industry that has thrived since the muscle car era.

think about this logically. look at the money spent on modifiying your car. several popular TV shows even are based on modifying cars, not to mention the number of magazines. drag strips, auto-x events, and road course tracks all get money from people who also likely support NHRA, NASCAR, NASA, IRL, F1, etc. car shows, tours such as NOPI, HUGE companies like K&N, etc, all make money off of people modifying their cars. it's a MASSIVE industry.

so, if you seriously think they are goint to start punishing drivers for modifying their cars, then you are wasting your time. they are only going after illegal mods.

Obviously you DON'T live in california. While they may be going after illegal mods, the cops here love any excuse to profile and pull over someone. So If I get pulled over for my OEM chrome exhaust tip, it may be LEGAL, but I STILL have to eat a ticket and go through the hassle of getting it cleared. The point is that many people get unfairly pulled over and ticketed because this stupid law opens the door for cops to do this. I have yet to see guys my age and older get pulled over with their loud-a$$ Mustangs, etc.

Regardless of what you might think, the laws in Cali and what is actually happening are 2 different things. I HATE California more and more because if it's a bad Idea, it's happening HERE firs. Unfortunately, I work in the television broadcast industry, so I'm STUCK here if I want to keep making a living and pay off my house. It would be very difficult for me to find work like this elsewhere. So I have to grit my teeth and live with it. Now mind you, I am a modest person, and I drive an 85 Nissan truck that I'll NEVER sell, and my 02 Civic. I just work. I'm 41. If I get ticketed for rims, exhaust tip and a stabilizer bar, it won't surprise me in CALI. Even though I don't speed. But I like my car to be a little different from every other one out there. I also like my car to handle well. The canyons here are actually fun to drive. Yet, according to new laws and the people that abuse them, I am in (technically) violation. And I did nothing wrong.

So don't sit in Wisconsin and tell me what they can and cannot do in California. I still cannot believe that Cali was the birthplace of Hot-rodding. What the hell happened???

I guess I should just go buy an old muscle car that is loud as hell and gets 5mpg. At least I'll be safe from the cops. Yeah.... at MY age.
Old 08-18-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
^^^^good points but a little too harsh towards s2000man
Old 08-18-2005
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CIVIKRACIN
i heard nitrous is only illegal if is on
if it is turned off and they cant prove you are using it then i guess not
but i am noob so what do i know so dont flame if im wrong
your right
Old 08-18-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by scansel912
it is illegal to have your nitrous lines hooked up to the bottle on a public road anywhere in the country. some states go even further and do not allow you to even have a nitrous bottle in the car.

Last edited by S2000man01; 08-18-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2005
O RLY

Originally Posted by tinman
Obviously you DON'T live in california. While they may be going after illegal mods, the cops here love any excuse to profile and pull over someone. So If I get pulled over for my OEM chrome exhaust tip, it may be LEGAL, but I STILL have to eat a ticket and go through the hassle of getting it cleared. The point is that many people get unfairly pulled over and ticketed because this stupid law opens the door for cops to do this. I have yet to see guys my age and older get pulled over with their loud-a$$ Mustangs, etc.
sounds to me like they already do it anyways, so what's the difference if they are cracking down on illegal mods? not all cops are fair. if you think california is the only state that gets cops like this, you are mistaken. this law does not state cops can pull you over for driving a modified car. not that they would need a law like that anyways! a cop can pretty much come up with whatever he wants to pull you over if he really wants to pull you over.
Regardless of what you might think, the laws in Cali and what is actually happening are 2 different things.
there are plenty of cops in plenty of states who do this kind of thing.

If I get ticketed for rims, exhaust tip and a stabilizer bar, it won't surprise me in CALI.
how are they going to ticket you for those mods? they aren't illegal in the first place? since there is no statute on an item such as a stabilizer bar, what do they write down to say you broke the law? it'd be like a cop pulling you over and giving you a ticket for doing 90 on a freeway you weren't even on. if a cop is making up crap, then you should have no problem proving yourself in court. anyone could have a crooked cop like that.
Yet, according to new laws and the people that abuse them, I am in (technically) violation. And I did nothing wrong.
how are you in violation? (technically) the law says you can't have illegal mods. if you don't have any illegal mods, then how are you "technically" in violation?
So don't sit in Wisconsin and tell me what they can and cannot do in California.
right, because you're the only state that gets crooked cops.
Old 08-18-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Sometimes i think its just the car you drive, especially in california. There probably are good cops out there, but all the ones that pulled me over have been dicks. When you try to talk to them they just ignore you and don't answer any of your questions.

