General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

DRL Issue after battery disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
schitzo1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation DRL Issue after battery disconnect

Hello,
I have a 2003 Civic SI (in canada), its the 2 door sports coupe. In the US its another model (LX, EX ??).
Anyways that doesnt matter...

I had to change a light bulb (I have TYC projectos with Brite white bulbs).
My highbeam was ok but my regular light was burnt, so i swapped the 2 as I cant remember that last time i needed my Highbeams.
To do so I had to remove my battery to get enough clearance to get in there and swap the 2 bulbs.

I did that succeffully.
When i started the car again, i had to put in the radio code but then i noticed that my DRL light (on my intrument console) would not turn off when I put down my hand brake. It goes off for a second and makes that clicking sound that we all know but then it lights right up again and the Day Time lights do not go on.

When I turn on my nite nights, the Day lights go on as well (as they always have). So i know that the 2 little bulbs are fine and they light up just fine along with my night ones. (also both my turn signal lights are fine as well).

Could disconnecting the battery do something to the controller that flicks them on when i put my handbrake down?

I tried looking back in the engine bay, and there literally was nothing that I couldve touched to cuase this to happen, it was a simple 2 bulb swap....asides for disconnecting and removing the battery.

Any ideas? I dont want to have to go to the dealership for something like this.
Especially that I do not have stock light housings...theyll just point the finger and say ahhh not our problem..
I have had the TYC's for 2 years and never had a problem before...so it cannot be realted to that, also all connections are fine (seeing as how the Day lights come on just fine when my night lights are on.)

thanks,

Eric
Montreal, Canada

attard1978 @ hotmail ,com
Old 05-09-2005
Registered!!

schitzo1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
any help

Hey guys, can anyone offer help or assistance.

Like i said in a previous post, when i turn on my night lights, my little day Lights also light up. So i know that they actually work.

I called my local honda dealership and he said that it could be a fuse which controls the DRL function when you put down your hand break.
Not being an expert, I want to know if this makes sence...remember the DRL light does go off and the lights do come on when i put on my night lights.

Just not when i put down my hand break. The DRL adsh light actually goes off for a fraction of a second and makes the click sound that it normally makes when the lights go on. But then it quickly comes back on and the Day lights dont actually go on.

If this is possible could anyone point me to the fuse which controls the Automatic DRL function?
I could always try sticking in a new fuse (assuming this makes any sence).

Thanks again,
Eric
Montreal, Canada
Old 05-09-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Yes the DRL's are enabled by the parking brake release. A good test if that switch is working would be if the red brake light indicator comes on in the dash when handle up means the switch is o.k.

I have the wiring and some troubleshooting info on the Canada models headlights and DRL circuits(4 pages ) in PDF format.

If you want it PM with E-Mail and I will get it to you.

I think there is a 10 and a 7.5 amp fuses used for the control circuit.
Old 06-19-2005
Registered!!

Pure is an unknown quantity at this point
I just had the same problem. DRL Light came on the same way but was the blubs I put in. The car just didn't like the after market eurolite super plasma blubs I put in. So I removed them put in the oem's again and all is fine.