General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

No Type-R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dan_11477 is an unknown quantity at this point
No Type-R?

As a 2001 coupe owning Englishman I was having a look at honda.com and couldn't believe it when I found there was no Type-R in the current U.S civic line up. Spotting the Si hatchback I guessed it would be the U.S version of the same car, but no!
You guys must be gutted we've had the 200bhp "R" since 2001 and it's just got a facelift meanwhile you've got the recently released Si with only 160 ponies, what is going on?
Our new lineup includes
3dr HB 1.6 sport 110bhp
2.0 Type-R 200bhp
5dr HB 2.0 Type-S 160bhp
Coupe has been discontinued though
But we could be getting the Integra "R" this year
Old 01-06-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
Honda hate us.
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

I'll never moan about Uk dealerships again
Old 01-06-2004
LEVA

KeNsHiN is an unknown quantity at this point
the US gets crap..........all the time...........
Old 01-06-2004
Retired suspension supermod.
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

robbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to beholdrobbclark1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally posted by KeNsHiN
the US gets crap..........all the time...........
yep, but it would be hard for you to get a Ford mustang in Japan!

I want opels, and peugots, and skodas! f
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

mxcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
we can get peugots and the astra (opel)
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

ragencajun is an unknown quantity at this point
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence
Old 01-06-2004
Registered!!

ebound is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by robbclark1
False. When I was in a small town like 3 hours from Tokyo, I saw Mustangs, Cavaliers (which are sold under the toyota badge there. seeing it made me cry), and older corvettes. OUR domestics were pretty common out there. But I saw some really nice cars I'd never see here.

New Galant VR-6
Bug-eyed WRX STi
EVOs III-VII
Silvia S15s (*drool*)
Daihatsus with LOUD BOVs
Supra RZ
RX-7 Infini-III
and, the coupe de grace, Skylines (the r34 sedans are kinda ugly.)
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

O1Coupe is an unknown quantity at this point
COMPARE APPLES TO APPLES.

You might not get the "Civic Type-R" here in North America, but you won't see any SVT Mustang Cobra R's in Japan either. Nor will you see 30th Anniversary Camaros, 50th Anniversary Corvettes, Billet Mustangs, etc etc etc...........

Ahh hell.. just move to Japan. You'll be happier.
Old 01-08-2004
Premium Member

Project2k2 is on a distinguished road
Although I knew a friend in japan who drove a silvia and he said that civic's are rare for street racers. He said that only a few actually won fast hondas.
Old 01-08-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

eh..... Opels fall appart (want an opel buy a Cadillac Catera) , Peugots....(want a Peugot buy a Bycicle) and Skodas are just VWs division in the Cheq Republic....

nothing really special, just different.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

Green Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
All the U.S. gets is down tuned cars. We have more land mass than japan and they get the higher tuned cars? That doesnt make sense. Dont say its an emissions issue, because japan has tougher emissions than the u.s. I guess they dont think there is a demand like in japan. It just sucks. It would be hella nice the pull up next to a svt mustang in a silvia s15 and spank that @ss.
Old 01-08-2004
Nothing works better than a Chris except a Honda.

CivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsRdBest is a glorious beacon of light
That brings up a totally new topic! Will Americans give up the coupe for a Type-R?

It obviously worked there, but the coupe is what sells here. There are 2 3-dr models in that line-up but here we have 1 the Si, and a ton of coupes. Even our Accord has a coupe model, plus we also have the RSX(Integra).
Old 01-08-2004
Post Whore General

Jodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the roughJodster is a jewel in the rough
I'd give up my coupe for a type R.
Old 01-08-2004
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold

Rob you're watching too much WRC, turn off speedvision

Anyways... you don't need a Rustang in europe... Doesn't Ford sell a Focus RS (a basically street legal rally car) or something? They sell a couple sports sedans that we have no idea about here. I saw a couple Corvettes in France 2 summers ago and maybe 1 Camaro... buy why pay for American crap, which is IMPORT over there, when you can buy a BMW like its a domestic. Think about it... its not really a great value for for the money to get a rubbermaid sports car when you consider what can be had over there without being an import. Hell, a Benz C class is a european Taxi, here its an entry level luxocar.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

gizcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
i am trying to get my hands on a 2.0 civic
a friend of mine is trying to get one for me
but only the cost of the car and not the shipping
Old 01-08-2004
I'll flip out and kill people.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
modoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questionedmodoman should not be questioned
well at least we have hot rods, lead sleads, and sweet *** muscle cars that a lot of countries could only dream of...
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

XxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really niceXxSoVeReiGNxX is just really nice
Originally posted by modoman
well at least we have hot rods, lead sleads, and sweet *** muscle cars that a lot of countries could only dream of...
yeah i wanna visit cuba and other carribean islands one day. ever since cuba pissed off the US, they haven't gotten anything new. Theres tons of old school stuff there!
Old 01-08-2004
Shows No Remorse

DistinctiveBP is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Project2k2
Although I knew a friend in japan who drove a silvia and he said that civic's are rare for street racers. He said that only a few actually won fast hondas.
i wouldnt expect to see many hondas if i were there. they have such a wide selection of high horsepower cars like the silvia and skyline that would spank a honda like a gt or c6 would. although there are a few exceptions.

and im sure the honda cars that are exceptions are badass cars. like that 10 sec del sol that had the engine mounted in the back.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

Originally posted by ragencajun
The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence
This is indeed true, iv'e seen the new mustang and wow i'd love one of those but i doubt the'll come out over her in england, sure we have the focus RS but i don't like em.
Old 01-08-2004
Registered!!

Honda UK seem to think there's no room in the market for a Type-R and coupe and since the Type-R is made in england the coupe has been dumped.
Maybe Honda US has the same idea but since the Coupe's built in America it's dumped the Type-R
Old 01-09-2004
Shows No Remorse

Originally posted by dan_11477

Maybe Honda US has the same idea but since the Coupe's built in America it's dumped the Type-R
i would hate to think so but i wouldnt doubt it
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

Civic_Si_Veloz is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd rather have the Type R in a coupe form.
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

LeoFF6 is an unknown quantity at this point
...agree with you on that one. I just wish that the si came back in the coupe form....
Old 01-09-2004
Shows No Remorse

Originally posted by LeoFF6
...agree with you on that one. I just wish that the si came back in the coupe form....
seriously! i LOVE the 99-00 SI Coupe! especially in blue
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

papi2001civic is an unknown quantity at this point
we dont always get the crappiest cars...... yes we did have to wait till the eighth version of the evo to get it but we got it ....and look at the wrx sti we have the most powerful one in the market... japans sti only has 276 hp...so we dont have it all bad.... but i could kill for an s15 silvia
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

AntDeezy is on a distinguished road
what most don't get is that the car companies are in it to make money ... not cars
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

LeoFF6 is an unknown quantity at this point
if they were in it for the pleasure of watching the satisfaction of person drive off with their car the i think every dealership should give away their cars....that should be better than money...but thats my fantasy world
Old 01-09-2004
Registered!!

cosmo is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by DistinctiveBP
i wouldnt expect to see many hondas if i were there. they have such a wide selection of high horsepower cars like the silvia and skyline that would spank a honda like a gt or c6 would. although there are a few exceptions.
It's not ALL about horse power in Japan. Have you ever seen some of the 2 lane roads that they have there? You can squeeze one car and a bike (pedal) on them and thats about it. The only luxuries of wide roads are the main roads that run from city to city (or town to village ect.) or the toll roads that run to the major sections. Did you ever stop to wonder why most Japanesse cars handle a hell of a lot better than domestics (for the same price range) and why most people there are concerned with cornering rather (and gas milage) than just going hella fast in a straight line?
Old 01-09-2004
Shows No Remorse

Originally posted by cosmo
It's not ALL about horse power in Japan. Have you ever seen some of the 2 lane roads that they have there? You can squeeze one car and a bike (pedal) on them and thats about it. The only luxuries of wide roads are the main roads that run from city to city (or town to village ect.) or the toll roads that run to the major sections. Did you ever stop to wonder why most Japanesse cars handle a hell of a lot better than domestics (for the same price range) and why most people there are concerned with cornering rather (and gas milage) than just going hella fast in a straight line?
my bad. i didnt specify. what i meant was that i wouldnt expect too see many hondas at the races.

and i dont know if you have noticed but, we here in the US have been hit by the drifting craze. which involves going around corners fast. lets count how many hondas were in the D1 grand prix...umm 0! lets look at the cars that were in it, skylines, silvias, 350zs, rx7 and the winner of it a toyota AE86. and the D1 was held here in the US.

im not saying hondas are bad at drifting or autocrossing. and i do agree that the driver has alot to do with it. but if you put 2 drivers of the same caliber in the same race and one has a civic and the other a 180sx im puttin' my $$ on the nissan.

Quick Reply: No Type-R?