General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

engine BRAKE(downshifting): bad for ur engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004
Why is my vagina bleeding?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nindoo has a spectacular aura aboutnindoo has a spectacular aura about
I found this article informational

http://www.tcsracing.org/doubledeclutching.htm
Old 05-09-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
^^^ The heel to toe method #2 is good in our cars, and also in my protege. Keep in mind though, that most late model cars don't require "double clutching/ de clutching" mainly because newer models have more advanced synchros and you shouldn't have a problem with them wearing.
Old 05-10-2004
Registered!!

mangoblaster is an unknown quantity at this point
you kinda have to look at it this way too! Automatic cars downshift when you are breaking and i'm pretty sure that doesn't harm your engine. If you are really worried, pump the gas everytime u downshift. If you know your car well enough u should be able to match the engine speed when u downshift.
Old 05-10-2004

nookiemonster why I double de-clutch I feel the the stick shift does not resist the shift, I was able to shift to nrtral going 35 km per hours, rev high and switch to first.
Old 05-10-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
True it does feel smoother, but in the end it's pretty redundant and unnecessary with late model cars synchros.
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

Halfloaf is an unknown quantity at this point
I would say that heavy engine braking is going to be more of an issue with engine mounts in the long term.
Just like accellerating hard a lot, our engine mounts turn to mush pretty quickly.
I am in the process of making brackets to fit an engine damper which will help engine braking/breaking as well as wheel hop when accellerating.
If that doesnt keep the engine under control I'm gonna silicon the engine mounts.
Old 05-22-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

In all honesty, if you downshift correctly, by rev matching...there should be absolute no wear on any parts. It's like Zzyzx said...it should be "heard not felt."
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Well neither is really bad. But using the brakes only shortens thier life. Using the engine, trannsmission, and clutch to slow the car down shortens their life. So use a 2000 part or a 50 dollar part.

In reality, I think judicious use of downshifting probably is not too bad, just be careful not to overrev the engine. The engine does have a rev limiter, but it will do nothing to prevent you from downshifting too much and over reving the motor, thus blowing it up.
Old 05-22-2004
Registered!!

samscivic is an unknown quantity at this point
pft i down shift...engine break all the time and she still runs like gold!
Old 05-22-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

I'd be very entertained to see someone blow up their engine from downshifting and engine braking. It's the proper way to drive a car. I'm pretty sure I'd save my engine life if I put the damn thing in neutral and rolled down hills every time I came up to one, but does it make any sense?

Drive properly, and the car will last. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-03-2004

When down shifting is it better to double declutch or just put the clutch in rev match and shift down? Nookie Monster you mentioned that in newer cars we don't need to worry about double declutching.

What do you guys think of shuffle steering?
Old 06-03-2004
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Modern Syncros are much more cabible then the old designes making Double Decluthing un-nessisary. you can still do it and you will make your transmission last a little bit longer, but its really not nessisary.
Old 06-03-2004

Zzyzx how are you suppose to take a turn? I know anyone can turn a car, but what is the proper way to take a turn?
Old 06-03-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Depends greatly on the turn.... as in the faster the turn the later the apex. But to keep things simple, Late Apex EVERY THING. or are you talking about When do you shift durring a turn? or what?
Old 06-03-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

Hmmm I've always downshifted as I enter the corner, but I haven't really had pro training on it either...but I do notice that when I heel to toe downshift entering the corner, I keep the car in the powerband for a better exit..
Old 06-03-2004
Autocross Junky

^ officially you shoud Down shift just about at the apex of the corner, where you are coming off the brakes and ready for acceleration. This is assuming of course that you are trailbraking. If not trailbraking, I ushually down shift just about when I'm finishing with my braking and entering the corner.

Also, you must revmatch well enough to not upset the car right before or Durrnig the turn...

