General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

is this bad for my auto?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004
lkm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
Arrow is this bad for my auto?

wee! my car is faster than the same model with mods like exhaust

okay, now that i have that outta the way, i was thinking about this new way of lauching which i tried tonight at the get2gether. I pull up with this guy with the exact same kinda car i have except he has exhaust and we launch. I get a jump off the line and halfway down i'm about a car length a ahead b4 he starts to close in{slowly very slowly}. Now, this launching technique has me worrying is it bad for my auto? I've used it to beat a lx coupe auto, lx sedan auto, and get a jump on miata until he finnally stopped messing around and pwned me.

the way i'm launching isn't nuetral dropping but starting off in d3 at the line. at the line, left foot on brake, right foot on accellerator pushing it down softly. hands go up, i raise rpm to about 2k, once they drop, i let go of the brake and floor it in d3. then when its about to redline{500-1k rpm away} i shift into second by moving it down to 2, almost redline then to d3 again. Will this kill my tranny, axles, or anything of the sort except my brakes.

edit forgot to mention, that the lx sedan i raced also has his little launching pattern that is really good if he can get in the "zone". the coupe i raced i beat by like two car lengths and it wasn' even funny after the thirds race.

Last edited by lkm; 12-15-2004 at 01:54 AM.
Old 12-15-2004
I like you! do you like me?

Farage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lkm
at the line, right foot on brake, left foot on accellerator pushing it down softly.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

VietScouty is an unknown quantity at this point
Might be bad for your auto tranny. Why didn't you start off at D2 then work your way up? It doesn't seem to make any sense to start off at D3 and then downshift to D2, all thats gonna do is to make your engine work harder.
Old 12-15-2004
lkm

lkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trustedlkm should not be trusted
D3 starts in first gear.
2 starts in second gear. big difference unless i have NAWZ.
Old 12-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
You got your footing wrong. Anyways, its called power braking if im not mistaken and all it does is messes with your torque convertor if you rev it to high...like past 2 grand.
Old 12-15-2004
lkm

its power braking even if i'm using it to build my revs off the line! about revving over 2k, its damn near impossible cause then it starts to make this wierd noise like the brakes or something is straining. but just under 2k, once i let go of the brake, it goes to 3k in a flash and then it start accelerating. i really need to find a manual 7th gen in DFW w/o mods to race against.

edit: about the footing, lol, its late but i know i have to use both feet to get it right and timing is everything.
Old 12-15-2004
Premium Member

jeffsta17 is an unknown quantity at this point
I used to slam it down into 2 when i was racing cuz you get a pretty big lurch outta the car, then I would redline and shift back to D. Its probably shortening the life of your tranny significantly. Wont notice it for a while unless you do it daily though.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
its called a break torque. it does wear out the tranny but not if u dont do it too often. then onto ur shifting from d3->2... umm... dont, theres no point to it. some ppl think d3 is faster then d4 though, im not sure about it but there does seem to be a difference, so id just recommend leaving it in d3 the entire time.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
you're just gonna break your transmission by break torquing. the trannys on civics are known to be weak, especially on an auto. on a stock torque converter you're limited to rev to only 2k rpm when brake torquing, and is possible to rev higher if you get a new "racing" torque converter.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

LiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura aboutLiKEaFeRiO has a spectacular aura about
I got my Civic brand new when I was 16.
I mention age so you know the type of stupid crap a 16 year old tries to attempt.
I have an auto also.

I've brake torqued it.
I've dropped it to D3 on the highway many times.
I've hit the speed limiter numerous times.
I've done jack rabbit starts and floored it constantly.

I've changed my oil every 3000 miles.
I've changed my transmission oil about every 10,000 miles.
I've done everything I needed to keep the car in up shape.

The result?
A brand new transmission at 45,000miles.

The lesson learned?
Invest in a transmission cooler and/or beef up the transmission if you are the type who likes to beat on the transmission because they aren't meant for "race" type abuse.
Don't race in an economy car until it's prepared to take the beating.

Last edited by LiKEaFeRiO; 12-15-2004 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

sick01civic is an unknown quantity at this point
[B]i say u just get a 5spd
Old 12-15-2004
The Wierdest and Funniest Mofo 7th Gen Has Ever Seen As Voted

_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of_Viper_ has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LiKEaFeRiO
I got my Civic brand new when I was 16.
I mention age so you know the type of stupid crap a 16 year old tries to attempt.
I have an auto also.

I've brake torqued it.
I've dropped it to D3 on the highway many times.
I've hit the speed limiter numerous times.
I've done jack rabbit starts and floored it constantly.

I've changed my oil every 3000 miles.
I've changed my transmission oil about every 10,000 miles.
I've done everything I needed to keep the car in up shape.

The result?
A brand new transmission at 45,000miles.

