General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Is Honda lost to Rice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
importuner86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is Honda lost to Rice?

The way I see it Honda was a step ahead of the rest in the early 90's with vtec - and compared to others they were pretty quick (although still fwd) but today although honda still makes great cars people just rice them up (i kinda include myself in this - although i have recognized my error with my car even though i love it) and I am angry all i see on other forums is -honda sucks- or a nissan emblem f**kin a honda emblem. and sites are full of jokes about honda's - mainly civics nissan=nismo honda=homo. what really set me off here was a song i heard about vtech but it's funny because all car companies have their own valve timing thing now. people see any honda and they think it is rice (nsx excluded).

so I think rice has taken over honda, i think it will spread to toyota soon with scion and the celica. then perhaps mitsubishi the evo 8 has rice taillights then on to nissan.

anyways this is what i think you can disagree...im about to leave the honda family anyways possibly to move on to subaru or nissan.
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

its okay for anyone to comment on this...
Old 08-07-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That's the way it is. 9/10 of all modded civics are riced out in some way. I see it all the time and that's the image people get from looking around. I'm happy to say that my car doesn't have any aftermarket rice on it. Everything is OEM except for vafc for air/fuel tuning. There are people that still like the clean look and actually get in and do unique mods that look good.
Old 08-07-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
Who cares what other people think. And what ******** ever came up with that term anyway? If a car has appearence mods and doesnt look good its ugly. Rice is over used. Since day one we're told to be individuals and when someone dies something different then they're rice. As far as Im conserned rice will allways be something you cook on a stove.

Last edited by redvtec04; 08-07-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

izmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really niceizmaxx is just really nice
Yeah rice is definitely overused...you shouldn't think too much about what others say, be happy with what you got...or just move on to something else..
Old 08-07-2004
Registered!!

It just really bugs me how people rag on hondas all the time but they are one of the best brands the only thing better is the kia rio
Old 08-07-2004
VTEC MASTER

redvtec04 should not be trustedredvtec04 should not be trusted
BTW, ever see a modded Sentra? Wanna puke? One of them should ban the entire company from producing cars. So Nissan isnt exemot.
Old 08-08-2004
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
No one really is. I have seen corvette's that make me want to cry because thier RICED out.
RICED out in my term means overly modded with tacky nonfunctional stuff.
thats like putting a giant H on your arm rest.
I saw a corvette violated by this and cheap silver spray paint used on the dash...
Old 08-08-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
Look, bottom line is, Honda's are popular among young ppl, and what do young ppl like to do? Mod for whatever reason. SOme ppl mod in a particular way that ppl say is rice. Now, here in NYC, there are a lot of "ricer" Accords and CIvics, but there are a bunch of "riced" Sentra's, Saturns, Corollas, Mustangs, Explorers, Expeditions, but whatever.... now adays, a lot of cars are done one way or another.
Old 08-08-2004
Banned

DodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of lightDodgeNeonSRT-4 is a glorious beacon of light
uhoh, the word rice was used, this post is getting closed. Err, a moderator posted here so maybe it's safe.

The problem is not with the car, it's the drivers/modifiers. There are two kinds of Honda ricers: the kids who get their hand-me-down AT Civic from their mom and want a "racecar" so they are impatient and do all crappy-quality DIY home depot intakes, etc. and spend all their piggybank after watching the fast and the furious. The other kinds of Honda ricers are the guys who have boatloads of money and want the Honda image after seeing the fast and the furious...they put tons of money into the looks of the car but not of the image

then you have guys who do visuals but do them nicely

then you have guys who do some visual, some performance

then you have mostly performance, a little visual

then you have the sleepers, in my opinion the best of them all. my civic - you wouldn't know anything about...from the outside, if you looked it over with a microscope you would notice the dual exhaust, rims and tires, rear disks, larger, cross drilled and slotted rotors front and back. looking through the window you would not see the cleverly hidden gauges, boost controller, turbo timer, or NOS purge and activation switch unless I was in the car and getting ready to drive with "spirit" you would see the short throw and the A/F, EGT, and boost/vac pressure gauges on the a-pillar...at that point, if you know cars and hondas in specific, those two mods make you crap your pants

