General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Octane Gas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004
Balut Eating Champ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pnoyster2k1cvic is on a distinguished road
Question Octane Gas?

Aight I did a lot of research but I didn't find my answer I did my research under (octane gas) ... so don't flame on me... this octane gas thing confused the hell outta me....

I found this, and didn't tell me much...

What is octane?
If you've read How Car Engines Work, you know that almost all cars use four-stroke gasoline engines. One of the strokes is the compression stroke, where the engine compresses a cylinder-full of air and gas into a much smaller volume before igniting it with a spark plug. The amount of compression is called the compression ratio of the engine. A typical engine might have a compression ratio of 8-to-1. (See How Car Engines Work for details.)
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

The name "octane" comes from the following fact: When you take crude oil and "crack" it in a refinery, you end up getting hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. These different chain lengths can then be separated from each other and blended to form different fuels. For example, methane, propane and butane are all hydrocarbons. Methane has a single carbon atom. Propane has three carbon atoms chained together. Butane has four carbon atoms chained together. Pentane has five, hexane has six, heptane has seven and octane has eight carbons chained together.

It turns out that heptane handles compression very poorly. Compress it just a little and it ignites spontaneously. Octane handles compression very well -- you can compress it a lot and nothing happens. Eighty-seven-octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane (or some other combination of fuels that has the same performance of the 87/13 combination of octane/heptane). It spontaneously ignites at a given compression level, and can only be used in engines that do not exceed that compression ratio.
[/color]

My questions are:

I've heared bout this Octane Booster?
Is it safe to use with NOS?
Is it safe to use with 2rboost?
Is this safe to use with a stock internal?
If not, what kinda upgrade needed to run this fuel?
Whats a safe number... I've heared 87 is good and 90?
How much per gallon?
Can I mix it with regular unleaded gas? i.e. 50%reg. gas-50%octane fuel?
If I go with octane gas... can I go back using regular gas?

If theres more to it that I didn't cover please let me know... I don't wanna jump into this and make my ride to be a humongous cvic rollin bomb... Thanks!!!

Last edited by pnoyster2k1cvic; 02-24-2004 at 12:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2004
I wish I was asian

cambo has a spectacular aura aboutcambo has a spectacular aura about
octane is the measurement of the resistance of the fuel required to detonate.

Higher octance fuels resistance and help reduce detonation in your motor.

edit:

this is a good way of explaining it. which is the 2nd paragraph that u copied and pasted.

The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.

Octane is just a measurement. High compression motors would easier ignite lower octane-rated fuels that it would with higher octane fuels. The problem with this is, what if fuel is ignited RIGHT when the piston reaches TDC. The piston can only go down, but not rotate because its exactly at TDC. Think about it this way, take a bottle and hit it against the desk perfectly straight. The bottle doesnt go anywhere right? it stops, maybe u feel some of the impact in your hand. Now take the same bottle and slam it on the desk at a slight angle. It continues to go down until its sideways right? Yes. In the case of your piston, the piston can now go on the up stroke and return to TDC to compress the air and fuel. If it wasn't allowed to go on its down-stroke, then it would only have to go straight down. Problem is, it can't do that unless something breaks.

Therefore you use a higher octane rated fuel to prevent all this. You make the engine use the sparkplugs to ignite and combust the fuel, instead of using the heat created with the compression of the fuel and air.

Last edited by cambo; 02-24-2004 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-24-2004
I wish I was asian

this explains it MUCH better
Old 02-24-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
What do u mean by octane gas ?

Do u mean the additives that you can put in ?
Old 02-24-2004
Balut Eating Champ

Originally posted by civic01vtec
What do u mean by octane gas ?

Do u mean the additives that you can put in ?
Sorry I'm a noob when it comes to this... I've been seing octane gas on a thread a lot and I wanted to know all about it...
Old 02-24-2004
I wish I was asian

Re: Octane Gas?

Originally posted by pnoyster2k1cvic
My questions are:

Is it safe to use with NOS?
Is it safe to use with 2rboost?
Is this safe to use with a stock internal?
If not, what kinda upgrade needed to run this fuel?
Whats a safe number... I've heared 87 is good and 90?
How much per gallon?
Can I mix it with regular unleaded gas? i.e. 50%reg. gas-50%octane fuel?
If I go with octane gas... can I go back using regular gas?

If theres more to it that I didn't cover please let me know... I don't wanna jump into this and make my ride to be a humongous cvic rollin bomb... Thanks!!!
[/size] [/B]

1. Octane is a measurement which i explained above.
2. see 1.
3. You use it everytime you fill your car up with gas
4. Stock is what is designed to use it.
5. 7thgen civics are designed to run on 87 octance-rated gas
6. Depends on a lot of things.
7. Regular unleaded gas is rated at 87 octane. Super is 90. Premium is 93/94 depending where you are.
8. This question is worthless once you figure out the rest.
Old 02-24-2004
Balut Eating Champ

Aight kool, this fancy way of calling regular gas confused me... Thanks bro! appreciate it!
Old 02-24-2004
I wish I was asian

Octane Booster that you can buy at autozone or any auto shop is simply what it sounds like. It boosts the octane rating of your fuel. The thing is, it only boosts it by .01 which is like nothing at all. So if you add octane booster to your fuel (assuming all you have in the tank is 87 or 'regular' gas) your fuel is now 87.01 octane.
Old 02-24-2004
Balut Eating Champ

Originally posted by cambo
Octane Booster that you can buy at autozone or any auto shop is simply what it sounds like. It boosts the octane rating of your fuel. The thing is, it only boosts it by .01 which is like nothing at all. So if you add octane booster to your fuel (assuming all you have in the tank is 87 or 'regular' gas) your fuel is now 87.01 octane.
Great info Cambo, I ain't buying that useless **** then... much appreciated!
Old 02-24-2004
RESIDENT ROTOR HEAD

nookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of lightnookiemonster is a glorious beacon of light
Just make sure if you're running any type of forced induction--be it supercharger, turbo, and even nitrous, that you are running a higher octane fuel. Out here in Vegas we only get 91. Shitty, yes, but it does the trick. You need to use this to combat detonation due to the higher amounts of air being forced into the engine. Even if guys who decide to stroke their engines and have higher flowing heads need higher octane. Detonation is a bad thing. You can throw rods and even put holes in your piston or your block.

If you go to the REBEL 76 Gas Stations, they sell Racing gas. I believe it is a 96 octane...I can't remember for sure, but I know it's upwards of around $4/gallon. I was planning on using this stuff when I go to the track because I'll be turning the boost up for the night...
Old 02-24-2004
Registered!!

TemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to allTemjinX2 is a name known to all
if your using your car for daily driving. I say just use the 87.
Old 02-24-2004
Fuzzy Boy

FuzzBeC00L is an unknown quantity at this point
Good info everyone
Old 02-24-2004
That is not an ordinary rabbit tis the most foul cruel beast

WhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of lightWhiteCastle is a glorious beacon of light
Any kind of boosting on our cars requires 92 octane or you will ping.....etc etc.
and yes a ping literly is what I said, you hear the pistons ping