Last edited by Zzyzx; 06-03-2004 at 03:37 PM.
Old 06-03-2004

how should you take the turn, what position should your car be in? when do you start to straighten the wheels and stuff? Where on the track does my car need to me to be at the beginning of the turn and in the turn?
Old 06-03-2004
Autocross Junky

Start wide, Hit the apex (as late as possible) and the accleerate back out and go wide... just don't try to accleerate to hard or you'll cause understeer.

If you want to learn Corner theroy one book I highly recomend is Secrets of Solo Racing.
Old 06-03-2004

Originally Posted by Zzyzx
Start wide, Hit the apex (as late as possible) and the accleerate back out and go wide... just don't try to accleerate to hard or you'll cause understeer.

If you want to learn Corner theroy one book I highly recomend is Secrets of Solo Racing.

Thanks Zzyzx.

From the Apex on you should be straighting your wheels? is that why you end up going wide after the Apex?
Old 06-03-2004
Autocross Junky

In a perfect world in a perfect turn the apex should be the place where the wheels are turned the most, after that you start straighting out the wheel and applying power (Dont floor it, ease in on the gas as you straighten the wheel).
Old 06-04-2004

Zzyzx, have you heard of shuffle steering? Is it used in Autocross?
Old 06-04-2004
Autocross Junky

Theres about 50 different ways to use the wheel... Some Say shouffle steering is the best. I don't like it, but some times I do it any way. it makes the turn Jerky and thats not what you want in autocross (Smoothness is the key) also i've been scolded by one of our "pro" drivers about using it... that book I reccomended covers two ways of using the steering wheel, try both and see which one feels the best and works the best for you.
Old 07-21-2004

I read this thread when I was new to this forum, and posted some quick comments. Know that I've read the posts and went out and drove, and I'm caught in the same dilema as Zen Master was.

I understand that if I want to start going faster I can rev match and downshift to get more power. So basically all that has changed if the engine sound, and you don't feel the downshift.

Know when I want to slow down my car is it bad to rev match drop to a lower gear, since this allows me to slow the car down easier, when I'm breaking. Should I be avoiding this and just apply the brakes and leave it in the higher gear. I'm asking from a wear and tear point of view on the clutch.

When switching from first gear to second gear, if I try and switch quick and just let the clutch pop up, I feel the gear change like something has just caught hard. switching from 2 to 3 quickly doesn't do that, neither do the other higher gears. Is it better to switch from 1 to 2 and release the clutch pedal slower. Does switching the gears fast and letting the clutch pedal pop up cause more wear and tear on the clutch than letting the pedal up smoothly.

Also sometimes If I allow the rev's drop too quickly just after I was acelerating I feel a slip.

Last edited by nindoo; 07-21-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-21-2004

bump
Old 07-21-2004
I just burnt my tongue

ragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really niceragingSPAM is just really nice
engine breaking is not bad for your car...i do it all the time to slow me down if im going fast...only bad part is that it wastes more gas than not doing it
Old 07-22-2004

bump
Old 09-25-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by NoFriends
I heel-toe on all my downshifts if im braking. Once i get to 2500 or so in 2nd, ill just put it into neutral and brake the rest of the way.
I would like to see a vid of you heel-toe shiftin

Anyway...at every stop or slowing down i always downshift
Old 09-25-2004
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nindoo
I found this article informational

http://www.tcsracing.org/doubledeclutching.htm
Did you read the first sentence?

and i dont know why they call it double De-clutching

Last edited by cdmx; 09-25-2004 at 09:16 PM.
Old 09-25-2004
Registered!!

ctx66 will become famous soon enoughctx66 will become famous soon enough
skills

http://gscdownloads.com/GT3cupatVIR.wmv
Old 09-26-2004
Registered!!

exclusive_vtec will become famous soon enough
downshift is ok when u downshift at the right rpms like 3000-0 in between there i think its ok.. anything higher i think it harms the timing belt as well as the tranny.. i use both but usualy at the proper rpm

Quick Reply: engine BRAKE(downshifting): bad for ur engine?