General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Can a Civic be modified for drifting??

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
Can a Civic be modified for drifting??

I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I've never really seen any Vics out there moded only for drifting.
I've already done some suspenssion mods on my car, but it still body rolls a lot on curves therefore I was wondering...
Old 01-13-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
it depends on how you define "drift". their was a clip posted on this site where a civic hatchback (the 91 model -) doing a "drift" with e-brake in use. some ppl dont call it drift, some do. their was a argument over it too, try to search for it if its still in the archives.
Old 01-13-2005
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
just b/c a car has body roll doesnt mean it cant drift.... basically, the only techniques front drive cars can use tp drift are e-brake and possibly drop throttle oversteer.... but... thats about it... drifting is not for front drive cars..........
Old 01-13-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
^^^Good point, but then WTF is my car body rolling so freaking much? I remember it didn't as much as it does now and the tires are used but still a lot of rubber to go so...
It oversteers a lot more now than before. I don't know, maybe once I put the Progress sway bars I could take turns better. I hope... What yall think??
Old 01-13-2005
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
whats ur suspension set-up? could be alignment?
Old 01-13-2005
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
^^^Good point, but then WTF is my car body rolling so freaking much? I remember it didn't as much as it does now and the tires are used but still a lot of rubber to go so...
It oversteers a lot more now than before. I don't know, maybe once I put the Progress sway bars I could take turns better. I hope... What yall think??

Ignore the body roll. Handling wise it only does 2 things... 1. it annoys the driver and 2. it causes a bit of camber loss (which can hinder handling).

you say the car oversteers more then before... have you changed any thing recently? have you altered how you as a driver take corners? have you hit any bumps or Potholes that may have altered your alignment?

and just to be sure we are talking about the same thing,
Oversteer = when the rear end of the car starts to slide (Fishtail)
Understeer = When you turn the steering wheel and you still go in a straight line (Or are turning less then what the amount of steering imput should give you)
Old 01-13-2005

Never thought of that...I forgot to mention that I did bring my camber to stock specs after I put the shocks & the camber kit. As far as suspenssion mods: Sporlines w/ HPs, camber kit & a Neuspeed USB. I should prolly take advantage of the alignment warranty and bring it to more negative, but then the freaking tires will start to wear out faster Damn it!! It's like every fvckin mod has pros and cons.
Old 01-13-2005

Yeah Zzyzx...it's oversteering like crazy and I remember it wasn't like that before when camber was super negative. I haven't really driven it into potholes or stuff like that but I did bring the camber to almost factory specs as I mentioned above. I'm not even taking the turns faster...I mean it all really depends on the turns, but I'm refering to the same curves I drive through everyday. As far as changing something on the suspenssion, the shocks was the last thing I did, about 2 months ago....Crap, now I'm concerned about installing both sway bars.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 01-13-2005 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

kasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura aboutkasimmmmm has a spectacular aura about
its impossible to drift with a front wheel drive unless you consider using the handbrake as drifting.
Old 01-13-2005
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
well Here's a couple of tips.

when the car start to over steer Don't lift off the gas or hit the brakes, as that will just make the oversteer worse. Instead add in a bit of throttle, you dont need to add much, just add some gas. and that should settle the car down some.

Also, Try to do more of your braking while you are going in a straight line, so that when you start to turn in, you should be coming off the brakes. If you are on the brakes while you initiate a turn you increase the chance of making the car oversteer.

Other wise, having a FWD car that oversteers isnt a bad thing... you just need to adjust the way you drive in order to take advantage of it.
Old 01-13-2005
Autocross Junky

Originally Posted by kasimmmmm
its impossible to drift with a front wheel drive unless you consider using the handbrake as drifting.

Funny, My car "Drifts" at just about every Autocross.... and all I have to do is lift off the throttle.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

HorrorSkopes is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, to get the best out of drifting, convert to RWD.
Old 01-13-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
I know this may sound like a stupid question, but I've never really seen any Vics out there moded only for drifting.
I've already done some suspenssion mods on my car, but it still body rolls a lot on curves therefore I was wondering...
There are some. I think a 89 crx was rear wheel drive once, and they do swap engines and drift them, but very rarely because it's a very unbalanced car. But it's been done. I don't think the new ones though, because it's just too much pain in the *** to modify to rwd.

Last edited by 02boostlessCIV; 01-13-2005 at 08:53 PM.