General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Torn Axle CV Boot

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004
www.ImportFactor.Com

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Torn Axle CV Boot

ok so my axle boots are torn, nevermind why. basically when i was installing my struts i had problems getting one of my axle's back in the car so i had to call a mechanic to come and put them back in. well i guess he just cut the boot and put them back in from that side and never repaired the damages...bah

so anyways times come to sell the car and i want to get these fixed so i can geta clean bill of health when the car gets checked out by buyers mechanics.

can i replace just the cv boots or do i need to get the whole axle replaced? the boot itself is still on there just cut open so theres little or no greese left in it.

how much will this cost me and where can i get new cv boots and greese? is this a DIY job or should i send the car to a shop and get it done? thanks for all your help!
Old 09-25-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jeff is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes you can replace just the cv boots. But if alot of dirt has gotten into the joints i would recomened replacing the axle if its making noises. Boots are around 27.00 a piece through honda. Inboard or out board. If you have never done them before you need a boot band tool to tighten the bands holding the boots in place. There not to hard to do, just takes time and alot of patients. If you have never done it, i recommend taking it in to have them replaced.

Last edited by Jeff; 09-25-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-25-2004
Registered!!

Treyplay8 is an unknown quantity at this point
You do not have taken your axle out to replace your struts.
Old 09-25-2004
Registered!!

Treyplay8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Also why did he cut your boots. I would have made his @#! pay for it. I ran into alot of axle problems on my vic believe me. My car sat on blocks waiting to get fixed for about a month. I was waiting on parts I live in Germany though. Always remember no matter what you do to your vehicle. Take your time and do it right the first time. I learned from my mistakes.