General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

SCC Article on the SRT-4

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003
Just Be

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MangoEX should not be trusted
and you guys never answered my question regarding camber... zysskx??
Old 10-31-2003
Autocross Junky
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
what question on camber?\

wait, never mind I found it.

camber settings...... If you like dragracing, then 0 deg camber on the front is what you want. and thats what Dodge gives you with the SRT-4, giving you an Idea as to what Dodge built this thing for.

for road racing, autocross, Spirited mountain driving you want and need Negitive camber! How much depends on a number of things, like what type of driving you do (race/autocross/street) and what your suspension set up is.

Autocross ushually has the most negitive camber with some people running between -1.5 to -3 deg camber. then comes road racing with less camber and then street. How much camber do you need? Not sure, testing a few setups would help here, as well as using a tire pyrometer. if you have a pyrometer, you want to adjust the camber of your car so that after a run, the temp accrost the tire contact patch is as close to even as possible.

For straight numbers, Id say around -1 deg enough to help but not enough to eat tires.

Last edited by Zzyzx; 10-31-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 10-31-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

sadboy916 is an unknown quantity at this point
no 0-60 times and 1/4 passes are not what makes a sports car but they play a big part no matter what you might think if they did not porsche would not have turbo'd any of their cars but they did because people who want sports cars want to be able to beat other cars on the road / track.

i have seen a stock srt-4 run a 14.1 i know the s2k runs low 14's as well but i think the srt-4 will beat the majority of s2k's because they are easier to launch
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Giuseppe is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Zzyzx
from my experiance in car racing, pure acceleration no longer impresses me. I Look at the whole package now. Acceleraton, Handling and Brakeing.

unfortunatly this is not a common view in this country. we seem to have this idea that 0-60 times are the only thing that makes a sports car...... where as the rest of the world loves driving, not just accelerating.
Exactly. I feel the same way. Hence the reason I'm saving my money to get a nice all around performing car, like the BMW M Coupe, next summer once my Civic is paid in full. Sure it'll get beat by a modded SRT-4 at a stoplight but I'll be able to run circles around it all day long.

For the record, I like the SRT-4. I just had a bad experience with my Neon once it hit 70k miles. So I don't think I would get another.
Old 10-31-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
It's funny how in defense of Honda, one of you brought up the reliability factor.... I'm just saying that this thread should stick to the performance of a car, not how long it lasts.
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Civicious is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by MangoEX
You guys are so biased... There are DEFINITELY some reliable and exciting American cars out there, my grandparent's Chrysler Reliant had around 350,000 original miles on it before it got totaled in an accident.
I love all cars in general.
In addition to my fuel efficient Civic I also own a gas guzzling 74 Chevrolet Camaro with a 350 small block and a 3 speed B&M ratchet shift automatic transmission.
Old 10-31-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

typical ricer comments

my honda will last longer

i have a better hp/liter ratio

domestics cant handle well
Old 10-31-2003
Jeremy's Iron

CivicRookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Exactly my point, Sadboy
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

silverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of lightsilverdevil is a glorious beacon of light
Originally posted by JDog2001CivicEX
Actually I still have access to a running, almost in perfect condition Dodge Colt with over 400,000 miles on it, so your comment is based purely upon opinoin, if it is a fact show me the actual place where it was stated.
Well, it was made by Mitsubishi, remember that? Dodge just rebadged it.

Lose the big *** wing and the hood scoop and it's really a nice looking car. I tend to think that neon's are crap because the 3 people I know who owned them all had problems with them before they reached 50K. I don't think I'd ever buy one, unless this one proves me wrong. I read they were actually built well, that's to be seen.
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Cyko is an unknown quantity at this point
The fact is that speed is fun..... granted that neon is fast. It is also a lot better looking than most domestics. On the street it's a great car... A guy I know has a caprice with a supercharged 350 under the hood and one of those things burned him, so it definately mods up nicely (nice and lightweight too). The car is awesome for that purpose. We'll know about its reliability in a few years.

I'm sure the car wouldn't fair so well in autocross, though. That's not what the car is designed to do. Just like the sound system in my car isn't super ****in loud. Well no ****, I designed it for SQ and I'm running 600watts.

A civic would probably hold up against one of those in autocross, but who gives a ****? Give the car credit where it's due.

I personally would rather have an rsx-s, though. Doesn't handle like a brick and is actually a "luxury" car. It's all a matter of opinion, though.

I still don't understand why sadboy drives a civic, though....... constantly screaming "1/4 mile!" and "domestic" yet he drives one of the slowest cars (an import no less) on the road and says cars like the skyline suck compared to vettes and cameros..... heh ya know he only hangs around here to rattles the cages :P
Old 10-31-2003
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Theres only one neon that I would ever buy, and they dont make it any more.....

The NEON ACR (American Club Racer).... It was built for club racing had adjustible camber on the nose Stock, came with Koni adjustible shocks Stock, came with no rev limiter Stock.... ect... ect....ect....

Did great in SCCA showroom stock classes (Road Race) as well as in SCCA autocross. To bad the SRT-4 dosn't have these things.
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

BlackSI is an unknown quantity at this point

I still don't understand why sadboy drives a civic, though....... constantly screaming "1/4 mile!" and "domestic" yet he drives one of the slowest cars (an import no less)
hes jus mad cuz the sacramento kings suck

j/p
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Lose the big *** wing and the hood scoop and it's really a nice looking car. I tend to think that neon's are crap because the 3 people I know who owned them all had problems with them before they reached 50K. I don't think I'd ever buy one, unless this one proves me wrong. I read they were actually built well, that's to be seen. [/B]
Yes the spoiler is a bit too excessive and the scoop definately has to go. I like how they got rid of the bumble bee looking front end though.

