General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

I drove the Subaru WRX STi

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UltimateWarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
I drove the Subaru WRX STi

Hey gang, been away for awhile but had to drop in to give my comments on the WRX STi monster machine!

I stopped by a Subaru dealer yesterday and asked to drive the WRX. I first drove the bare model WRX and was very pleased. I asked the sales rep if there was much difference in the STi version and he said not for the 6k-7k price difference. So I decided to see for myself and I asked to drive the STi. Man, was he full of sheet! There is NO comparison! The WRX, although an impressive machine... it's like driving a fast family car compared to the STi version! Wow, what a monster the STi really is. I felt like I was in a race car, which it really is to a certain point. If anyone is looking to by a WRX, please spend the 6k-7k more and get what you really want or you will not be happy, trust me. You must drive both versions to understand.

Anyway, I drove a black Sti with silver rims and it was sweet baby! I am soooo drooling for one of these I can't stand it but I also can't affort it right now. Doh!

See ya!
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

winnerpl is an unknown quantity at this point
It sucked to drive the civic afterwards rite?
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

jakejham should not be trustedjakejham should not be trusted
^^^LoLz
Old 01-08-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by winnerpl

YES!

I drove away and was frowning...

Old 01-08-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UltimateWarrior
YES!

I drove away and was frowning...

rofl.........own3d
Old 01-08-2005
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
hahaha... well, technically the WRX is a grocery getter because it's available as an auto too... The STi however, really, specially built race car for the street.
Old 01-08-2005
9K Redline Owns U

Spider883 will become famous soon enoughSpider883 will become famous soon enough
I raced my friends Sti and beat him.... but i do wish i had his shifter feel.. alot better then mine
Old 01-08-2005
Registered!!

Maurizio is an unknown quantity at this point
Spider, you said you beat an STI, was that in your 350z or your Si?
Old 01-09-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by Maurizio
Spider, you said you beat an STI, was that in your 350z or your Si?
Well, I'm just guessing here but I bet it was with the 350. I doubt any Si could beat an STi unless the Si was full of mods and the Sti was stock. Even in that case, good luck because 300hp is alot to deal with. Now, the 350 could if mods were in place and the driver really knew how to drive it. Also, it depends what kind of race you are talking about! I read something in Road & Track where an Sti beat a corvette in a race so it's hard to say.

Nice cars BTW Spider. You lucky dawg!

Old 01-09-2005
ASE Certified Master Tech (A1-A8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
skipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to allskipbarber is a name known to all
wrx transmissions are trash. i know the sti has a different gearing...so it might be better. When i drove the wrx i was not pleased with the transmission AT ALL. other than that..it really picks up when the turbo kicks in around 3 grand.
Old 01-09-2005
Banned

Ramones is an unknown quantity at this point
^^^^^Agreed^^^^^^^^

The base WRX shifter has the WORST shifter feel i have ever experienced. Turbo lag is horrible and once boost hit, the power was not what i expected. On the plus side the handling was nice. This car is all hype!!!

This may sound crazy but i would take my 7thgen over a WRX anyday.
Old 01-09-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
^^^Are you guys kidding me? WOW! I never thought the WRX shifter felt so bad. I'm glad I learned how to drive stick for the 1st time with this vic I got now. LOL, that was funny, ppl would mock me and **** on the streets when my car would turn off, but I was like Fvck Yall !! I must say that to have learned on my own without no one's assistance; I drive stick pretty good now. I'm proud of myself, but anyways...what I really wanted to say is that I was really considering the WRX b/4 I got teh vic, but couldn't really get a feel of it cause at the time I didn't know how to drive stick. I guess I should stop by to test them both. A friend of mine told me though that cars with LSD like the STi are very hard to handle and on slipery roads may be risky, is this true though? Man! I still see the Sti in my dreams...maybe someday.

