General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

What is a hemi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
What is a hemi?

I hear all about them on commercials. One guy is like "yeah it's got a hemi" and then all the other guys coo over it. I know it's a type of engine but what makes it so awesome?
Old 01-25-2004
Owned By Slo Rex

Day_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questionedDay_Tripper should not be questioned
All I know is it's got more power then the other Dodge engines, my guess is it's like a honda vtec?
Old 01-25-2004
< My future wife.

armieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to beholdarmieo is a splendid one to behold
The domestic people in the Dodge forums or whatever are probably spying on our forums and laughing at our n00bosity.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
It's stupid and I don't like those commercials. Who cares if it has power? What do you need a truck for unless you're working construction. Bah.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

Shlomo is an unknown quantity at this point
i hear that the "special" thing about the hemi engines is the shape of the head. it is in the shape of a HEMI-sphere, hence the name. I'm not sure how but it yields higher gains. Yeah, so i guess thats the jist of it.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

manu is an unknown quantity at this point
A hemi is an engine Mopar built in the late 60's. It was in my favorite muscle car and also one of the fastest and more powerful muscle car ever made the Hemicuda. Camaros and mustang are **** against a hemi powered car. And hemi is for hemispherique , cause the combustion chamber was hemispherique which means it was round. Also you can easily recognize a hemi powered car cause all hemi engines are always painted in bright orange , i dont know if they're still orange in the newer ram though. That should answer ur question , although im not exactly sure why a round combustion chamber makes so much more power. Oh and also hemis came in 440's and 446 if my memory serves me well.
Old 01-25-2004
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
edited because his was a better explanation good job

Last edited by v8eaterOKv6; 01-25-2004 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
hemi refers to the hemispherical combustion chambers in the engine's heads. The chamber design puts the intake/exhaust valves in-line, rather than side-by-side. This allows for better flow of air through the head. The spark plug is in the center of the chamber. It makes a better ignition of the fuel/air.

A little side note.....Honda's sohc motors were derived from the hemi.......they rely on stroke to make its power.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

IronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond reputeIronFist has a reputation beyond repute
Cool. So how much hp and tq do these Hemis make?
Old 01-25-2004
i have a new home do u

v8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of lightv8eaterokv6 is a glorious beacon of light
it depends on the ci i think the old ones in the muscle cars made close to 500 from the factory and i think the new ones are close to 350 correct me if im wrong those are just guesses
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

manu is an unknown quantity at this point
okay here are the numbers straight out from a book i have
1968 'cuda with the 340 had 275hp , 340tq and could do the quarter mile in 15.2 seconds at 92mph. Now we're talking about a big and heavy car so those numbers are pretty impressive
BUT... the cuda with the 426 could do the quarter mile in under 11seconds at 130mph

Last edited by manu; 01-25-2004 at 09:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

greynotch is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by manu
A hemi is an engine Mopar built in the late 60's. It was in my favorite muscle car and also one of the fastest and more powerful muscle car ever made the Hemicuda. Camaros and mustang are **** against a hemi powered car. And hemi is for hemispherique , cause the combustion chamber was hemispherique which means it was round. Also you can easily recognize a hemi powered car cause all hemi engines are always painted in bright orange , i dont know if they're still orange in the newer ram though. That should answer ur question , although im not exactly sure why a round combustion chamber makes so much more power. Oh and also hemis came in 440's and 446 if my memory serves me well.
440 I know is correct. I'm not sure about the 446 though.
Old 01-25-2004
I close my eyes, what a beautiful sight. Sleeping to dream about you.

daydreamer is a glorious beacon of lightdaydreamer is a glorious beacon of lightdaydreamer is a glorious beacon of lightdaydreamer is a glorious beacon of lightdaydreamer is a glorious beacon of lightdaydreamer is a glorious beacon of light
isn't the hemi engine small...i remember when we took our hemi to get inspected and the mechanics were suprised with how small it is because the engine has so much power
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
so you wanna know about the Hemi?? well here ya go and have fun! http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi.htm
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

greynotch is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by daydreamer
isn't the hemi engine small...i remember when we took our hemi to get inspected and the mechanics were suprised with how small it is because the engine has so much power
The Hemi on the new Ram's is somewhat small (considering the late 60's hemis), but the 440 was one of the largest displacement production motors ever offered.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

texasric3r is an unknown quantity at this point
Crap, I forgot to refresh..

