General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

civic vs cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dnbguy86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Theres a few things i dont understand, is it because its a domestic ya'll dont like it....or is it because its actually a decent competitor in the sport compact area? those are the only two things i can come up with, because almost 10 times out of 10, even the sedan version of the cobalt with beat the civic in performance category. now granted the quality and looks mite not be quite as good but its pretty decent. plus, yall fail to mention all the bad things about a honda like the shity stock speakers, uncomfortable seats, and all the bad exposure that comes with having a tuned civic. i think yur more likely to get singled out by a cop in a supped up civic than a cobalt. i got pulled over the other day becuase i was on my way back to school and i happened to be driving by a slammed 92 hatch, and automatically a cop coming the other direction immeadiately stopped us and accused of us racing just becuz we were side by side...not to mention he said i just saw 2 rice burners going down the street, looked like yall were racing. i could care less for that kinda attention tho...
Old 01-18-2005
Godlike member

ex_03 is on a distinguished road
Last I checked the title of this website is 7thgencivic. Most if not all the members here are going to be fans of the 7thegeneration civic and years past. So when someone wants to get an opinion of another brand of car the people in here are gunna step up and speak there mind. If you want to hear ravings about that car then go find site that will please you, don't bitch becuase a site filled with people who love hondas wont say they love crappy attemp of a honda!!!!
Old 01-18-2005
Registered!!

BigGeorge is an unknown quantity at this point
I live near the lordstown GM plant where the cobalt is manufactured and I know some people that work there also, they don't have much positive things to say about the car. I will say that it is a major improvement over the cavalier though. Put it this way, I rate the GM employee discount because my stepmother works at delphi, there is no way I would ever buy any gm car's except for the Z06 Vette. I get a sweet discount and guess what I drive, a honda civic. That tells you something, don't do it.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
i don't think anyone's really contesting the performance area of the car. I think everyone just wants you to be aware that GM doesn't have a great reputation when it comes to build quality. For the amount of performance your getting, the car is pretty cheap, but how do you think they do it? They have to save money somewhere in order to pass the savings down to the buyer.

If there not doing in labor, by manufacturing there cars in mexico like ford, then there doing in quality of materials. In other words they use crappy parts to be able to give you a 200hp car for 20k.

The colbalt will outperform the civic, pretty much in every way. Until your stuck on the side road for some stupid engine problem with your hazards on waiting for the tow truck. Then the slow civic who has 100k on the car with no problems passes you by. Yeah your going to save money on parts and labor since you work at the dealership and you have warranty, but your going to lose a lot in time. Just waiting for your car to be fixed or towed.

So the questions you have to ask yourself is....

how often your going to drive the car? How long your going to keep it? Is it a long communte to work? how important is your time?

those type of questions. GM has improved a lot in quality, but there sub par when compared to the japanese cars or even some of the chysler cars.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

orion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really niceorion_squall is just really nice
as I said, if you won't keep cobalt for that long then it will be a good car to have.

It is basically a car designed to be leased, not kept.
Old 01-19-2005
Im the man in the box

Ledbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud ofLedbelly has much to be proud of
IMO I wouldnt get it. When you're in your civic and you pass a cobalt on the side of the road broke down ....... you'll kiss your steering wheel.

BTW what class is the Cobalt SS in ?
Old 01-19-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by _Viper_
You know what ??? Get the Cobalt SS...All I can say from experience is that I will never buy another GM midsize car in my life......
cobalt=compact malibu and impala = midsize
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ledbelly
IMO I wouldnt get it. When you're in your civic and you pass a cobalt on the side of the road broke down ....... you'll kiss your steering wheel.

BTW what class is the Cobalt SS in ?

But im so tired of giving it some gas and not going anywhere, hate to say it as i was an avid import enthusiast, but i think im being converted to domestics cause they just have the power im lookin for...i understand that less power is more reliable but damn theres only so much i can take from this car.
Old 01-19-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dnbguy86
But im so tired of giving it some gas and not going anywhere, hate to say it as i was an avid import enthusiast, but i think im being converted to domestics cause they just have the power im lookin for...i understand that less power is more reliable but damn theres only so much i can take from this car.
Well here is a tip for ya. If you want your civic to be fast, spend some money.
Old 01-19-2005
Godlike member

I Agree with thiscracker, I personally love doing the mods my self, But just buying a car that has the get up and go just wouldnt feel right I guess.Like if someone bought our boy's 7thgen with the k20a2 with 520HP yea it would be awsome to smoke a bunch of people but knowing that you didnt build it.
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ex_03
I Agree with thiscracker, I personally love doing the mods my self, But just buying a car that has the get up and go just wouldnt feel right I guess.Like if someone bought our boy's 7thgen with the k20a2 with 520HP yea it would be awsome to smoke a bunch of people but knowing that you didnt build it.

