General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Ever Drive Without Headlights By Mistake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005
Stop f*cking with me.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Ever Drive Without Headlights By Mistake?

Last night I was in Newport Beach with this girl I work with, and I accidentally forgot to turn on my headlights when we left this 7-11. Sure enough, within seconds the PO-lice pulled me over and I got the usual interrigation as to whether I'm drunk or not, blah blah blah. But seriously, sometimes I'll just forget to turn on my lights if I'm in a well-lit neighborhood. I dunno, I think I definately need to make this a huge priority at night. Unless I want a nasty ticket. Anyway, I'm lucky I didn't get a one. That would have been gay. "Why'd you get your ticket?" "oh, you know, driving 50 feet without my headlights."
Old 01-13-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
there are devices on the market that can automatically turn them on for you if its a consistent problem. its never been an issue for me, i have a whole sequence that i go through when i drive:
get in, put on my radios' face plate, make sure im in neutral, start the car, turn on my lights and buckle my seatbelt...
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

usafstud will become famous soon enoughusafstud will become famous soon enough
same here, the first week i had my car

since the civic's instrument gauge are on when the cars on, the street had street lights so i didn't know

within 30 seconds, i got pulled over, no ticket
Old 01-13-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
not for more than like 1 second. It is usually the first thing I do at night. My guages arent on if the car is on, you have to turn them on. I always yelled at my ex for not turning her lights on for like a minute at night. She never does it before she drives, and it bugs the hell out of me.
Old 01-13-2005
Stop f*cking with me.

Grumble is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by 2K1Civic17"Gabe
not for more than like 1 second. It is usually the first thing I do at night. My guages arent on if the car is on, you have to turn them on. I always yelled at my ex for not turning her lights on for like a minute at night. She never does it before she drives, and it bugs the hell out of me.
A nice fat ticket will fix her up.
Old 01-13-2005
7thgencivic's Official Bad Samaritan

HITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond reputeHITMAN has a reputation beyond repute
I always forget to turn them on when I'm coming out of a parking garage. It's like driving in the daytime in there!
Old 01-13-2005
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
do you guys have daytime running lights on your civics in the US? We have them here so technically your lights are always on...lol....but not really.
Old 01-13-2005
my civic has no boost

hotrodcivic2004 should not be trusted
i dont relaly forget, its a habbit. plus if i notice not being able to see the road in front of me ....then a light bulb will go off in my head. however i guess living or driving in the city is a little different cuz of all the street lights. suburbs are a little diff.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

BassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to allBassKadett is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Pharoh
do you guys have daytime running lights on your civics in the US? We have them here so technically your lights are always on...lol....but not really.
Nope. We don't have em on the Civic, and for that I'm glad.

I've driven a few times without the lights on, but someone always flashed me so I remembered.

There was that one time when my car decided that the low beams had worked for long enough and wouldn't turn them on. I was about 20 mins from home. Everyone was flashing me even though I had my blinkers on.
Old 01-13-2005
Bobaganoosh!

Pharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud ofPharoh has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BassKadett
Nope. We don't have em on the Civic, and for that I'm glad.
rofl....it's not that bad. if you don't like 'em you just yank the fuse out, no big deal.
Old 01-13-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
If it is a problem, the dealer can set the computer to have day time running headlights
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

tonyt915 can only hope to improve
yeah i forgot to put my lights on pulling out of the movie place and a cop pulled me over as soon as the front wheels hit the road but luckily he didnt give me a ticket for not havin the lights on and not being able to find non expired insurance form
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
after i got my car and i was still a noob......i forgot turn on my head lights couple time
Old 01-13-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Nope. There aren't a lot of lights in my neighborhood so when I roll out in the afternoon I have to turn on the lights to see stuff.
Old 01-13-2005
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
If not for my DRL's I would be driving with no lights up front like 90% of the time, ha ha.
Old 01-13-2005
Powered by Honda...