Anyways that was a great link.
Old 01-25-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
hmm... everyone did such a great job explaining it...

One thing though, I believe the newer engines's aren't true "Hemi's" that followed the original design because they were modified to gain better gas-mileage and similar power so I've heard the term "Semi-Hemi"...
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
i still love the new Ford F-150 over dodge, toyota, and chev anyday. my dad is considering a F150 sometime this year.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

JayFReaZy will become famous soon enough
lol, i was wondering the same exact thing. At least I gained some knowledge of what it is, lol.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

texasric3r is an unknown quantity at this point
And of course, if the hemi doesn't have enough power, you could always drive this ram...Here I am

I know they were posted awhile back but now you can actually purchase them.
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

patoman32 is an unknown quantity at this point
ok not to bash anyone or make fun. here is what a hemi is. it is a hemisphereical(sp?) head with the valves in a row and the spark plug is in the middle of the head on top of the cylinder. the old hemis were a 426 hemi with 425 hp. hemi cars are worth a lot of money and are fast *** cars. i am a mopar man at heart. the new ones are basically the same design with some newer technology added to make it more efficent. they are badass motors. but the famous one is the 426 hemi. the 440 is just a regular big block mopar. i believe the first hemi to come out was smaller(like 346 or so) the 426 was the baddest motor chrysler made and still is.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by patoman32
ok not to bash anyone or make fun. here is what a hemi is. it is a hemisphereical(sp?) head with the valves in a row and the spark plug is in the middle of the head on top of the cylinder. .
yeah, that's what i said a few posts ago
Old 01-25-2004
Registered!!

patoman32 is an unknown quantity at this point
i ment on the 440 part not the part u said, take it easy. a 440 is a regular combustion engine. 426 and the older versions are the only hemi chrysler hemis. well actually australia had a hemi 6 cylinder in some cars. sweet motor ok anyways. point is to educate not get anyone mad civicvtec p.s the baddest car ever built muscle car wise 69 dodge dart 426 hemi. oh god would i kill for one. only like 75 g's now a days

Last edited by patoman32; 01-25-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 01-25-2004
Premium Member

^^^ hehe, i'm just bustin ya
Old 01-26-2004
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
moved to General Auto Ramblings forum
Old 01-26-2004
Sometimes, I can see right through myself ...

taz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud oftaz757 has much to be proud of
My father had a 1968 440 Dodge Charger Magnum. It was British Racing Green with a black vinyl top. Car was major badass. Would outrun just about anything. He loved that car and was always tinkering with it. He actually went as far as having the engine torn down and balanced and blueprinted. He's kicking himself in the *** every day since he got rid of it. He'd love to get another one.
Old 01-26-2004
Registered!!

MatrixShark is an unknown quantity at this point
What is "Hemi"?

It's a nice marketing phrase cashing in on the reputation of the past.
Old 01-26-2004
SuperMODrizd

C2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond reputeC2i0v0i1C has a reputation beyond repute
Originally posted by MatrixShark
What is "Hemi"?

It's a nice marketing phrase cashing in on the reputation of the past.
thats a classic right there,

my dads boss has 11 cudas in his garage, unfreakin believable, u walkin in the AC garage and ur mouth just goes
Old 01-26-2004
I'm an idiot.

Shambler is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread makes me laugh... hard
Old 01-26-2004
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by bluericeburna2k2
so you wanna know about the Hemi?? well here ya go and have fun! http://auto.howstuffworks.com/hemi.htm
thanks!

Quick Reply: What is a hemi?