That motor combination is unreasonable...you will never get that much outta of a street car. well i hate to burst yur bubble but in one isue of sport compact car, they were testing i believe an ecotec powered car, and to see what the weakest link in the motor was, they sprayed a 225 shot on a stock ecotec and it withheld the power a few times, then the rods gave way....and after 500hp the stock ecotec with upgraded rods had no problem performing, absolutely no production civic can compete with this...
Old 01-19-2005
Godlike member

you hate to bust my bubble? LOL..your not busting nuthing!!! you need to see this then!!!:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...en+civic+video
I was trying to reiderate the fact of someone buying a so called faster car than the civic as a waist becuase they dont get the pleasure of knowing they built it. the link I put there from boostedhybrid was to show that if someone in here bought his car and raced it as if they built it, that would be retarted!!!...

Last edited by ex_03; 01-19-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-19-2005
Banned

thiscrackerntam will become famous soon enoughthiscrackerntam will become famous soon enough
That motor combination is unreasonable...you will never get that much outta of a street car. well i hate to burst yur bubble but in one isue of sport compact car, they were testing i believe an ecotec powered car, and to see what the weakest link in the motor was, they sprayed a 225 shot on a stock ecotec and it withheld the power a few times, then the rods gave way....and after 500hp the stock ecotec with upgraded rods had no problem performing, absolutely no production civic can compete with this...
sorry dude, but you dont know what you're talking about.
Old 01-19-2005
Mr. Negative
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

DaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the roughDaveyD is a jewel in the rough
I cant believe this is still going on.
Old 01-19-2005
Banned

^^believe it because I dont think it will ever end. Muahahahahahaha!
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by thiscrackerntam
sorry dude, but you dont know what you're talking about.

ALright dude, i work in a dealership and i know what these motors are capable of, so frankly you have no experience with cars or sales or any kinda reference with so to put it frankly you shut the **** up cause u dont knwo what yur talking okay. you only wish u could know half as much as i do, and if you care to keep talking **** ill show u the program im in that gm sponsors and show u all the things im capable of, so its yur choice buddy....sorry to get off topic everyone else...
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

sissycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Cobalt

Yall are full of yourself, all of yall think that just because its a honda, that it is the best there is, i drive a 98 civic and its a nice car, and i enjoy it but what you pay for civics there are much better things out there. And everyone that said that a cobalt is too pricy your wrong. You can get a cobalt SS for under 20 i mean what does a honda run about. A 2 door Ex is what 18 or 19 grand. And what do you get for spending all that money, a 100 hp slow turd box, i mean no offense i think they run good for the most part but a civic is far from a performance car i mean i can beat an si in my chevrolet TRUCK, unless you have money just falling out of your wallet, you can't really say that a honda is the best bang for the buck.
Old 01-19-2005
End Bringer

Voiceofid is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by TemjinX2
i don't think anyone's really contesting the performance area of the car. I think everyone just wants you to be aware that GM doesn't have a great reputation when it comes to build quality. For the amount of performance your getting, the car is pretty cheap, but how do you think they do it? They have to save money somewhere in order to pass the savings down to the buyer.
domestic car makers get less tax, import car companies get A LOT more tax, so in reality, domestic cars should be a lot cheaper

and i do believe gm build relieable cars, otherwise, they won't be the top manufacture in the world. you can say toyota is surpassing them, but look how lame toyota's line up is today? gm still carries a lot of excitement in it's line. toyota have... a toaster, a mouse, and a skateboard, toyota built scion because their customers are all 45 and over, and a lot of them are dying, much like caddy's old customers. look at caddy now, they redesigned their car and a hard top convertable corvette in their line up, caddy went from a near death brand to one of the top brands fighting bmw and mercedes for shares. half of the freakin scions i see on the road are old people, and the tc runs 17s, woopee****

and the reason toyotas are so relieable is because toyota uses old tech, the supra tt used a big shutter door to measure intake air flow, instead of a map sensor
Old 01-19-2005
Registered!!

Here, i have proff of my previous statement regarding the performance of the ecotec....click the link

http://s90143335.onlinehome.us/forum...cb0998d3809f62
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Voiceofid
domestic car makers get less tax, import car companies get A LOT more tax, so in reality, domestic cars should be a lot cheaper

and i do believe gm build relieable cars, otherwise, they won't be the top manufacture in the world. you can say toyota is surpassing them, but look how lame toyota's line up is today? gm still carries a lot of excitement in it's line. toyota have... a toaster, a mouse, and a skateboard, toyota built scion because their customers are all 45 and over, and a lot of them are dying, much like caddy's old customers. look at caddy now, they redesigned their car and a hard top convertable corvette in their line up, caddy went from a near death brand to one of the top brands fighting bmw and mercedes for shares. half of the freakin scions i see on the road are old people, and the tc runs 17s, woopee****

and the reason toyotas are so relieable is because toyota uses old tech, the supra tt used a big shutter door to measure intake air flow, instead of a map sensor

i said the colbalt is pretty cheap for the amount of speed your getting. So i did say domestics are a little cheaper overall when compared to imports. Thats why i said you pay less with domestics but you occur more costs in replacements parts and maintence.

