General Automotive Discussion General automotive discussion and chat. Honda, Toyota, Chevrolet, Ford. It doesn't matter, just talk about it here.

hyundai tiburon..

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slamtank is an unknown quantity at this point
hyundai tiburon..

hey guys how do u think about hyundai tiburon??
im posting both tiburon forum and this forum..
and they said a lot of advantages about their tiburon against civic..
without thinking about brand name, what do u think is better??
if u think civic is better then give a proof..
you should kno that car first..if u dont, then dont reply anything with anger..
if u kno enough about tiburon..then compare it with civic..
then reply a result plz..
ok this is what they said..
and one thing..im not flamming or bringing one..i just wanna kno the truth..
dont be angry with what they said..
heres what they said..kinda long but..read thru plz..

The Tiburon actually blows away the Civic in most of the categories you listed, and beyond.

Fit and Finish, easy win. The extreme economy interior is absolutely no match for the Tiburons. The seats are crap in the Civic again cause of its economy classification. Looks, absolutely the easiest possible win for the Tiburon. The Civic is ok, but quite plain. There is a good reason why the Civic has likely more body kits for it. Change the appearance. Ride feel etc, theres a good reason why my friend sold his Civic and immediately bought an Accord. The base Civic is actually in the same class as the Accent. The quality level etc doesn't increase with the badge on it, just the engine/horsepower.

As for a resale value. When you compare a 2001 Tiburon to a 2001 Civic EX (Si in Canada) the Canadian Black Book reported a return of $13,700 for the Tiburon and $13,375 for the Civic. That is with equal mileage, and same classification in condition. The Civic EX I *believe* costed more then the Tiburon originally as well. Considering it has been said over and over again, the 2003 Tiburon in general is pretty much the best Tiburon made by Hyundai thus far, the resale value will only increase. Reports in a bunch of Toronto 'professional' papers such as the Star (worldwide distribution) reported that the Tiburon will be much higher then before. Therefore more like Accord resale value.

Performance wise, I'm not sure what the Tiburon I4 is running in the 1/4 mile, 0-60, on the skid pad, braking (would be the same likely as the V6 due to less weight). 140/2940 vs 127/2553 power to weight, I'm not sure Tiburon still has the torque advantage as well to get it rolling. I would think it would be pretty close?

Aftermarket? Well sure the 2.0L does not have a million different companies behind it, but it has the same parts as the Civic. You can really only put 1 CAI on a car, 1 exhaust, 1 header, 2 cams, 4 pistons/rods, 1 ECU etc etc in the car.

If you are going to say spend the extra on a RSX, forget that, save your money again and get far superior performance with the Tiburon V6. Likely hook up a chain to the back of the Tiburon and RSX and haul the RSX around like a little rag doll with the extra torque in the Tiburon.

if u wanna see pics of tiburon..let me kno..
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

hothondacivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
This had been discussed before search the foums and you will find your answer.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
i've read in several reviews that the Tiburon's doors slam shut as it was a cheaply made domestic. so much for fit and finish... just my $.02 Also, considering Hyundai went under heat for reporting false hp numbers, that's never a good sign either... To many question marks for Hyundai. Honda is better quality, hands down.

They look pretty sweet though, I'll give ya that.

EDIT: Think of this too. Of COURSE they're gonna tell you that the Tiburon is amazing, they own the damn car! Just like Civic owners will always tell you that their car is the best. It's called bias, and it's a nasty lil bugger. What you need to do is just ask the opinions from owners of different makes...Toyota, Chevy, Nissan, Ford, VW.... whatever. I guarentee you'll get an overwhelming opinion that Honda makes a better product. Tiburon is cheaper than a RSX-S, Celica GT-S, Eclipse GT...but as always, you get what you pay for lease:

Last edited by Jandree22; 06-27-2003 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2003
Banned by Admin
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Master should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trustedMaster should not be trusted
well what you get with the tiburon is unreliability. That is what turned me off of buying it. Whoopty Doo, you have more horsepower. We know our cars are slow. Then another thing on my mind with the Tiburon is that warranty. There has to be a reason there is a 10 year 100k mile warranty, and it is no dealer insentive. It is because Korean cars are unreliable pieces of a$$.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

NaHoOnEyYa is an unknown quantity at this point
You know....honda offers a 10 year warranty too...^^
u just have to pay extra....but still....
as for tiburon's....the new model seemed to be pretty reliable....the 2.7 V-6 has been pretty good to hyundai..
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Jandree22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember, the SRT-4 runs 13's for under $20k, but why aren't we all running out and gobbling it up? Cause it'll be $20k down the drain when it starts falling apart after 4 years. Get the Tiburon,but just remember...