I love the look on people's faces when a basically stock looking civic spanks them. or better yet when my beat up plymouth acclaim bends them over...

on the topic of rice, it's just an adjective...if you are going to be hurt by what people said you better crawl back into your bubble because the world is mean...there are clear definitions on what is and what is not rice, and it is a fairly broad topic...although many people overuse the word for anything that they don't like...but like I said if you're hurt by what people say to you well then you need to learn the ways of the world

when discussing visual mods, keep in mind the saying "to each his own." you may, however, feel free to roll your eyes in the back of your head because some moron thinks a 12" rear wing, mismatched color, improperly installed, erector set double decker looks good...feel free to call it rice, but just keep in mind that it's his money and not yours
Old 08-08-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
take a trip to japan and see the true hondas over their. thats how its really done.

rice is an over used term that has no true meaning.
it is true how people make their hondas so ugly, but theirs a certain group called the "ricers/posers/imposters/etc" compared to "honda owner". its not only honda, keep in mind i seen nissans/toyotas/chevys/fords/buicks/mitsubishi/etc all "riced" out as much as any other car. theirs really no reason to name call honda when your not the one.

its just like critism* in car terms. the liquor store owner is assuming the black man will steal items in his store because he saw a black man on TV do the same thing.
guess what, not true. the black man pulls out a stash of 20's and leaves a tip for the liquor he bought.

and you my friend, seem easily offended. if 2 or 3 people call you a ricer because you own a honda, are you really gonna sell it and get an nissan/toyota? cuz if you do, you must really care what everyone thinks about you. its like you want to seem popular or keep your reputation to the best.

lets say you bought a nissan sentra ser v-spec. and at the stoplight, this honda civic pulls up with an vtec sticker on the side, loud exhaust, and nice rims. you both race, he owns you by 3 car lengths... how would it feel?

Last edited by jttegx; 08-08-2004 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

umm. not many people make fun of my car. I just kinda want a turbo mr2.
Old 08-08-2004
OMNES AD UNUM

jttegx has a spectacular aura aboutjttegx has a spectacular aura about
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

slvrcivic will become famous soon enoughslvrcivic will become famous soon enough
I think it's all in how you do it. If you just have the urge to spend money on your car in any way possible.... it might end up like rice. That is what I think. I actually came across a late 90s honda with count them "3"... yes THREE spoilers. Basically STACKED on top of one another.

Is it needed? It was so slammed, graphics from front to back, neons all over it, muffler so loud you could hear it from the next zip code, ugly body kit, and painted some foul loud color.

I got a glimpse of his interrior and it just screamed $$$$$. I don't think a single thing was stock. It just looked so over the top. It didn't look good at all. He had like 45 video screens, and enough lights- strobes- and neons to blind an airplane inside.

If you really want to spend money that way on your car.... do it wisely. Don't just buy crap to have it. To me....his car was rice.
Old 08-08-2004
Registered!!

cvayala is an unknown quantity at this point
Just about every comment here I believe to be a good one. The way I see it, "rice" is the term applied to cars that are modded to look fast, and aren't. My other car is a MB SLK, and I've seen some of those "riced" out as well.

Honda is not any more lost to "rice" than any other company that makes inexpensive cars.
Old 08-09-2004
Registered!!

gnat1000 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah "rice" is definitely overused today. But it's just too broad a term. Everyone has their own opinion of what looks good and what doesn't. I have never posted pics of my car on here before but I know when I do that some people will like it and some wont and honestly I could care less. I just get a lot of satisfaction by working on my car and I know everyone on here is the same way. It's all about what you like and what you think looks good. Sure I love it when girls do a 360 when I ride by but I'm really just fixing my car up the way I want it to look. I really could not imagine someone fixing up their car just to try and impress other people. But I know there are some people like that.