The lesson learned?
Invest in a transmission cooler and/or beef up the transmission if you are the type who likes to beat on the transmission because they aren't meant for "race" type abuse.
Don't race in an economy car until it's prepared to take the beating.
Amen this is a damn good response if you ask me..Ive done the break torque launches also and yes you definatly take off the line faster but I knew the tranny was taking a beating..

Thanks Likeaferio
Old 12-15-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. Bye bye torque converter and tranny. Even in D4, the car will nearly redline every gear if you floor it. Mine does anyway. Don't drive it like a manual.
Old 12-15-2004
master of the culinary martial arts

masarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of lightmasarak is a glorious beacon of light
While you're saving up for a new transmission, read this if you haven't already.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

kornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the roughkornsined is a jewel in the rough
haha we drive civics!! when we attempt to drive them fast they crap out. build your car to be fast with a turbo(internals too) or swap or even better get a new car that was meant to go fast. otherwise you'll spend ridiculous amounts on stupid repairs. all that to still not go fast = no worth it. i <3 my econobox.
Old 12-15-2004
lkm

already read the racing law. yesterday, i was praticing my launches up to sixty after everything died out. second - fourth time{can't remmember} i saw a car comming up from far so i went to far right lane and continued launching. guess who it was the, dallas police in an old crown vic. he was like 50ft behind me when i launched. then i was launching again he passed me on the far left lane and slowed down, i was like ****. oh well, since i was heading back to the spot, he parked right off the place where the racing cars end hoping to pop some1 cuz a few were still there. seriously, i don't think he woulda pulled me over since it was like freezing outside and thats ice age in TX
Old 12-15-2004
Mr. Clean

Changu-San can only hope to improve
ive never driven an auto before...
Old 12-15-2004
Ultimate Member

Cjddrum1 has a spectacular aura aboutCjddrum1 has a spectacular aura aboutCjddrum1 has a spectacular aura about
not sure i wouldnt do it too much but ill try it if i ever need too....
Old 12-15-2004
Banned

bgoetz is an unknown quantity at this point
ok let me get this correct:
What your car does under a normal hold the brake rev to 2K pop the brake slam the gas launch in d3---- The car is in 1st goes to about redline shifts to 2nd goes to about redline shifts to 3rd it will never shift to 4th because you are in d3 (this is the only difference from d3 to d4).
your hold the brake rev to 2k pop the brake slam the gas smack the auto shifter around launch from d3----The car is in 1st goes to 500rpms pre-redline you shift to 2nd goes to about redline you shift to 3rd it will never shift to 4th because you are in d3 (this is the only difference from d3 to d4).

hope it makes sense that you are not doing d!ck. Infact I would say that by shifting to second before your car normally would you are slowing yourself down because if you let it go to redline when it shifted into 2nd it would be at higher rpms.

Last edited by bgoetz; 12-15-2004 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

JDMTUNED01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by masarak
While you're saving up for a new transmission, read this if you haven't already.
OMG some one had to bring the "street racing isnt cool guys " talk thanks alot mommy would you whipe my *** while your at it
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

jakejham should not be trustedjakejham should not be trusted
^^^LoLz fo sho
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

MindLeSs is an unknown quantity at this point
don't do it..busted my tranny a year ago for trying to race a car thats not meant to be raced unless u do some kinda swap or turbo...not worth it....plus mine wasn't covered by warranty and Honda charged me 3600...for tranny, new tires, and a side mirror..
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

aznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really niceaznsensation18 is just really nice
automatic drag racing...mmm...not good....
Old 12-15-2004
TAQUITOS!!!!

gh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the roughgh0st is a jewel in the rough
how about you just do everything you're doing in d2...then just shift it to d3 when you redline second...all d3 does is keep your transmission from going into 4th if i'm not mistaken....so if it starts out in 1 anyway why bother even starting in 3rd then throwing it down into 2nd
Old 12-15-2004
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
the only timer i drop it into 2nd is if i'm on the freeway and going between 60-70 mph cuz it wont drop it on its own, but if i drop it, then it'll put it in second and i can take it to 78 mph before i have to shift
Old 12-15-2004
lkm

bgoetz, i knew d3 would shift into second at close to redline but then for some reason, the revs jump like pretty much anyother time im driving and the tranny upshifts. thats why i do that shifting crap. anywayz, it makes me more invovled and practicing for a manual
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
best way to race a N/A auto civic is to leave it at home

Last edited by HustleLikeM0FO; 12-15-2004 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
^hahahahha, nice one.
Old 12-15-2004
Registered!!

MindLeSs is an unknown quantity at this point
keeping using that 'shifting' technique on your auto, you might be able to get that manual sooner than you think..
Old 12-15-2004
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Best way to race a civic is leave it at home

Quick Reply: is this bad for my auto?