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED
Old 06-27-2003
Civicforums Junkie

FALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of lightFALKEN is a glorious beacon of light
bottom line...hyundai is crap
Old 06-27-2003
Chicks dig my scent

civicskater is an unknown quantity at this point
I was NEVER a fan of Hyundai until my mom got her 02 Hyundai Sonata LX V-6...the exact same engine the v-6 tiburon has.

I love this car, she got it fully loaded, leather, climate control, all that **** but it has some go to it. 190 pd torque, 180 hp it rides very smooth when shifting (auto) and very quick over the entire rpm range. Its heavy about 3600pds i think but its not suppossed to be a race car, its definately not a car id buy but i do love driving it, hella fun. And with the silver and the 17'' 8 spoke wheels looks like a jaguar
Old 06-27-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
i like it. 6 speed tiburon.
still faster than civic.
looks good.
it has good warranty. if anythings wrong.. just take it in. no big deal.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Isaiah1975 is an unknown quantity at this point
out of the box it wins on style, but in the end i think you would be happyer with the civic. in the US Honda owns the streets as far as Sport Compacts go, and Chevy guys bag on us, just think what they will say when the read Tiburon? Really what you need to to is test drive both, but if you really like the Tiburon, get a used one that way you'll save a little money and still have the remander of the 10 year warranty. just my thoughts. good luck.
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

chobits is an unknown quantity at this point
tiburon is a nice looking car and it's pretty fast too, but i have a friend that has tiburon said that it's a big no no to buy tiburon
if he can choose again, he won't buy the car
his engine was broken a month after he bought it NEW !
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

KurupTLX is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: hyundai tiburon..

Originally posted by slamtank
When you compare a 2001 Tiburon to a 2001 Civic EX (Si in Canada) the Canadian Black Book reported a return of $13,700 for the Tiburon and $13,375 for the Civic. That is with equal mileage, and same classification in condition.
That is complete and utter bullshit. The 2001 Tiburon's resale value is HORRIBLE... even the 2003's resale is poor. I've never driven the car so I won't comment on all the other asshat comments.

K-lx
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

Whyte_Lye is an unknown quantity at this point
In my opinion, I don't think the interior of the tib is nice at all, seems really cheap and toy like inside
Old 06-27-2003
Registered!!

AZD17A2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by Whyte_Lye
In my opinion, I don't think the interior of the tib is nice at all, seems really cheap and toy like inside
I agree 100%. I looked at the new Tibby's when they first came out, and while I was impressed with the exterior styling, and with what you get for the money, the quality didn't impress me, and the ergonomics were nowhere near as good as the Civic. Plus, the '03 Civic have the improved interior that looks like it could be in a $25 or $30k car, where the Tibby's interior looks and feels like a < $20k car. And the reason Hyundais have that long warranty is not because their products are super reliable, it's to give buyers piece of mind when something inevitably goes wrong. It's not a bad idea, but it's no substitute for real quality.
Old 06-27-2003

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
Re: Re: hyundai tiburon..

Originally posted by KurupTLX
That is complete and utter bullshit. The 2001 Tiburon's resale value is HORRIBLE... even the 2003's resale is poor. I've never driven the car so I won't comment on all the other asshat comments.

K-lx
Actually I've paid more out on a 2003 Tiburon than I did on a 2003 Civic ... I work for a Insurance company and had total losses with both vehicles .... they had roughly the same km's and both were 4 cycl..... So, it looks to me that the 2003 Tiburon was worth more .....
Old 06-28-2003
Escaped Convict

CapYoda has a spectacular aura aboutCapYoda has a spectacular aura about
its not really 180hp...

they fudged on the hp rating... they said a reading went wrong... but how can someone screw something like that up?

basically they got caught.

2.7l and only 170hp, not fairly respectable but eh.

overall the car isn't so bad, they're getting better.

resale value is still up for debate, it hasn't been out long enough to see...

our resale value is horrible too for a Honda Civic... you can get a 01 civic easily for under 10 grand.
Old 06-28-2003
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
Umm I dont know who told you the fit and finish was better than honda? Hyundai's build quality is absolute crap. I took an Asian Business class this last semester and we did a case study on Hyundai, their number 1 problem with their products is lack of quality, poor reliability came in as their second problem. Sure its a nice looking car and its faster, but when the tranny dies after 14,600 miles (like my friends) than you'll know why it has that 10 year warranty. And also, don't expect to get your car back ASAP with warranty repairs, they have horrible service practices. my $.02
Old 06-28-2003
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
I've driven both 03 i4 5spd and the 03 V6 5spd. I was anything but impresed with them both. The ride was very cheap. A "sports car" should handle so much better then it did. The leather inside the V6 also seemed cheap. My ride in my civic and my friend's RSX-S is far superior. Sure the tibby V6 might pull a little harder than our cars, but who cares. The i4 has no pick up whatsoever. It is a cheap poorly made car. The bottom line...get the RSX-S.
Old 06-28-2003
Sweetest Dude on 7th Gen

xX03EXx will become famous soon enoughxX03EXx will become famous soon enough
correction...03 V6 6spd...
Old 06-28-2003
Registered!!

