Honda Civic Forum

Honda Civic Forum (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/)
-   General Automotive Discussion (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion)
-   -   Driving techniques for better gas mileage... (https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3-general-automotive-discussion/218132-driving-techniques-better-gas-mileage.html)

Echelon04 06-28-2005 02:07 PM

Driving techniques for better gas mileage...

I was thinking today of all the ways you can drive to save gas. I try to shift around 3,000 rpms, I try not to run them up all the time. Also, accellerate smoothly. A lot of times, I just put it in neutral when slowing down instead of downshifting. Also, keeping correct air pressure in your tires help. What else can be done to help gas mileage?

nick95673 06-29-2005 04:34 PM

lighten your load. take all the old stuff out of the trunk. staying at 60mph makes a huge difference.

astrosi 06-29-2005 04:44 PM

Civics r high reving ... rev that up ...

TransformedBG 06-29-2005 04:50 PM

Drive where your car is tuned.. An ex loves just below 4000 rpm. You get on the freeway, i can go damb near 450 miles with 13 gal tank. (thats withe dc headers, a CAI and a muffler).

gearbox 06-29-2005 05:00 PM

rev it up haha okay but then I only get 15-20mpg.

masarak 06-29-2005 05:04 PM

Remember that aerodynamics affect gas mileage:

Roll those windows up. Keep your car washed and waxed. Don't bolt a gigantic wing on your trunk.

nick95673 06-29-2005 05:12 PM

was the rev it up for fuel econmy line a joke? running at higher rpms creates more heat which leads to more wear and tear and decreased gas mileage. dont force your car to lug but if you shift at 3k you should never have an issue with your car lugging

CuRiOuSfIsH 06-29-2005 06:25 PM

less revs, less throttle, proper tire pressure, clean air filter.

TransformedBG 06-29-2005 06:28 PM

Dont forget to change your oil

booba5185 06-29-2005 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by TransformedBG
Dont forget to change your oil

all fluids, the cleaner and smoother everything runs, the easier it is for the engine to run, better gas mileage

TurboDieselDrew 06-29-2005 07:28 PM

-Keep the car in good running condition
-Use the thinnest synthetic oil that still protects your engine
-Change all gear/trans fluids to synthetic
-Flush coolant
-Keep the revs low and CONSISTENT
-Air up the tires
-Windows up above 50mph
-Use gas from a station with a lot of traffic
-Change the air filter
-Take out excess weight (spare tire/jack/personal items)
-Have tires balanced/alignment checked
-Run some fuel system cleaner
-Change the O2 sensors if you are over 75k miles

SpecialEdCivic 06-29-2005 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by TurboDieselDrew
-Keep the car in good running condition
-Use the thinnest synthetic oil that still protects your engine
-Change all gear/trans fluids to synthetic
-Flush coolant
-Keep the revs low and CONSISTENT
-Air up the tires
-Windows up above 50mph
-Use gas from a station with a lot of traffic
-Change the air filter
-Take out excess weight (spare tire/jack/personal items)
-Have tires balanced/alignment checked
-Run some fuel system cleaner
-Change the O2 sensors if you are over 75k miles

Awesome advice. And if you want the ultimate gas milage..... get a moped. We already drive vics they have amazing gas milage. I often wondered how to squeez teh most mpg out of my car. good post :clap:

thegent 06-29-2005 09:04 PM

I don't see the A/C listed -- doesn't that affect gas mileage negatively as well? With your windows up at over 50mph and no A/C in summer? good luck...

TurboDieselDrew 06-29-2005 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by thegent
I don't see the A/C listed -- doesn't that affect gas mileage negatively as well? With your windows up at over 50mph and no A/C in summer? good luck...

