General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SatinSilver03 is an unknown quantity at this point
loss of power

Recently i have noticed that my car just doesnt have the same power that it did. I would say that i noticed this about a week ago. Seems to have lost some torque. It doesnt accelerate as fast any more and the other night on the way home i had trouble getting it up to 110, and a year ago i got 123 without any problem. My car has almost 18000 miles on it, with 6000 of those since august. I broke it in good and dont drive hard, so i dont think there is anything wrong with the engine itself. Any ideas?
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Jo_Boo is an unknown quantity at this point
When was the last time you changed or cleaned your air filter?
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
My car had BIG problems at 24k miles. I've been finding all kinds of stuff. Here's how to make your car run better.

--tighten throttle cable to factory spec
--use a fuel system cleaner like greased lightning (techron doesn't work)
--clean the throttle body and butterfly valve with TB cleaner
--Take off your header and try to scrape out the massive carbon buildup
--Change spark plugs (NGK iridium is pretty good)
--Clean/replace air filter
--change tranny fluid (if automatic)
--upgrade the factory ground wires with new 4 gauge, audio quality wire
--get an HVS (hyper voltage system to hook to your battery

You will notice a difference for sure after doing these things. Gas mpg will likely increase as well.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Thats what i have been thinking that it is. I just havent had the time to take my bumper cover off to check it out. The filter is the one that came with my intake and has been on for over a year and i havent cleaned or replaced it.

I also put some injector cleaner in when i filled up last week in case something was being restricted or plugged.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

EM2Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
My car is still good after 64000 miles, I just clean air-filter(K&N), clean the TB with TB cleaner, changed spark plug every 35000miles, changed MT tranny fulid every 50000, use some fuel injector cleaner(dunno if it helps, cos I can't feel anything)

Always run 91 octune gas, I use Mobil 1 oil and Mobil gas......all the time!

And just beat the mother ****** up, I rev the car all the time, everyday I got aboove 6000rpm at least 5 times...........HAHA, that will prevent carbon build up by blowing them away!!!
u can't run the engine arround 3000rpm everyday, u got to give it some exercise.........it makes the car more healthy!

Last edited by EM2Civic; 06-08-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 06-08-2004
The Evil Genius

Quijano187 is on a distinguished road
its your spark plugs.. i felt like you for a while .. i got my denso this weekend.. i put them in and clean my air fliter... MY car is back to life.. just check your plugs? I bet u its that..
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by SatinSilver03
It doesnt accelerate as fast any more and the other night on the way home i had trouble getting it up to 110, and a year ago i got 123 without any problem. My car has almost 18000 miles on it, with 6000 of those since august. I broke it in good and dont drive hard, so i dont think there is anything wrong with the engine itself. Any ideas?
you dont push youre car hard? youre trying to take it up to 123mph! any normal civic will take awhile to get up to that speed. haha anyways, maybe theres a reformulation of fuel in your area. or did you start using a different gas brand. some ppl claimed in the pass they couldnt use certain brands of gas. so try something new
Old 06-08-2004
Euro-Spec

tripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nicetripledoublegs is just really nice
remember that you live in texas. The heat might cause it too.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
zen_master is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by gearbox
--use a fuel system cleaner like greased lightning (techron doesn't work)
Was I the one who told you to use Chevron Techron, gearbox?

actually...I got no problem using it, right? Now, my friend got a huge problem with his car after using Chevron Techron...

His car is a 1992 BMW 318i with 177K miles on it....now, he just bought that car...and few days later, he put that techron into his tank..

strangely, his car was dead the next two days...WTF?

the mechanic told us that the fuel pump was dead.....WTF?

damn.........................is it because of Techron (inside a high mileage car)??
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
My car never loses power. Its got a ton of Point A To Point B power left.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

WEell im not saying that it never gets above 6000 RPMs, just not all the time. And i dont really think that getting it up to 123 once over a year ago and 110 the other night is really driving it hard. I could be like my friend who after 10000 miles in his civic had his lifters start rattling because he didnt break it in right and drives the hell out of it. I have fun with it sometimes, but i respect the fact that it is my transportation and not a race car, adn that i will be driving it for quite a few more years. But thanks everyone.
Old 06-08-2004
The Evil Genius

do me a favor check ur plugs?
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a great tune-up check list gearbox! I will be doing all of that soon as I have also noticed a peformance loss!

I'm thinking spark plugs and air filter will be most of the cause.
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
At how many miles would be a good idea to change the coils? I'm getting close to 100K and would like to do a tune up soon.
Old 06-08-2004
The Evil Genius

good question?
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
Originally Posted by SatinSilver03
Thats what i have been thinking that it is. I just havent had the time to take my bumper cover off to check it out. The filter is the one that came with my intake and has been on for over a year and i havent cleaned or replaced it.

I also put some injector cleaner in when i filled up last week in case something was being restricted or plugged.
did any one even see this???
it has been over a year since you cleaned your air filter??
dude, buy a K and N filter recharge kit and clean that filthy thing. I would almost bet that is your problem.
You should clean that thing at least every other oil change depending on your conditions.
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Techron does NOT work at all. We did something nobody would ever do--open up the engine and actually look for deposits. There was so much carbon on everything! I used to use techron with every oil change. What a waste. Now I'm using greased lightning fuel cleaner once a year. Big difference.I drove the car hard all the time on my last tank and got 25mpg. With normal driving before, I would get 22mpg.
Old 06-08-2004

sw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the rough
^so driving it harder you actually got better gas mileage?..
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

EManEX will become famous soon enoughEManEX will become famous soon enough
^ With the greased lightning fuel cleaner.
Old 06-08-2004

sw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by EM2Civic
My car is still good after 64000 miles, I just clean air-filter(K&N), clean the TB with TB cleaner, changed spark plug every 35000miles, changed MT tranny fulid every 50000, use some fuel injector cleaner(dunno if it helps, cos I can't feel anything)

Always run 91 octune gas, I use Mobil 1 oil and Mobil gas......all the time!

And just beat the mother ****** up, I rev the car all the time, everyday I got aboove 6000rpm at least 5 times...........HAHA, that will prevent carbon build up by blowing them away!!!
u can't run the engine arround 3000rpm everyday, u got to give it some exercise.........it makes the car more healthy!
i second this...i drive mine like a bat outta hell every day and mine purrs like it just rolled off the showroom floor! ofcourse it gets the best gas, oil, etc...
Old 06-08-2004
Prowlin' with a Purpose

WannaBFast will become famous soon enoughWannaBFast will become famous soon enough
did you change your oil?
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

one for the kid is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by djmota
did any one even see this???
it has been over a year since you cleaned your air filter??
dude, buy a K and N filter recharge kit and clean that filthy thing. I would almost bet that is your problem.
You should clean that thing at least every other oil change depending on your conditions.
i bet that's part of the problem but why then does k&n recommend a cleaning only once every 50,000 miles??
Old 06-08-2004
Premium Member

I usually have to clean the filter before 10k miles. Remember that open air filters get dirty much faster than the OEM design.

Driving the car hard every once in a while is good to keep the plugs going strong. City driving is bad, and you need to mix it up with some highway. This next tank of gas I'm gonna try and drive normal to see just how much improved.
Old 06-08-2004
Registered!!

I know the filter is more than likely filthy, but as i said in the first post, ive only driven 6000 miles in the past 10 months, so thats why i still have the filter that came with my intake on the car. When i only drive it once every couple of weeks cuz im at college, a new air filter is the last thing thats on my mind.