Last edited by cubanmike26; 01-10-2005 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-09-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by Spider883
I raced my friends Sti and beat him.... but i do wish i had his shifter feel.. alot better then mine
....I don't know about that. But if you say so...
Old 01-09-2005

Titleist71 can only hope to improve
Originally Posted by cubanmike26
. A friend of mine told me though that cars with LSD like the STi are very hard to handle and on slipery roads may be risky, is this true though?
Not really. The STi comes with 3 diffs. You put the DCCD on lock when your in snow and it splits the power 50/50. Very easy to handle.
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

mexinaction will become famous soon enoughmexinaction will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by winnerpl
i had the same feeling when i drove the RSX Type S

damn civic!

oh well
Old 01-09-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by mexinaction
i had the same feeling when i drove the RSX Type S

damn civic!

oh well

I know... Grrrrrrrrrrrrr I want to trade mine in soooo bad but have to live with it because of the high miles and money I still owe. I may even have to drive it for a while after it's finally paid off just to recoop some cash before I buy something else. This damn civic was a waste of money and aggravation. Sorry to trash the civic for those who love theirs but mine is a piece of junk, what can I say...

Old 01-09-2005

cubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of lightcubanmike26 is a glorious beacon of light
This damn civic was a waste of money and aggravation. Sorry to trash the civic for those who love theirs but mine is a piece of junk, what can I say...
I wouldn't put like that either really...I mean I don't know about yours, but you do a put of exterior upgrades to the VIC and it looks really nice...after all we know our cars are not really that fast but hey...when it comes to looks, it turns heads. Once it's got some stuff on, it leaves a lot of cars behind and IMO, even the STi...not forgeting about gas mileage, & reliability...

I give a big 10 to our Civics
Old 01-09-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Ramones

This may sound crazy but i would take my 7thgen over a WRX anyday.

SO would I
Old 01-09-2005
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
I would rather buy and old civic hatch and swap an h22 in it, boost it, upgrade the brakes, upgrade the suspension, and put some 15" rotas on it. That thing would own. And i would spend 1/3 the cost.
Old 01-10-2005
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
I tested an 05 black with gold wheels...they look nice but throwing it around in the corner I wasnt too impressed with it compared to the Evolution.
Old 01-10-2005
Registered!!

R3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to allR3DL1N3 is a name known to all
id kill for an sti
Old 01-10-2005
Registered!!

Curiouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really niceCuriouz_G is just really nice
evo's i think handles better around turns and has a higher 0-100. sti's hot and all but i still think evo's own sti's
Old 01-11-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

I am not talking about looks, I am talking about quality and reliability. I just think Honda's are getting worse and that's a shame. I have since learned that our transmissions are being farmed out and build in America. Go figure. No wonder they are suffering. The Honda is not a Jap car any longer and it shows. As soon as you start letting just anyone build certain parts for the car it's bound to develop problems.

I'm glad you like your car, I envy that.

Take care.
Old 01-11-2005
Pimp My Ride!! Please!

Originally Posted by gearbox
SO would I

You are serious Gear? Wow! That does surprise me. I remember you use to be a tad bitter about your car and your upgrades in the past. I guess you fell back in love eh?

Old 01-11-2005
I went to prison a boy and came out a man with a sore ass!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
QBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of lightQBoi is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by NeoMagus
I tested an 05 black with gold wheels...they look nice but throwing it around in the corner I wasnt too impressed with it compared to the Evolution.

Evo 7 and 8 has I think electronic steering. I saw it on a 1hr long video depicting the differences between the impreza and evo. Good watch.
Old 01-11-2005
Registered!!

NeoMagus is an unknown quantity at this point
its contributed to the Evolution having a quicker steering ratio (13.0:1) compared to the STi (15.2:1)
Old 01-11-2005

I am not talking about looks, I am talking about quality and reliability.

I'm glad you like your car, I envy that.

Take care.
Don't get me wrong, I do like Sti 's too. It was originally the car I wanted but at the moment was too expensive.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nice&Clean.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	45148   Click image for larger version

Name:	NiceRear.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	45149  
Old 01-11-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My civic is at a near perfect state now, and I'm the kind of person who would take a modded car over stock. An sti is nice for sure, but my civic has mods that are completely unique and just the way I want. Getting in a stock car doesn't feel right. Just imo, maybe I've spent too much time on the vic to want anything else.
Old 01-12-2005
My penis is just like all my posts, very very short

zachgeyer has a spectacular aura aboutzachgeyer has a spectacular aura about
**** yea