Over 50mph, the drag created by having the windows down will kill gas mileage more than having the A/C on with the windows up.

gearbox 06-29-2005 09:12 PM

ya the a/c only raises rpm by 100 maybe. if you're going constant speed, it won't matter much.

chrisleecool 06-29-2005 09:59 PM

:_bow: a/c doesn't take up much gas AT ALL
I just luv my car...I just do oil changes at around 5k miles (regular oil)
I get around 35~40mpg (A/C on ALL TIMES) ..oh this is with everything in the trunk too..(sub/amp/spare/jack etc...)
2001 EX cpe AUTO w/ 63k miles

oh btw, GEARBOX why is ur MPG so low?????? what's wrong with your car? do u like to abuse it a lot? haha :D

gearbox 06-29-2005 10:12 PM

idk I guess the mods I have tend to favor using more gas in the city. On my last trip to chicago all highway I got around 42mpg. Its just city driving. One time when I was flooring it all the time I got 14.5 or something and I was like whoa not cool. :)

Echelon04 06-29-2005 10:32 PM

^^ haha yeah that's crazy. We should have a contest to see who gets the best mpg.

gearbox 06-29-2005 10:34 PM

Well it varies so much. I believe if you put the cruise on non stop at 55mph until gas light comes on, you would get the most. I gained about 4mpg using fp60 fuel system treatment from lubecontrol.com cause before the highest I've gotten was 38 all highway.

fuzzylogic426 06-29-2005 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by masarak
Remember that aerodynamics affect gas mileage:

Roll those windows up. Keep your car washed and waxed. Don't bolt a gigantic wing on your trunk.

just wondering, does washing and waxing your car really affect aerodynamics? i've heard this from a friend but i didnt believe him (cuhz he drank alot that night). but now im confused because youre right about rolling the windows up and not having a gigantic wing on your car :rofl: so, im assuming that youre also right (not joking) about how washing and waxing your car really do affect aerodynamics?

if this is a joke and i fell for it, then i give everyone permission to call me stupid :rofl:

half_n_half17 06-29-2005 10:42 PM

Follow behind SUV's or semi's. I usually get around 40 w/ ac. 02 manual ex.

AzNTiG3R 06-29-2005 10:57 PM

drive normal:-)

VietScouty 06-29-2005 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by thegent

To beat that, wear a wet rag on ur head and around ur neck. You may look completely stupid when you're driving but it works. Its proven to be tested in the desert where degrees reach up to 120. It'll keep ya cool.

MajinB 06-29-2005 11:12 PM

40 in the city more on the highway. 01 ex stick.SCOUTY is right. rag works. your big 2 heat zones, forhead and feet. knees and neck helps. oh yeah, when i run my air it kills my gas mileage. goes from at least 40 to like 20, thats going like 80 with full blast of air. anyway, yeah.

Supermanrider 06-29-2005 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic426
just wondering, does washing and waxing your car really affect aerodynamics? i've heard this from a friend but i didnt believe him (cuhz he drank alot that night). but now im confused because youre right about rolling the windows up and not having a gigantic wing on your car :rofl: so, im assuming that youre also right (not joking) about how washing and waxing your car really do affect aerodynamics?

if this is a joke and i fell for it, then i give everyone permission to call me stupid :rofl:

no it can help cause ur not having any dirt on your car and u have a coat of wax on it makes it smoother so it helps reduce drag not by a lot but it can make a little difference i dont think it makes a big difference but every little thing can help

gearbox 06-29-2005 11:47 PM

i gotta try the wet rag. :)

TransformedBG 06-30-2005 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Echelon04
^^ haha yeah that's crazy. We should have a contest to see who gets the best mpg.

Well that wouldnt be me any more... take what mine used to be and divide it by half.. yeah oh well the price we pay for haveing a DOHC. lol

Echelon04 06-30-2005 08:54 AM

^^lucky!

TransformedBG 06-30-2005 09:55 AM

oh i got a good way just found it out.... first cut you floor boards out. then remove engine.. now get 4 people in your car, place feet threw missing floor boards, then begin to run. .... yaba daba dooooo.. ... flinstones meet the flintsones.... :bump:

xxnoshelterxx 06-30-2005 10:19 AM

engine braking actually uses zero gas, the wheels are turning the engine, not gas. when you are in neutral you are using gas to prevent the car from stalling. if you do it enough it'll add up