General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

VERY FAST? WHAT ABOUT BRAKES

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all
VERY FAST? WHAT ABOUT BRAKES

Nitrous, Turbo, subwoofers, big wheels just make the car heavier and very hard to stop on an emergency.
Has any one installed a bigger braking system yet[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
I know that the all four wheel disc from the new Integra fits our cars
but it uses 5 lugnuts in stead of the 4 my civic have.
I'll like to have a less expensive alternative.
May be just a big front disc for now.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Jochij is an unknown quantity at this point
i think AEM makes a big brake kit. and yes alot of people overlook brakes when they are modifying their cars. Brakes should come b4 nitrous, turbo's , and superchargers cuz u will need more breaking with so much power.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mattskav is an unknown quantity at this point
AEM makes a kit, I'm sure it's like 2 grand...[IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-puke.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

AlphaInfinity is an unknown quantity at this point
Start out with some cross drilled rotors. The car has a brake system that is designed to handle the weight of the car+ 4 normal sized passengers.

You can put alot of crap on your car before it equals the weight of four normal sized passengers. Commons sense stuff.

[IMG]i/expressions/moon.gif[/IMG]
Old 01-31-2002

supermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to allsupermex is a name known to all

Passengers do not increase the speed of a car.
Nitous and other speed parts do, so the speed and weight ratio present more of a challenge to the brakes than four people ridding along besides what about when you really have four passengers on your 2k1 civic in addition of all the other mods?
There is got to be a way to modify an existing rotor.
Is something to thing about, besides I thing that a lot more frecuent brake pads replacements will be necesary with our standard brakes the cost will justify the reseach alone.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

jonavin is an unknown quantity at this point
Better grippy tires helps too. How about brake pads? Is there a significant difference in stopping distance if you replaced the OE pads with "performance" ones?
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

AlphaInfinity is an unknown quantity at this point
zzzz wrong answer. Speed is not the problem, weight ratio is the problem. You can talk all day about performance this, performance that, but in the end, the braking system is not going to need a major overhaul because you threw some boltons onto the car.

More weight means you generate more heat=cross drilled lovin.....

The only reason to overhaul the braking system is because you want the car to stop in a shorter amount of distance, and I havn't seen a reason yet to pour tons of money into it. My civic breaks just fine as it is right now, and even after throwing on all the aftermarket parts, and ehemm stickers...it will still be fine.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

ecliptiCz is an unknown quantity at this point
AlphaInfinity is right. Go for some cross-drilled rotors. That'll slow you down enough for now. Save up for a decent brake kit from AEM if you really feel like it is necessary.
Old 01-31-2002
Retired - SoCal FI Mod

iamboo is on a distinguished road
okay... this is how it is.... the more weight and speed you put on a moving object the more momentum it has and therefore it is harder to stop.... so... lets say i brought 4 of my friends with me racing in the car, which is probably the stoopidest thing to do. anyways... by myself the car would be able to stop pretty quick with the stock but an aftermarket brake system like the cross drilled and big rotor/caliper system would make you stop quicker in case of an emergency.. DUH... so yea... i'm just clearing that up...
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to stop faster, check out AEM's site.
They have a big rotor kit for the front and also four-piston calipers if you want to replace those too.
AEM Big Rotor Brake Systems
Old 01-31-2002

EAMBOO you are correct.
AEM Civic you have answer my questions, they even make them from my cars model.
Do you have a contact there?
I'll like to buy the front rotor and 4 piston calipers.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

AEMcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
If your local performance shop can get AEM stuff, go through them.
It'll be a bit cheaper than buying directly from AEM.
As a last resort, AEM's number is 310-484-2322
If they can't hook you up, they can find someone who can.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

CarbonFiberSi is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem with cross drilled rotors is that for them to really work you have to heat them up a lot. I think it
would be better to go with slotted rotors and upgraded pads.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
JoeB16 is an unknown quantity at this point
cross drilled brakes, if drilled after casting will crack under heat. You are going to want to get either rotors that had the drilling incorperated into the casting ot just get some slotted rotors. If you upgrade you brakes with high performance brake pads, stainless steel brake lines and cross ventelated (either slotted or not) rotors your braking performance will increase a lot. there is no need to get lerger diameter rotors unless you plan on making a lot more power over stock.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

RexWatson is an unknown quantity at this point

<< there is no need to get lerger diameter rotors unless you plan on making a lot more power over stock. >>

i don't mind stopping fast. actually back in the day people used to measure performance by how fast a car can go from zero to sixty and back to zero.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