mystical is an unknown quantity at this point
i drove an 03 5spd tibby today, was a fun ride. seats were very comfortable, interior/exterior very well styled. seems like a fun car, but ive never driven any other sports cars so i cant make any comparisons.
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

scsGrumPyDriveR is an unknown quantity at this point
I am surprised how so many people thinks that the tiburon looks good because I personally think it is one of the ugliest car produced.
Old 06-29-2003
The Man, Myth and Legend

Location: Western Canada, where the beer is cold and the women are HOT!
ZMan2k2 is an unknown quantity at this point
I can't speak particularily about the Tiburon, but I can speak about Hyundai in general. I used to have one, and when I had it, it gave me nothing but problems. At about 90000km (hey I'm Canadian ) the clutch went out, no warning, no chatter, nothing. Just one day, I shifted from 2nd to 3rd and nothing. Once that was fixed, the CV joints went out. Once that was fixed, the timing belt went. That was a b*tch, cause one of the valves took a header into a piston, and broke, so they both needed to be replaced. Now up until here, I had spent close to $2500 dollars on this car, and that's above the second-hand purchase price. I used all factory replacement parts, so I thought I would be okay, right? Wrong! About 1000km after replacing the valve and piston, the rear oil seal puked up oil all over my parents driveway, why? Did I install it wrong, did I screw it up? No, I took it to Hyundai for them to look at it, and they told me that the seal had a habit of doing that, NICE . All of this happened while I had driven the car for a total of 8000km. That's about 4800 miles. And I didn't even include things like tires (3 sets) tie rod ends, ball joints, brakes, cables etc. All told, in the year I had that car, I spent about $5000 on repairs, and bought it for $1500. $6500 IN ONE YEAR!! IMO, Hyundai is crap, and I personally, would never buy another one, and would tell anyone considering one, DON"T BUY IT!! It's nothing but headaches waiting to happen.
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

mystical is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally posted by scsGrumPyDriveR
I am surprised how so many people thinks that the tiburon looks good because I personally think it is one of the ugliest car produced.
the thing looks like a $200,000+ ferrari, the 03 model anyway, i didnt like the old ones as much

comparison:

Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

nsiegel5 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is the bottom line you get what you pay for and when you buy a Hyundai you get s**t. Its a cheap plastic box with an engine that breaks apart real easy and I wouldnt be caught dead buying one thats for sure.
Old 06-29-2003

03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted03Eclipse should not be trusted
If Hyundai is the cheapest, then wouldn't honda be the next cheapest?
Old 06-29-2003
Search and Learn

civicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nicecivicvtec1ps is just really nice
Originally posted by 03Eclipse
true
Old 06-29-2003
Cat

Cat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to beholdCat is a splendid one to behold
Not a big fan of the Tib'. I liked it for a while, but then all the niceness wore off on me. I think I'd stick with a Civic. I don't like the body style of the Tiburon that much. It's like a bunch of different cars all welded into one body. I think it looks like a Cavalier, Celica, Mustang and Eclipse got together and had a love-child.

Just my $0.02.
Old 06-29-2003
Registered!!

Majarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trustedMajarvis should not be trusted
Originally posted by 03Eclipse
We're not talking about price, we're talking about quality... lease:

My friends grandfather had a 1991 Accord, 500,000+ km's on it, still ran like new. Try to find a Hyundai that's still running with 100,000+
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

hothondacivic02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes the tiburon has its down sides and up sides i think it looks pretty chill especiallt eith the min garage body kit on it also about the v6 and 170 horses its just casue its stock one of my friends who works at shark racing said that the tib v6 motor opens up with aftermarket parts the stock intake and exaust are very restrictive and so with simple bolt ons you can up your horepower pretty good . He didnt tell me exact numbers but just said the motor performes well with aftermarket parts
Old 06-30-2003
Registered!!

AudioQuest is an unknown quantity at this point
I swear some of you people have no idea what you're talking about. Take it from a Honda AND Hyundai owner. I own a 2003 Canadian LX Sedan, a 1999 Hyundai Elantra and a 2001 Hyundai Accent. Hyundai has come a long way. The quality of their products is very good in my opinion. My Hyundais do not rattle, squeak or make any rude noises while driving. They get the job done very nicely. The one area Honda has a clear advantage in is engineering. Mechanically speaking, the Honda is smoother, more efficient and just "feels" better than my Hyundais. Hyundai engines tend to buzz when pushed. Hondas come into their own when pushed. Saying Hyundai is crap is utter rubbish. I would by another Hyundai in a heartbeat over GM, Ford or Chrysler.

Quick Reply: hyundai tiburon..