General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What's the Problem w/the Ridgeline

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
i am a redneck straight up and if gas prices went back down or if i got a raise i would be back at ford maybe chevy in a heart beat. im sorry but you dont buy a truck for some fancy electromagnetic clutch in the rear diff. i want posi-trac. i want a bed that i can fit a full size bed in minimum. i want something i can tow a ski boat and 2 weeks camping supplies up to tahoe in. i dont want some cheap civic bangin its cousin the crv and creatin the inbread cousin to the mdx lookin truck.
Old 07-15-2005
jdmtytedoridori
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Al Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of lightAl Gore FTW is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by nick95673
i am a redneck straight up and if gas prices went back down or if i got a raise i would be back at ford maybe chevy in a heart beat. im sorry but you dont buy a truck for some fancy electromagnetic clutch in the rear diff. i want posi-trac. i want a bed that i can fit a full size bed in minimum. i want something i can tow a ski boat and 2 weeks camping supplies up to tahoe in. i dont want some cheap civic bangin its cousin the crv and creatin the inbread cousin to the mdx lookin truck.
ok
Old 07-15-2005
4 cyclinders down, 4 to go.....

acjones21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by HondaSales
alot of people don't understand hondas 4wd system. it is front wheel drive in normal conditions. sensors continually monitor traction at each wheel and send the data to the computer. the ecu will instantly distribute torque to all 4 wheels to maintain traction. plus the ridgeline has electromagnetic clutches in the rear differential that can deliver up to 70% of engine power to the rear wheels!
i understand it perfectly, but the engine is transversely mounted, so its mainly FWD. Thats why people like the AWD in the GTR vs. an eclipse, its the RWD bias.

ps-trucks need solid axles & my blazer delivered 100% of its drive power to the rear wheels
Old 07-15-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
im amazed youve all left out the fact that its a full-framed UNIBODY.. its completely useless. If you were to take it out on terrain like in their commercials, youd have so much chassis flex, all of your wheels would be going opposite directions. I dont know, but I agree with other companies not trying to re-invent the wheel. Ladder frames with a cabin bolted to it have worked extremely well in the past, and I don't think that will change. and btw, the chevy avalanche and its cadi counter-part isnt a truck, its a POS.
Old 07-15-2005
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
When Honda announced that they would make a truck, I got somewhat excited because my trusty Nissan is now 20 years old. But when I saw WHAT honda built, the excitement started to fade. I kinda hoped for a regular or midsize TRUCK. When I saw the PRICE, (Are they NUTS??) I decided to keep my 20 year old Nissan. (still runs like a champ)

I really think that for a truck, the ridgeline is just too expensive, even as a base model.
I can get a ford F-150 with a REAL bed for about 17k. Sorry, Honda.
Old 07-15-2005
Registered!!

Wolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura aboutWolfgang5884 has a spectacular aura about
I think its because its designed too much like a car and not a truck
Old 07-15-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
it appeals to middle-aged white women. when the majority of consumers buying trucks are just men in general.
Old 07-16-2005
The blackbeauty ES1.

jhonsok is an unknown quantity at this point
Ridgelines not meant to take a beating like the Fords or Chevys..its a city truck, a soccer mom truck..cmon it has a built in cooler in the back with a drain..
tailgate parties anyone?
Ridgelines got so much bang for your buck. Its pretty much the EXT version of the Pilot.
Dont let those sales figures turn you down for the car..trust me..its worth every penny..i paint them everyday at the Honda of Canada plant..and i've been in one..a very smooth ride..
and starting at around $34,800 (CDN)...thats a good deal..
Old 07-16-2005
Registered!!

HondCivc91 is an unknown quantity at this point
personally, i love the looks of the new Ridgeline. I don't think Honda was trying to grab the Ford and Chevy people when they came out with it either. But like some people said, a lot of consumers are brand loyal. I garuntee a lot of previous Honda owners will consider the Ridgeline as an upgrade from the CR-V or Element because it's bigger, offers more power, etc etc. The small bed isn't completely impractical, but it's practical enough for a typical Honda shopper.

I myself would own one in a heartbeat if I could afford it. I personally don't like Chevy and Ford trucks, and the Ridgeline is enough for me to throw some stuff in from Home Depot or pull a couple jetski's or a trailer to the dump. It does all that, and it's cabin is large enough to fit five adults comfortably. Sounds good to me!
Old 07-16-2005
Registered!!

Mike04Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
only thing i REALLY dont like about the ridgeline are the arched/angled frame lookin things on the bed part. like the avalanch has, but it looks even worse on the honda,...other than that,..i pretty much think i would buy one if i really wanted a truck.
one thing that got me was, it looks bigger in the commercials
Old 07-16-2005
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by jhonsok
Ridgelines not meant to take a beating like the Fords or Chevys..its a city truck, a soccer mom truck..cmon it has a built in cooler in the back with a drain..
tailgate parties anyone?
Ridgelines got so much bang for your buck. Its pretty much the EXT version of the Pilot.
Dont let those sales figures turn you down for the car..trust me..its worth every penny..i paint them everyday at the Honda of Canada plant..and i've been in one..a very smooth ride..
and starting at around $34,800 (CDN)...thats a good deal..
It's not the sale figures that is turning most people down, its the high price of them, the FWD, the unibody (great to haul your Honda bikes on the streets but not good for off-roading, or payload.) Like you say "...its a city truck..." So why does Honda advertice it as a off-road truck?

The gas milage is another thing; not at Honda level. Like a member here said something among the lines of having better fuel economy than the Avalanch but only 2 miles better both in city and highway. The Colorado/Canyon give you better mile/gallons and fully loaded cost about the same as a base Ridgeline.

It's great that you have loyalty to Honda and the work you do. You and people like you are the best employees; but the fact of the matter is that the truck came up short when compared to the competition.