As for reliabilty only time will tell if Dodge has improved this are of the Neon.

Just checked out the gas mileage claimed. "29-mpg in the city and 36-mpg on the highway" Not bad for a car in the 200 and above HP range.

Last edited by Civicious; 10-31-2003 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2003
HISPAnIC CAUSIn PAnIC

because i like american muscle not high revving cars big deal. i bought a civic for a daily driver its not a fast car by any means. cyko and all you other noobs this site is not a "import site" its a site for people who own a 7th gen civic anyone who has been here for a while knows it to. if you want to go to a import site go to vtec.net or hondaforums.com or whatever.

as for the skyline you should check that thread again and re read it
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Cyko is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm a n00b now cuz he doesn't like that I pointed out some simple facts lol. This isn't an american muscle site either lol..... it's a 7thgen site. You should go to a mustang forum or somthing lol; c'mon that reasoning is lame..... this site is far more related to imports than it is to american muscle cars as the civic is an import.

You constantly knock civics and imports in general, proclaiming domestic superiority and you drive a slow *** civic (gee, I guess the civic is actually better than comparable domestics)..... quit bein a hypocrite.

Just thought I'd feed ya some more wood for the flaming :P It's fun to read all the flamewars hehe.

oh and btw: this is the "general auto rambling" forum? I guess that means 7thgen's only lol.... guess this whole thread should be deleted, eh sadboy? no neons allowed lol..... gimme a break.

Last edited by Cyko; 10-31-2003 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-31-2003
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Alright, alright, enough, let's get back to the subject and stop this bickering...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	catfight.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	13066  
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
I bet you'd get a headache looking out of yellow tint like that. Everything looks brighter ( i have yellow tinted shooting glasses thats what they are for, make everything look brighter)
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by cdmx
I bet you'd get a headache looking out of yellow tint like that. Everything looks brighter ( i have yellow tinted shooting glasses thats what they are for, make everything look brighter)
I never thought of that. Does anyone remember the BluBlockers sunglass commercials? lol
Old 10-31-2003
Wicked Moderatuh

fraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of lightfraga is a glorious beacon of light
Ummm, okay. You do realize, that's NOT me and I have never even put on a pair of yellow tinted glasses.
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by fraga
Ummm, okay. You do realize, that's NOT me and I have never even put on a pair of yellow tinted glasses.
LOL! I think he's reffering to the Neon with yellow tint up above. At least I was.

However I did always wonder if that was you in the avatar!
Old 10-31-2003
Wicked Moderatuh

I know I was just kidding...
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
ok, i think for the most part, American cars are made to go in a straight line, due to the culture of American cars (mustang, corvette, firebird, trans am). but japanese cars are made to perform all around, not just straight lines. most cars in japan arent all about going fast in straight line, they race normal cars like integras, the new Mr2s, etc. so basically japanese cars are made to perform well in turns for like drifting and mountain racing. so if you compare American cars to Japanese cars going on a straight road with no turns, then of course the American car will win.
Old 10-31-2003
Just Be

MangoEX should not be trusted
^^ Theres a bit of subjectivity there... anyway.. to you people saying Neons have problems before 50k etc... Look at how many of our 7th gen Civics that have had problems before 50k. Trannys, brakes, interior hardware, you name it all!
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

cdmx will become famous soon enoughcdmx will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by fraga
I know I was just kidding...
heh i wasn't even talking about you...
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Snooterz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by XxJDMCivicxX
It's fast as hell but I just don't like the design there are already a couple that are running low 12's theres a vid of chick that has one modded and she beats a 93 viper she ran 12.3. Quick cars I just hate the styling and the (neon) history behind it.
get your facts straight, your numbers were close, but not quite. she got a 12.6x. the viper got a 12.9x and it was a 1992 viper. anyway, i agree that the styling is not too slick (nice front fascia though), but it's nice enough for me to drive around in one and not feel embarassed. with some nice wheels and some parts from the body kit from wings west, it's not a bad looking car.
Old 10-31-2003
Registered!!

Snooterz is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by JDMTUNED01
If Honda made a civic with a turo kit on it it would be the same thing. just cause it come from the factory everyones nutting the pants.....big damn deal.
yeah IF. but honda doesn't. so what's your point? the reason people are spooging their pants is because factory turbos don't void the warranty. there are also plenty of mopar bolt-ons that don't void the warranty. that's very impressive.
Old 11-01-2003
All Eyes On Z

SlammedBlueEM2 is on a distinguished road
Civic = econobox
Neon = econobox

Upperclass Civic = Civic Type R
Upperclass Neon = SRT-4

A Civic with a lot of money in it can beat/destroy a Viper
A Neon (any) with a lot of money in it can beat/destroy a Viper.

I can't see the Civic generally speaking without getting into the obvious of details about both upperclass cars... outclassing a Neon.

In the end, thanks to front-wheel drive the Civic is just a Civic.
And the Neon, well... is no different.
Old 11-01-2003
Registered!!

Looney_01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
I love the SRT-4 with the body kit!!! I am going to wait a year or so, and let dodge get the bugs and problems worked out!!! And see if it is going to keep the Neon reputation..

This isnt the SRT-4 but I think it is the tightest Neon I have ever seen!!!
Old 11-01-2003
Registered!!

Looney_01Civic is an unknown quantity at this point
oops hit the wrong button!! lol
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	d8_1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	13099  
Old 11-01-2003
Titanium Metallic. You got a problem with that?

Nodnero has a spectacular aura aboutNodnero has a spectacular aura about
You guys run touge style!?

Quick Reply: SCC Article on the SRT-4