General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

IS300 or CL-S

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
IS300 or CL-S

Well, after much research and eliminating cars that I want I came down to 2 final choices which I am stuck on. The Acura CL Type S or the Lexus IS300.

Basically it goes like this.

$18k-$20k I can get an 01-02 IS300 with around 40k miles in good shape.
$18k-$20k also gets me an 2003 Acura CL Type S in the 30k since these cars did not hold their resale value too well.... in my area I seen the 03 CL-S go for low as 17k even.
------------------------------------------------------------

-I love the design of both cars but the IS300 IMO looks a little better.

-The CL Type S is a good chunk faster then the IS300 as I seen people post numbers of low 14s with i/h/e on the Cl forums.

-The IS300 seem to be a low 15 second cars from what I can tell and maybe dip into the high 14s with i/h/e, correct me if I'm wrong cuz I'm not 100% on this one.

-Reliability? I think both cars do well in that category.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Pros IS300

*IS300 will be worth more money in 2-3 years because this car seems to hold it's value much better then the CL.

*IS300 looks a little nicer then the CL-S IMO.

*Huge aftermarket for IS300

*Resale value higher then CL-S

*RWD
Cons IS300
*01-couple 02 models (mostly 01s) with 40k-50k miles cost the same as 03 CL-S

----------------------------------------------------
Pros CL-S

*2003 CL-S with very very low miles (20k-30k) could be bought for the same price as 01 IS300 with more miles. Basically, I will get a newer car in better shape with the CL-S

*Faster then the IS300

Cons CL-S
*Resale value. I'm a little shocked at how low the resale value for this car is esspecially because Acura hold the value very well.

*DISCONTINUED in 2003, only made from 2001-2003

*Much smaller after market
--------------------------------------------------
I'm not planning to turbo any car so dont say get the IS300 cuz the 2jz engine is a good engine to boost.....

If I missed something int he Pros/Cons let me know and give me some good opinions. Thanks guys.
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
i say IS300 if it were between the two cars. but for the money i'd go buy a used rsx type-s or celica gt-s.
Old 03-22-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
rear wheel drive....... that is all
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

TurboDieselDrew is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd go with the IS300 or heck, look for a BMW M3 in that price range.
Old 03-22-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
cl-s, faster and classier imo.
Old 03-22-2005
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
between those two, definately the CL-S. a few people around here have those and they are awesome. for that money i would get a 00,01 GS400/430.
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
test drive both, see which one you like more, but ild say cl-s
Old 03-22-2005
Banned

ImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trustedImPulse should not be trusted
350z
Old 03-22-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
is-300... trust me.
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

typeRDreamer is an unknown quantity at this point
Go for the CL-S, I havent seen many of em around...I personally dont like driving something that everyone else has.
Old 03-22-2005
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by umysugarmami
is-300... trust me.
what makes your opinion more important than everyone else?
Old 03-22-2005
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

baggedblue02 will become famous soon enoughbaggedblue02 will become famous soon enough
check out what consumer report says about the IS, it got one of the highest rankings
when resale drops it's usually for a reason

you also missed a pro, (its a lexus)
Old 03-22-2005
Registered!!

mykungfuisthebest is an unknown quantity at this point
i would shop around more... you would be suprised what you can get in that price range... the cl-s is almost just to soccer mom, and although the 300 looks ok, its not going to be fast, especialy handling wise. but im biased ive always hated toyotas, though id drive a mkIV supra if ya gave it to me lol.
Old 03-23-2005

baggedblue02 will become famous soon enoughbaggedblue02 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by mykungfuisthebest
its not going to be fast, especialy handling wise.
I beg to differ
Old 03-23-2005
Stolen digital camera = no ninja picture for me

PoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the roughPoorCollegeBoy is a jewel in the rough
IS300 Pro: 4 doors!
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
No comparison... IS300. It will out-do CL in every way possible, and I mean EVERY way.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
PRO: Accord and CL-S have some interchangable parts and Accord has a fairly large aftermarket.

Comparing stock cars, I'd get the CL-S for power and the IS300 for looks.

I think a reason resale value dipped because the car just didn't fit in Honda's line up.
The new Accord V6 could be had for slightly less than the CL-S.
Both came with many similar options and majority liked the Accord's looks better.

