General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

Auto to Manual to Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003
Smuggling bananas and mexicans all for one low price...
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
Auto to Manual to Auto

Well, I was driving to school today, and got smoked by a mustang. Yes, I was driving my stock Civic with only SRI, but that's besides the point. I can't handle it anymore. So here come the questions. How much is it going to cost for me to change my car from an Auto to a Manual. I don't want to do it myself, I want a shop to do it. Also, if this is a dumb idea, what should I do with my Auto tranny? I am planning on getting the SF turbo, so should I rebuild the Auto tranny? If so how much is this going to run me. I either want to have a tranny swap or I want an Auto tranny that can handle the turbo w/o breaking under racing conditions. Thanks for the help guys, and yes I've searched.

Brad
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

avenger is an unknown quantity at this point
search harder... try relevant terms like, oh, i don't know... "TRANNY SWAP" or "AUTO MANUAL" .....
Old 10-09-2003

TheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond reputeTheSmuggler has a reputation beyond repute
LOL, ok I found out about the swap, so you guys talk to me about rebuilding the automatic transmission.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
flotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to beholdflotsamm is a splendid one to behold
Just trade it in for a RSX...
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

dacivic is an unknown quantity at this point
There are quite a few who will get turbo with auto. Nothing wrong with that. Do a search on "auto turbo"

From my memory the only thing you must get is transmission cooler.
Old 10-09-2003

GreenNVicious can only hope to improve
automatic turbo=better IMO
Old 10-09-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
just get new engnie with m/t
only 500-700 anyways.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Renamazazo is an unknown quantity at this point
The one probelm with an Automatic Turbo, is that they're Much harder to drive than a 5 speed with a turbo... now let me explain.

Let's say you're driving around with your 5 speed, and decide to hit the gas in the middle of a corner, the turbo spools up and you break tracktion, now all you have to do is push in the clutch, and there ya go, no more wheel spin

Now, the same scenerio with the auto, you have to pop in into neutral which takes much more time then pushing a clutch in, expecially if you're not expecting it do break traction.

Now, if all you wanna do is drive in a straight line (??? WHY WHY!!!!), then go ahead with your auto turbo...
Old 10-09-2003

Why would I have to put it into neutral, wouldent I just have to letoff the gas.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

GunnerX17 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Renamazazo
Let's say you're driving around with your 5 speed, and decide to hit the gas in the middle of a corner
That's suicide Why would you decide to hit the gas while cornering...you're crazy

on more serious note: do people really shift into neutral on turns to stop tire spin while road racing? Or is that suppose to be an emergency maneuver when you lose control? I've never tried this before, but if it really works then maybe i should give it a try (in a nice big open parking lot first haha). Anyways, other than that...I've always been told to "brake in" and "gas out" of the corners.

Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by GunnerX17
That's suicide Why would you decide to hit the gas while cornering...you're crazy

on more serious note: do people really shift into neutral on turns to stop tire spin while road racing? Or is that suppose to be an emergency maneuver when you lose control? I've never tried this before, but if it really works then maybe i should give it a try (in a nice big open parking lot first haha). Anyways, other than that...I've always been told to "brake in" and "gas out" of the corners.

I'm not saying "I" would hit the gas in the middle of a corner, doesn't mean that someone wanting to show off who doesn't know what there doing won't... and yes, break BEFORE the corner, gas AFTER the corner, typically you don't want to do very much inbetween...
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Renamazazo
I'm not saying "I" would hit the gas in the middle of a corner, doesn't mean that someone wanting to show off who doesn't know what there doing won't... and yes, break BEFORE the corner, gas AFTER the corner, typically you don't want to do very much inbetween...
i was just giving you a hard time
Old 10-09-2003
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
typically you don't want to do very much inbetween...
except DRIFT!!!