I got pulled over for tint on my front windows. i explained to the cop that i need the tint because i take my sister to her doctor appointments for her lupus and UV light makes the lupus worse. I explained it to the cop and that i had a doctors note, but he still wrote me the ticket and the fu*ker didn't give me back my proof of insurance either. On top of that, he searched around my car, to look for my crap he can give me tickets for. I was thinking geeze you already made your quota. Anyways now, i have to go to court and get the ticket revoked.

The main reason, cops are going after people with modified cars is because they generate a lot revenue. Not because there endangering people or cops. This is why california decided to give the chp 5million dollars just to go after modified cars, while our schools are underfunded and our teachers and nurses are being underpaid or not paid at all.
Old 08-18-2005
Premium Member

sounds to me like they already do it anyways, so what's the difference if they are cracking down on illegal mods? not all cops are fair. if you think california is the only state that gets cops like this, you are mistaken. this law does not state cops can pull you over for driving a modified car. not that they would need a law like that anyways! a cop can pretty much come up with whatever he wants to pull you over if he really wants to pull you over.

how are they going to ticket you for those mods? they aren't illegal in the first place? since there is no statute on an item such as a stabilizer bar, what do they write down to say you broke the law? it'd be like a cop pulling you over and giving you a ticket for doing 90 on a freeway you weren't even on. if a cop is making up crap, then you should have no problem proving yourself in court. anyone could have a crooked cop like that.
how are you in violation? (technically) the law says you can't have illegal mods. if you don't have any illegal mods, then how are you "technically" in violation?
S2000man, I hope I didn't sound too harsh, but I did vent a bit. I usually respect your opinions and they are usually very informed. I think everyone here would agree on that.

Yes, all states have crooked cops. But few states start stupid laws that give those same cops even more incentive to screw over a large percentage of people that may "appear" to be in violation at first glance, but are not. See the subaru WRX STI. You get tickets on legal mods just because the COP forms his own opinion as to legal or not. Then you have to go to court to prove they are legal. Point is, it's degrading, and a huge waste of time. Only the state wins, because they make good money with this BS.
When you said that "it'll never happen" regards the modding scene, you are right. They'll NEVER target AMERICAN MUSCLE.

In fact, I was out today and counted 3 LOUD... and I mean LOUD A$$ mustangs and 4 bikes with exhausts that can shatter the glass in my car. I won't even count the Huge SUV's with BLACK tint ALL AROUND. One guy ROARED right by a cop, screeching the tires on his souped up Rustang, and of course the cop did nothing. This is typical.... and you wonder why those of us that choose to drive imports are pissed? Regardless, we can argue about it on forums all day long. The fact remains that Cali is the "F*CK ME" state, and trendsetter for everyone else. Wait till all this BS goes nationwide.

Ok... done venting...
Old 08-18-2005
Wanna see a donkey show?

cg95660 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe online petitioms do not work but its a first strike for us. And if you read the first posting and go through the new law "any thing that makes your car look like it is raced then it is" and gives the cops the right to pull you over and ticket you for every single thing he/her determines is illegal. This is b.s.. Now for some more good news. This has been posted at a supra site then a the mustang site I am on.
"Here's the prelims for what's in store. For us guys in Sacramento who don’t have a clue, the cops are coming down on modified imports like a ton of bricks, its going to be unlike anything you have ever experienced when the cop has pulled you over. Allot of what is in store for Sactown is based off the SDPD Drag-Net program, with new tactics and revisions skirting civil rights, I mean on the very fringe of your rights

The local cops are going to get a course on a few textbook things:

*Identifying Illegal Engine & Vehicle Modifications
*Engine & Transmission Number Tampering and Detection
*Enforcement Tactics for Engine Modifications
*"Hands-On" Practical Experience Inspecting Modified Vehicles
*Racer Related Insurance Fraud and Auto Theft
*Using Local and State Legislation to Solve the Problem
*Modifying Streets to Deter Racing
*Preparing for Mass Arrests
*Investigating Street Races and Seizures of Racer Vehicles

Now, with anything in the local government sector, it takes some time to phase it in. There is going to be several phases of the crackdown starting with the most obvious and narrowing down to the organized street race scene. When the full blunt force of the team kicks in, they are going to hit hard and heavy, it’s going to be the talk of the town. They plan on sending their message right away. The cops are going to do their homework in rounding up information. What you can expect is the following:

* - Trolling local car websites to target meet spots and drives.