Location: San Diego, California, USA, Northern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol System, Spiral arm of the Milkey Way Galaxy
point is, with the mods i mentioned, youll stop pleanty fast, even with a modest increase in power, not to mention its about 500 bucks cheaper thena big rotor kit, and about 2500 bucks cheaper thena rotor/caliper upgrade.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

NightHawk is an unknown quantity at this point
of course... eventually w/ many engine mods/ upgrades... better brakes will kick in. Try AEM, but there xxxpensive... Try stillen.com, or even Brembo.... they have tight braking systems, and price is not too bad. but, def invest in rotors, i can get brembo xdrilled for like $150 +install..easy.
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

dablueXcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
brembo never make xdrilled rotors for civic.....beware fake brembo xdrilled!!!!!!!

the brembo xdrilled you saw on sale were drilled by some brake companes(no name)....can the companies and rotors be trusted?
who knows?
Old 01-31-2002
Registered!!

like i said, rotors drilled after casting CRACK.
Old 01-31-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Okay... There is a lot of eroneous information in this thread. First off, remember that mass times velocity equals momentum. Therefore, they are both factors that need to be considered when thinking about how powerful a braking system needs to be. However, friction is another importand thing. You need friction to stop the car. What good is it that you car lock the brakes at any speed if you don't have the friction that's requires to STOP the car? By this I'm mostly referring to the contact patch of the tire on the road. Especially the front tire, that's where most of the weight of the car is thrown when braking.

&gt;&gt; The problem with cross drilled rotors is that for them to really work you have to heat them up a lot. I think it would be better to go with slotted rotors and upgraded pads.

This is kind of a general statement with no explanation behind it. The brake pads tend to work better when they're at a certain temperature. Especially performance brake pads. I guess if the rotor stays cooler, then the brake pads do as well. Too much heat is the problem though, if you get past a certain temperature then several things start to go wrong. The brake pads work less efficiently, the rotors work less efficients, and the brake fluid works less efficiently.

&gt;&gt; cross drilled brakes, if drilled after casting will crack under heat.

Granted, that there are higher stresses when doing this sort of thing as opposed to casting them with the holes, but this is not as importand as properly seasoning the rotors and torqueing them down correctly. If the rotors are properly heat cycled, then they temper and these areas of higher stress even out with a much lower tendency to crack than they had at first. Torqueing them down evenly will also not put too much stress on one side of the rotor. Cross drilled rotors will typically run 80 degrees cooler than conventional rotors. This alone could be enough to prevent brake fade when pushing your brakes to the limits. Also, chamfered holes will alleviate the stress concentrations as well.

&gt;&gt; brembo never make xdrilled rotors for civic.....beware fake brembo xdrilled!!!!!!!

Are you sure? I bought Brembo cross-drilled/slotted rotors that were zinc coated and had chamfered holes. Maybe the holes and the zinc coating were made by another company? I don't know? All I can say is that I put them on and so far so good. I will be writing a full review of these bad boys as soon as I finish breaking them in and have had a chance to test them out fully. I wrote a DIY for installation already; it's in the Tech Stuff forum if you'de like to check it out.
Old 02-01-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
You are the man, Grey.
Old 02-01-2002

Very good points from most of you guys.
I learned a lot and I'll make an educated decision when the time comes to replace my brakes.
It will be my very next mod.
Thank you for all the input even for all the smack talkers that brought up a point ( A little knowledge is a very dangerous thing)
never the less the even the dumm suggestions clear the air in a lot pf misconceptions about the subject.
My ride will be ready today I've worked on it for over 2 months.
Unfortunatelly I ran ouf of money for the braking mods I want it will be a month before I can start working on it.
My wife is giving me a lot of caca about the money I've speended.
I'll post pictures of my car when is done.
Supermex Inca Pearl LX 5 speed manual
Short shifter MOMO
DC Header
NOS
OBX muffler 3" pipe.
Injen CAI/SRI
18" MOMO sports wheels
Octaine front bumper
Wings West body Kit
Mini commando rear spoiler
Carbon fiber hood
Z3 fenders
Projector headlights painted to mach color of car.
Alteza tail lights
DC upper strur bar
Custom interior Blk Suede and silver leather,
JL W5 18" subwoofers/cd player/piooneer speakers
3000w of power plants
Much much more to list.
Old 02-01-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Whoa! Sounds like you've done quite a lot to it. Post pics soon dude. I'm curious as to what it looks like. I can almost picture it in my mind though. I'm not sure about mixing and matching the body kits though.