I personally wouldn't want an auto turbo, but then again i wouldn't want an auto to begin with. But because of the non-linear powerband of a turbocharged engine, its better to have the driver in control of the RPM rather than the ECU.I remember a guy on the Honda-tech forums who had a bad experience with his auto turbo. I think he had a prelude (whatever he had it was an auto with VTEC) anyways, it had been raining and he was going up a hill. Well the car downshifted, RPMs were now in VTEC land, turbo spooled up, tires lost traction and he went in the ditch.
Old 10-09-2003
Banned

my04wrx is an unknown quantity at this point

putting the clutch in (or shifting to N) during cornering IS SUICIDE. you are disconnecting the drivetrain, effectively letting the wheels do whatever they want to. Anyone that has ever gone around a high speed turn in neutral vs a high speed turn in a gear can tell you that. really though, you never take the car out of gear ever while it is moving.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Got Boost???
except DRIFT!!!

I personally wouldn't want an auto turbo, but then again i wouldn't want an auto to begin with. But because of the non-linear powerband of a turbocharged engine, its better to have the driver in control of the RPM rather than the ECU.I remember a guy on the Honda-tech forums who had a bad experience with his auto turbo. I think he had a prelude (whatever he had it was an auto with VTEC) anyways, it had been raining and he was going up a hill. Well the car downshifted, RPMs were now in VTEC land, turbo spooled up, tires lost traction and he went in the ditch.
that is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about
Old 10-09-2003
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Ok... the gas is not an on/off switch.
When they say brake in, gas out, you GRADUALLY get back on the gas. You don't just floor it. Thats dumb and you'll lose it.
Power is nothing unless you have control of it, and you shouldn't punch it in the middle of a corner. But giving it gradually giving it gas to carry you out works every time.
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by my04wrx
putting the clutch in (or shifting to N) during cornering IS SUICIDE. you are disconnecting the drivetrain, effectively letting the wheels do whatever they want to. Anyone that has ever gone around a high speed turn in neutral vs a high speed turn in a gear can tell you that. really though, you never take the car out of gear ever while it is moving.
makes sense to me...i guess that weeds out the possibility of me trying to put it into neutral like he was talking about.
Old 10-09-2003
Don't drink and post, you will end up hilarious.

Got Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant futureGot Boost??? has a brilliant future
Ok... the gas is not an on/off switch.
aww crap i guess i can't do the gas pedal to light switch conversion now
Old 10-09-2003
Registered!!

Drnknmnky13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Got Boost???
aww crap i guess i can't do the gas pedal to light switch conversion now
Old 10-09-2003
Administrator
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
hahahahaha
Old 10-09-2003
Banned

makes sense to me...i guess that weeds out the possibility of me trying to put it into neutral like he was talking about.
sorry if im busting your chops, but do you really have a highly modded tt supra? can i see a few pics?
Old 10-10-2003
(SnOwBoArDeR | FoReVeR)

Civic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura aboutCivic_Racer9 has a spectacular aura about
sell ur civic or something....and get a used integra gsr manual and turbo it.....fasttttttttttttt

laterrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrr
Old 10-10-2003

Well, I'm not getting a new car, so I'm stuck with my automatic, and I'm most likely going to turbo it. Also, I live in Florida, where the largest hill is 5 feet high lol.
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by my04wrx
sorry if im busting your chops, but do you really have a highly modded tt supra? can i see a few pics?
Nah I just have an old toyota.
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Naito is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Boilermaker1

Power is nothing unless you have control of it
couldn't have said it better myself....

you guys have strange ideas about how to drive *sigh*
I suppose you'll learn tho......
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

Skunk2ner is an unknown quantity at this point
brake in gas out..
braking in does two things. 1.. slows you down enough to where you can control the vehicle in the turn. and 2... you kind of want to brake late (later than street driving) and hard to get the car to dip to the front outside corner. putting a lot of weight on the one tire to allow it to get more traction for the turn.
once you've hit the apex of the turn and its starting to straighten out, you start putting pressure on the accelerator just to get it going without losing control, then as you're straightening the wheel you can mash it.
Old 10-10-2003
Banned

Nah I just have an old toyota.
which model toyota? supra?
Old 10-10-2003
Registered!!

94 toyota supra...click on "My Ride" that might help