GuliziaN will become famous soon enoughGuliziaN will become famous soon enough
I was Downtown (Savannah) in a really well lit area on a major road (perhaps the biggest) and I forgot to turn them on. Was cruising with friends tho so one called me and immediately reminded me to turn them on. Was kind of embarassing.
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

grindsman is an unknown quantity at this point
haha yeh i had that same problem for a few months. luckily i never got pulled over for it but i did get the embarrasment of having people tell you that your lights are off. well anyways, the last time i forgot was about 2 months ago. i had a basketball game that night and i had left my wallet at home so no license. well i was leavin this mexican restaurant with some of my friends. i get to this stop light on the main road and i look behind me and see the blue lights. i didn't really know why so i pull over yada yada. well he came up and asked me why i had my lights off and i looked. what i did was flip it only half way so my parking lights were on. hahaha i was like NO!! well he asked for my license and i told that i didn't have. he asked for all my info and went back to his car. anyways, came back and it was all good and just got a warning. scared me though, plus he was a state trooper in the middle of my town, i thought that was strange. well ever since then i turn on my lights by habit. even during the day now, i can't help it. well thats my story...
Old 01-13-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by usafstud
same here, the first week i had my car

since the civic's instrument gauge are on when the cars on, the street had street lights so i didn't know

within 30 seconds, i got pulled over, no ticket
Your cluster is on when the car is on??? Wow thats weird. Shouldn't it be the other way around, your lights should be on when the car is on?
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

xgimmick will become famous soon enoughxgimmick will become famous soon enough
i have a problem with leaving the headlights on AFTER i turn off my car. i swear it used to beep if i left the lights on and the door was open, but it doesnt anymore
Old 01-13-2005
Registered!!

grindsman is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeh, i've gone to my car after school one time and it was completely dead . But thats why i keep jumper cables in my car.
Old 01-13-2005

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 02boostlessCIV
Your cluster is on when the car is on??? Wow thats weird. Shouldn't it be the other way around, your lights should be on when the car is on?
I think he meant that the guages are on whether or not the lights are on, unlike the older models where they kinda glow when the parking lights or headlights are on. There is no way of knowing wether or not the lights are on in the newer models if you can't see the beam.
Old 01-13-2005
Addicted To Boost

02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about02boostlessCIV has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest
I think he meant that the guages are on whether or not the lights are on, unlike the older models where they kinda glow when the parking lights or headlights are on. There is no way of knowing wether or not the lights are on in the newer models if you can't see the beam.
well then why would he get a ticket in a daytime?
Old 01-13-2005
Addicted To Boost

wait im confused everybody, does the cluster light up when the car is on??? cuz in my car it only lights up when i turn on my lights.
Old 01-13-2005

^ 01's-02's have a different gauge from the electro luminesent (sp?) one's on the 03's+ The one's on 01's-02's light up when you turn on the lights, the 03's+ are always on unless you use the dim switch in the guage.
Old 01-13-2005
Last time I had this much fun some furniture got broken!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
diskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to beholddiskreet is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CivicsRdBest
either way older or newer i wouldnt have that problem in my car. I have reverse glow gauges and wired the power to them from the dimmer wire on the stereo harness. so the only light when lights/parking lights are on. and that way no extra ugly switches/potentiometers hanging out in the car.
Old 01-14-2005
Cocky guys kick ass!

Cocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura aboutCocky has a spectacular aura about
i used to forget in well light areas.. until i got HID's.. kinda impossible to miss those.. so it's easy to tell if they're on or not now. lol.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
its better to forget to turn on your headlights then forgetting to turn them off...
Old 01-14-2005
just a troll who likes to laugh at YOU.

varmin will become famous soon enough
my solution to all this: i ALWAYS turn my lights on when i start the car, no matter what time of day.
Old 01-14-2005
Zoom zoom

jiggerachi will become famous soon enough
Around here all the 'thugs' like to drive around at night with their parking lights on, **** me off to no end. On any givin night you will see like 2 or 3 blinged out cadillacs with the orange lights & nothing else, Ive almose hit them on numerous occasions...but hey, I guess it ads to the tough thug look so I shouldnt say anything

In the miata the stock headlights suck ***, the only way I can tell is you can see the 'barn doors' up on the hood, & sinse im not used to flip up headlights, sometimes I forget for a few seconds...never been pulled over though.

I want to get some Hellas, but you have to buy the whole headlight asembly since stock is just a big bulb, theyre like 70 bucks.
Old 01-14-2005
Registered!!

EL-Sport is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Pharoh
DRLs are only required on new cars in Canada, no such law in the U.S.

Personally I don't like DRLs since they seem to lull people into not turning their full lights on when they should have them on (ie. in the rain, snow, fog, etc).

I've never driven without my headlights on, except for once in my old Chrsyler Daytona when the pop-up headlights didn't work. Although I seem to see at least one idiot every day driving without any lights on (its still dark when I go to work in the morning and when I come home from work as well).

Quick Reply: Ever Drive Without Headlights By Mistake?