Its just a difference in philsophy between domestics and imports (japanese). Domestic companies, they would rather give you a cheaper car that are more prone to breaking down, but backing it up with longer warranties. Japanese makers price there cars higher because they put better quality parts in it so you dont have to replace them as much with shorter warranties.

If you look at auto sales, you'll see most people agree with the japanese philsophy more.

The Japanese companies don't pay as much import tax as you think. Most of them now have plants in the US. For example Honda has a plant in ohio and alabama making civics and odessey's. Toyota has a plant in fresno and some where else i forgot. Hyundai opened a new plant in alabama to make there new sonata coming out. They save money from import tax on there cars by having the cars made in the US and dont suffer from currency changes.

The scion idea from a business stand point is really a smart idea. Why would you change your line up to make it more appealing to the 20 and below age group with the least amount of disposable income and turn off your buyers who are 30 or above with one of the highest. yeah you want to bring in more younger buyers, but you dont want to turn away the age group with the most money.

So toyota solved this problem by creating scion. That scion cater to the 20 age group who can have there parents buy them the car. Then toyota can keep there other lines more conservative which the 30+ age prefers. i dont think toyota makes much money with there scion line, but i think there plan is to implant younger buyers with the idea of buying toyotas so when they have money they can buy camry's and lexus's. Then to make huge profits.

There's nothing wrong in simpler designs to tackle the same problem. Long as it gives you the same amount of performance, simpler designs are better.
Simpler design = less problems, less things breaking down.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Here, i have proff of my previous statement regarding the performance of the ecotec....click the link

http://s90143335.onlinehome.us/forum...cb0998d3809f62

from the sounds of it. It seems like you really want the car. If you spent this much time defending the car, that probably means you want to get the car. If you want overwhelming approval from the members of this site, you won't get it. Do what makes you happy, considering its your money and no one else is paying for your car.
Old 01-20-2005
Why is my vagina bleeding?

nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sissycivic
Yall are full of yourself, all of yall think that just because its a honda, that it is the best there is, i drive a 98 civic and its a nice car, and i enjoy it but what you pay for civics there are much better things out there. And everyone that said that a cobalt is too pricy your wrong. You can get a cobalt SS for under 20 i mean what does a honda run about. A 2 door Ex is what 18 or 19 grand. And what do you get for spending all that money, a 100 hp slow turd box, i mean no offense i think they run good for the most part but a civic is far from a performance car i mean i can beat an si in my chevrolet TRUCK, unless you have money just falling out of your wallet, you can't really say that a honda is the best bang for the buck.

I guess to meet that price there is some trade off. i don't know how your compraing prices but usually you can compare MSRPs. Civic ex coupe msrp 17,010 The Cobalt SS starts for MSRP 21, 995. Difference of approx 5k.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

sissycivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nindoo
I guess to meet that price there is some trade off. i don't know how your compraing prices but usually you can compare MSRPs. Civic ex coupe msrp 17,010 The Cobalt SS starts for MSRP 21, 995. Difference of approx 5k.
true but we are not talking about an SS here we are talking about just a coupe wich is around 16 wich is cheaper and faster than civic i say go for that ****.
Old 01-20-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by TemjinX2
from the sounds of it. It seems like you really want the car. If you spent this much time defending the car, that probably means you want to get the car. If you want overwhelming approval from the members of this site, you won't get it. Do what makes you happy, considering its your money and no one else is paying for your car.

IM not asking for everyones approval just opinion....apparently everyone hates chevy i dunno what the deal is. its a great car, it rides better than any civic ive driven before, but i guess its just all personal pereference...but if anybody wants, my new ecotec will take down anyones vtec in herre...
Old 01-20-2005
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
get a used s2000
Old 01-20-2005

ncirom2003 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by incubus7d
No stupid Cobalt going to beat my civic!!! That car blows!!! Domestic Rice
production rice?????
Old 01-20-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by sissycivic
true but we are not talking about an SS here we are talking about just a coupe wich is around 16 wich is cheaper and faster than civic i say go for that ****.
buy a civic for 16,000 and buy a cobalt for 16,000. after 3 years the civic will be worth 12,000 and the cobalt worth 9,000. one reason to get the civic over the cobalt. so it's a little faster. oh well. plus you're going to get the car, and if you want to mod it, the parts for it will be few and far between until it gets some aftermarket support.
Old 01-20-2005
O RLY

S2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to beholdS2000man01 is a splendid one to behold
but if anybody wants, my new ecotec will take down anyones vtec in herre...
not mine.
Old 01-20-2005
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
possibly the worst interior I have EVER sat into (next to the SRT-4)
Old 01-20-2005
I want a TSX!

sevenplaces is on a distinguished road
also, just because it is "faster" means NOTHING. A stock civic will out corner and out handle ANY cobalt ANY day......... There are minivans that can bet a vic in a straight line! so what!

Quick Reply: civic vs cobalt