I just remember seeing a review of the CL-S on television and the show talked of how wonderful the handling of the car was.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
thanks for the input guys, even though it was 50/50 haha

I'm leaning a little towards the IS300 because they are very rare around my area, i barely see any at all. I see about 10 TLs/CLs every single day because that seems to be the choice of the middle class in the philly/suburb area. Based on volume of cars thw CL is definatly more popular and hooking up an IS300 would very very very unique around here.

The only thing I dont like about that is slower compared to the CL-S... but I'm more into styling of cars then performance.

I seen someone suggest like a Lexus GS, RSX-X.... I want a sports luxury car for sure so I think the IS300 and the CL-S are exactly what I'm looking for. Plus I'm definatly gonna modify the car so I want it to have that sporty look...
Old 03-23-2005
There is no substitute

ironchef is an unknown quantity at this point
They're both great cars, but it comes down to handling vs power. Also, you have to consider if practicality is important to you. Personally, I like the idea of a sedan, so that's why I bought one, but if that's not an issue, then it doesn't matter. I would say that you should see if you can find a TL Type-S A-Spec. My friend has one, and the (factory) body kit and wheels look amazing. He has a blue one (very close to Eternal Blue Pearl), and even though I see TLs all the time, his is the only A-Spec I've seen in town. Also, the interior is beautiful compared to the regular Type-S.
Old 03-23-2005
Rape is no laughing matter--Unless your raping a clown!

CplJon will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by TurboDieselDrew
I'd go with the IS300 or heck, look for a BMW M3 in that price range.
IS-300, but like TurboDiesel said an M-3 is mighty sweet. Sporty yet distinguished--Man I feel like a cigar toten bastard saying happy horsesh!t like that. Apologies
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

I want Lexus/Acura for the reliability...... I heard that BMWs are only good to have until the factory warrenty runs out...
Old 03-23-2005
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cambo
what makes your opinion more important than everyone else?
i never said my opinion was more important... i'm just speaking from personal experience.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
IS300

i am planning on getting me one too!!! cant wait
Old 03-23-2005
#1 S2000 Fan

ViNRoCk8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Well the IS300 is a nice car, my best friend has had two of them. He crashed the first one, got 20k from the insurance company and went and bought another one the next day. The car holds its value very well. The only thing I would suggest is get a manual. The first one he had was automatic. Very boring. He got the manual the second time and liked it sooooo much better.

And everyone talking about how its a 4 door as a reason to get it. Believe me there isn't that much room back there especially if your boy got a little pimp in his seat in front of you, and he prolly will since he's in a Lexus. LOL.

And since you are into this luxury thing as i'm sure you know, to most people in the general public: Lexus > Acura

As far as status is concerned
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ViNRoCk8
Well the IS300 is a nice car, my best friend has had two of them. He crashed the first one, got 20k from the insurance company and went and bought another one the next day. The car holds its value very well. The only thing I would suggest is get a manual. The first one he had was automatic. Very boring. He got the manual the second time and liked it sooooo much better.

Yea, I will be looking for a manual but since all 2001 IS300s were automatic it might be a little harder to find an IS300 in my price range since all manuals began in 2002. I'll give it a shot though.

I'm not planning to keep the car forever, I liek to change cars every 3 years or so and I want to make sure I'll get a decent chunk of my money back so this is why the IS300 is a big favorite. The CL will most likely keep losing value and I'll end up losing more money in the long run iwht the CL...
Old 03-23-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Yeah, a IS300 Manual would def. be the best choice for a "fun" car, but a FWD Auto would be my recommendation for an everyday car. If you plan on selling it after a couple of years though, than maybe the IS is the car for you.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

stlblues13 is an unknown quantity at this point
IS300 FOR SURE!
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

devilvtec is an unknown quantity at this point
IS300, I like the idea of a sedan.
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

slicksivik will become famous soon enoughslicksivik will become famous soon enough
i dont think the is300 is more rare then the cl-s cuz i see a bunch of is300 here in the philly area and there all gay looking. i dont like the look of the is300 cuz there so boxy. i dont htink a hooked up is300 is real unique cuz theres like a few at my school hooked up/
Old 03-23-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by slicksivik
i dont think the is300 is more rare then the cl-s cuz i see a bunch of is300 here in the philly area and there all gay looking. i dont like the look of the is300 cuz there so boxy. i dont htink a hooked up is300 is real unique cuz theres like a few at my school hooked up/
around northeast philly/bensalem.... i have yet to see a modded IS300.... i saw like 2 or 3 stocks one and thats it. maybe its different up at center city

Quick Reply: IS300 or CL-S