General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Driving techniques for better gas mileage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005
The one and only....

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Echelon04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Driving techniques for better gas mileage...

I was thinking today of all the ways you can drive to save gas. I try to shift around 3,000 rpms, I try not to run them up all the time. Also, accellerate smoothly. A lot of times, I just put it in neutral when slowing down instead of downshifting. Also, keeping correct air pressure in your tires help. What else can be done to help gas mileage?
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
lighten your load. take all the old stuff out of the trunk. staying at 60mph makes a huge difference.
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

astrosi is an unknown quantity at this point
Civics r high reving ... rev that up ...
Old 06-29-2005
I Hunt Goats, Rams, And Mustangs.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Drive where your car is tuned.. An ex loves just below 4000 rpm. You get on the freeway, i can go damb near 450 miles with 13 gal tank. (thats withe dc headers, a CAI and a muffler).
Old 06-29-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
rev it up haha okay but then I only get 15-20mpg.
Old 06-29-2005
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
Remember that aerodynamics affect gas mileage:

Roll those windows up. Keep your car washed and waxed. Don't bolt a gigantic wing on your trunk.
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

nick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to beholdnick95673 is a splendid one to behold
was the rev it up for fuel econmy line a joke? running at higher rpms creates more heat which leads to more wear and tear and decreased gas mileage. dont force your car to lug but if you shift at 3k you should never have an issue with your car lugging
Old 06-29-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
less revs, less throttle, proper tire pressure, clean air filter.
Old 06-29-2005

TransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of lightTransformedBG is a glorious beacon of light
Dont forget to change your oil
Old 06-29-2005
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TransformedBG
Dont forget to change your oil
all fluids, the cleaner and smoother everything runs, the easier it is for the engine to run, better gas mileage
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

TurboDieselDrew is an unknown quantity at this point
-Keep the car in good running condition
-Use the thinnest synthetic oil that still protects your engine
-Change all gear/trans fluids to synthetic
-Flush coolant
-Keep the revs low and CONSISTENT
-Air up the tires
-Windows up above 50mph
-Use gas from a station with a lot of traffic
-Change the air filter
-Take out excess weight (spare tire/jack/personal items)
-Have tires balanced/alignment checked
-Run some fuel system cleaner
-Change the O2 sensors if you are over 75k miles

Last edited by TurboDieselDrew; 06-29-2005 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

SpecialEdCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TurboDieselDrew
-Keep the car in good running condition
-Use the thinnest synthetic oil that still protects your engine
-Change all gear/trans fluids to synthetic
-Flush coolant
-Keep the revs low and CONSISTENT
-Air up the tires
-Windows up above 50mph
-Use gas from a station with a lot of traffic
-Change the air filter
-Take out excess weight (spare tire/jack/personal items)
-Have tires balanced/alignment checked
-Run some fuel system cleaner
-Change the O2 sensors if you are over 75k miles
Awesome advice. And if you want the ultimate gas milage..... get a moped. We already drive vics they have amazing gas milage. I often wondered how to squeez teh most mpg out of my car. good post
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

thegent is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't see the A/C listed -- doesn't that affect gas mileage negatively as well? With your windows up at over 50mph and no A/C in summer? good luck...
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

TurboDieselDrew is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by thegent
I don't see the A/C listed -- doesn't that affect gas mileage negatively as well? With your windows up at over 50mph and no A/C in summer? good luck...
Over 50mph, the drag created by having the windows down will kill gas mileage more than having the A/C on with the windows up.
Old 06-29-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
ya the a/c only raises rpm by 100 maybe. if you're going constant speed, it won't matter much.
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

chrisleecool has a spectacular aura aboutchrisleecool has a spectacular aura about
a/c doesn't take up much gas AT ALL
I just luv my car...I just do oil changes at around 5k miles (regular oil)
I get around 35~40mpg (A/C on ALL TIMES) ..oh this is with everything in the trunk too..(sub/amp/spare/jack etc...)
2001 EX cpe AUTO w/ 63k miles

oh btw, GEARBOX why is ur MPG so low?????? what's wrong with your car? do u like to abuse it a lot? haha

Last edited by chrisleecool; 06-29-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-29-2005
Premium Member

idk I guess the mods I have tend to favor using more gas in the city. On my last trip to chicago all highway I got around 42mpg. Its just city driving. One time when I was flooring it all the time I got 14.5 or something and I was like whoa not cool.
Old 06-29-2005
The one and only....

^^ haha yeah that's crazy. We should have a contest to see who gets the best mpg.
Old 06-29-2005
Premium Member

Well it varies so much. I believe if you put the cruise on non stop at 55mph until gas light comes on, you would get the most. I gained about 4mpg using fp60 fuel system treatment from lubecontrol.com cause before the highest I've gotten was 38 all highway.
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by masarak
Remember that aerodynamics affect gas mileage:

Roll those windows up. Keep your car washed and waxed. Don't bolt a gigantic wing on your trunk.

just wondering, does washing and waxing your car really affect aerodynamics? i've heard this from a friend but i didnt believe him (cuhz he drank alot that night). but now im confused because youre right about rolling the windows up and not having a gigantic wing on your car so, im assuming that youre also right (not joking) about how washing and waxing your car really do affect aerodynamics?

if this is a joke and i fell for it, then i give everyone permission to call me stupid
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

half_n_half17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Follow behind SUV's or semi's. I usually get around 40 w/ ac. 02 manual ex.
Old 06-29-2005

AzNTiG3R is an unknown quantity at this point
drive normal:-)
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by thegent
To beat that, wear a wet rag on ur head and around ur neck. You may look completely stupid when you're driving but it works. Its proven to be tested in the desert where degrees reach up to 120. It'll keep ya cool.
Old 06-29-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
40 in the city more on the highway. 01 ex stick.SCOUTY is right. rag works. your big 2 heat zones, forhead and feet. knees and neck helps. oh yeah, when i run my air it kills my gas mileage. goes from at least 40 to like 20, thats going like 80 with full blast of air. anyway, yeah.
Old 06-29-2005
I dont know what im talking about

Supermanrider is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic426
just wondering, does washing and waxing your car really affect aerodynamics? i've heard this from a friend but i didnt believe him (cuhz he drank alot that night). but now im confused because youre right about rolling the windows up and not having a gigantic wing on your car so, im assuming that youre also right (not joking) about how washing and waxing your car really do affect aerodynamics?

if this is a joke and i fell for it, then i give everyone permission to call me stupid

no it can help cause ur not having any dirt on your car and u have a coat of wax on it makes it smoother so it helps reduce drag not by a lot but it can make a little difference i dont think it makes a big difference but every little thing can help
Old 06-29-2005
Premium Member

i gotta try the wet rag.
Old 06-30-2005

Originally Posted by Echelon04
^^ haha yeah that's crazy. We should have a contest to see who gets the best mpg.

Well that wouldnt be me any more... take what mine used to be and divide it by half.. yeah oh well the price we pay for haveing a DOHC. lol
Old 06-30-2005
The one and only....

^^lucky!
Old 06-30-2005

oh i got a good way just found it out.... first cut you floor boards out. then remove engine.. now get 4 people in your car, place feet threw missing floor boards, then begin to run. .... yaba daba dooooo.. ... flinstones meet the flintsones....
Old 06-30-2005
Registered!!

xxnoshelterxx is an unknown quantity at this point
engine braking actually uses zero gas, the wheels are turning the engine, not gas. when you are in neutral you are using gas to prevent the car from stalling. if you do it enough it'll add up

Quick Reply: Driving techniques for better gas mileage...