You want to talk about low blow? Websites will be monitored for what is blatantly obvious, to go to the area of meet, trap the cars, inspect, ticket or impound modified cars.
* - Video taping of modified vehicles and license plates at Sacramento Raceway and import car show venues within the county.

Undercover cops will be there video taping modified cars running on the track as well as parked cars. With video evidence in hand, the plates are run through the system where the cops may send out a letter warning you of the mods on the car and/or schedule an unexpected DOT inspection of your car at home.

* - Street crackdown

With their newly found mad profiling skilz, they will pull you over. Nab you on front license plate BS if its not installed, stickers placed on the windshield and rear glass, LED glow kits, ride height being at least 22.5 inches from ground to bottom of headlight and more. Next comes the fine tooth comb, plan on being stopped for a while because they are going through everything now. Non approved intake, headers, exhaust, Naaawwwsss, etc.
Depending on how many violations they stick you for, will lead to fines and fees up the butt till that car is stock again when you go see the mandatory Referee for inspection and testing. Worse cases an automatic impound plus the Referee.

Get ready for unscheduled road blocks, IE, cop cars blocking the way with their lights on. The purpose of this is to trap cars into an area where each and every car will be fine tooth combed, ticketed and impounded. Currently, the DUI checkpoints already do this, but now there’s going to be more of them with the purpose of trapping cars.

* - Hangout crackdown

You can't just sit and chill with the guys talking cars without being DOT inspected now. Going on a tipoff from an undercover who mingled in the crowd or spotted you, cops will block in all parked cars and every car will be fine tooth combed. Violators might get lucky with a ticket, but what they are really after is the revenue generated by the impounds and I mean lots of impounds. The will have the tow trucks lined up ready to take cars.

If you are hooked on the underground racing scene in Sacramento, your days are numbered. Everyone knows that if you are caught racing you automatically loose your car, well now you are looking at jail time. Get ready for bait cars to lure you into a trap. Undercovers will now be mingled in with the crowd to listen in for the race spot, video tape your face if possible, your car and license plates. If, for some reason, they weren’t able to make the bust at the race site, the cops will compile the video info of plates captured, get an arrest warrant for you at your home and impound your car. Yes, this is now coming to Sacramento mostly targeting Friday and Saturday nights well into the early hours of the morning." End quote"

This is a huge problem for any body who likes to even do things like change a wheels size and tint. Then you might get pulled over and harrassed. Now online petitions might not do any thing but well if its all we got right now then what does it hurt to lay some votes down. Btw I might also put a copy of this in the cali threads just to get more help. We could use it!
Old 08-19-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
good thing my car is legal. Man i'd hate to be in cali still. i bet they'd pull me over and try to hunt for things. then get pissed when there's nothing.
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

jackburton will become famous soon enoughjackburton will become famous soon enough
I would be pissed, that infringes your rights, they are facists.
Old 08-19-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
its simply profiling..
Old 08-19-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
I agree most peoples frustrations stems from the fact there being unfairly targeted. Many of the laws being passed are not laws that would insure safety or help the environment. Most of these new laws are just ways to generate revenue and are target to a specific segment of the car market. If the cops targeted domestics, european and asian imports that were in the violation of the law then i can kind of understand. But they blantly ignore all violations unless it on a japanese import car. It makes you angry because you know if you were in any other car with the same mods, then the cop would never have pulled you over in the first place.

i dont really see, this type of profiling much different from racial profiling. If its for national security, then i understand the need for some form of profiling, but there aren't many terrorists bombing people in civics with tint and exhaust.
Old 08-19-2005

k20txem2 is an unknown quantity at this point
So if NOs2 is illegal.... how can saleen get away with selling a nos equiped car street legal??? But on a side note i red that its not illegal to have if you have less thana 25 shot? i havent read the new laws in cali in like 4 years, so i cant remember.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/streetlegal.html looked there and there air resorce board and i cant find the law on nos.
Old 08-19-2005
Premium Member

Originally Posted by jackburton
I would be pissed, that infringes your rights, they are facists.
Interestingly enough, this is worse than in germany. And I thought it was bad enough there.