General 6th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

Different oil pans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018
prr
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prr is an unknown quantity at this point
Different oil pans?

The last 2 times I’ve changed my oil, I have just poured in 3.8 quarts (which is the amount my manual says it takes), and then found afterwards that the oil level was above the full mark on my dipstick. This last week, it was a good 2/3 of an inch if not higher, above that mark.

I read online that there are actually two different oil pans for the Civic—a steel one with 3.5 quart capacity, and an aluminum one with a 3.8 quart capacity. I suppose this means (if it is true), that for some reason, I got the larger steel one. I haven’t replaced the oil pan, but I got it at 80K, so perhaps it was either original with my car, or it was replaced before I bought it, and the smaller one was swapped in. As far as draining the oil, I never rush it. Last week I waited until the steady stream disappeared; there was no drop for 3-5 seconds and then I put the plug back in, so I don’t think the issue was not draining enough oil.
Has anyone heard of this before?

One obvious solution is to pour in less oil to start with. I think I’ll go with that, although I’d still like to know why my oil level was so high to begin with—if the pan is the same, then that means that I wasn’t draining enough out, which is puzzling.
Old 12-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Different oil pans?

what engine do you have?
and you have the steel pan?
Old 12-12-2018
prr
Registered!!

I have the D16Y7 engine. I am not sure about the pan.
Old 12-12-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,129 Likes on 943 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

so it should have steel pan, came from the factory painted black.
my girlfriend's car has the y7 and the steel pan and it take around 3.5 qts i believe
Old 12-12-2018
prr
Registered!!

No, its grey. So does that mean it is aluminum--and 3.8 quarts? Then I guess I'm back where i started. But I know for sure it isn't painted black.
Old 12-12-2018
prr
Registered!!

This link here speaks of a painted steel pan (black), and the grey aluminum one. Mine is grey, so this link also confirms what you said. Which again, means that my pan can hold 3.8 quarts, so I'm still puzzled as to why a near complete oil drain, and pouring in 3.8 quarts of oil, put me so far above the line.

https://www.d-series.org/forums/1269539-post123.html

Well thanks anyways for chipping in. At least now I know that there are in fact two different types of pans.
Old 12-12-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Do you start the car for a few minutes after you change the oil, wait for a few minutes and recheck it?

So your manual was correct if it said to add 3.8 since that is the aluminum pan capacity. Color seems to be a good indication but you can see if its magnetic or not too.
Old 12-12-2018
prr
Registered!!

I have rechecked it more than once, oil level is always the same. Good suggestion about seeing if its magnetic. Next time I get a chance I'll see if it is, that should settle it.

Originally Posted by GolNat
Do you start the car for a few minutes after you change the oil, wait for a few minutes and recheck it?

So your manual was correct if it said to add 3.8 since that is the aluminum pan capacity. Color seems to be a good indication but you can see if its magnetic or not too.
Old 12-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Who cares what pan it has? Only add enough oil so the dipstick says it's full
If you wait a while after the engine is shut off before checking, the filter may drain itself and raise the oil level a bit.
The physical size of the filter shell affects the oil capacity too. Bigger filter holds more oil, obviously.

We have an oil capacity chart we give the new lubies at work, the final line on it reads "USE THE FREEKIN DIPSTICK"