General 10th Gen Got a question or want to post but it doesn't quite fall under any other topic? Post up here!

tpms light!

Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kaykaykiki is an unknown quantity at this point
tpms light!

Hi there!

I recently bought a new 2018 hatchback ex-l navi on Saturday. On Monday, the tmps light came on. I checked the tires, they were all inflated to 50. I deflated them to 32. Next day, back on. All tires still at 32. Meanwhile, I've called the dealership 2x to complain, especially since I drove 100 miles away to get this particular car. I googled it, and it seems this is a common problem with 9th and 10th generations? I traded in a 9th and didn't have this problem. I made the appointment with the local honda dealer to get the update I found while googling. that afternoon I get in the car and the whole display crashed. I can only use the power and volume buttons. my salesman is off, so i'm talking to the sales manager and he asks why im so upset, it's covered under warranty. I'm mad because I have to take it to the dealer I didn't buy it from and it's not even a week old! Oh, and I have to drive it back to the original delearship (an hour away) to get the splash guards on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,
Corie
Old 07-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: tpms light!

Every time you do ANYTHING with tires you MUST manually reset/recalibrate the TPMS system. Air them up or down, rotate, any change at all. On a car with a DA radio the tire cal is done in the menus. See your owners manual.

Radio crash is another matter. Let warranty handle it.
Off topic, why didn't you purchase the car from your closest dealership?
Old 07-13-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kaykaykiki is an unknown quantity at this point

I did recalibrate. I guess I didn't explain myself. After I found the tires were inflated to 50 psi (which the light IS NOT supposed to come on for btw), I deflated them, recalibrated, it turned off and it came on again the next day.

And yes, after reading my manual, I discovered that if there is something wrong with the system, the light will flash for approximately 1 min when you start the car. Mine did not do that. I did read right before my radio crashed that for 9th and 10th generation civic owners, when there is a problem with the tpms system, it will crash the rest of it. I only could find that in 1 article though, so I was looking for some confirmation if that was the case.

This is not my 1st civic. I have owned a 7th, 9th, and now 10th generation. My 9th had a slow tire leak so I know all about resetting the tpms light as the system has not changed from my 2015 to my 2018.

Regarding why I didn't buy from my closest dealership; I have owned 5 Hondas in my lifetime, so I have experience with our local ones. When my lease was up on my 15, my local dealership kept passing me around. The had 2 civics total in the lot. No hatchbacks. The one an hour away had 50, including 20 hatchbacks. Since I like to see the differences, I drove there.

thanks for your help.
Old 07-13-2018
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

How did you recalibrate?

When I discovered mine were at 55psi, I took em down to 32 then took a 30 minute drive on the freeway staying at about 65mph. Iirc, manual says to drive between 35-65 for a half hour. I haven't had my light pop back on yet
Old 07-13-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I did recalibrate. I guess I didn't explain myself. After I found the tires were inflated to 50 psi (which the light IS NOT supposed to come on for btw), I deflated them, recalibrated, it turned off and it came on again the next day.
Let the dealer try to figure that out too. (Of course if you don't tell them you really do know how to do the tpms reset, they will automatically assume you didn't do it)

Was the car parked on level ground when you did the tire calibration?

One thing we often do in the shop is repeat the cal procedure 3 times in a row. This supposedly erases the previously learned tire profiles and is mostly done when we have a warning light on but the pressures are actually correct and no changes are made.

Hit calibrate once, wait 5 seconds, hit it again, wait 5 seconds, hit it a 3rd time.
About 5 seconds later the "(!)" light on the dash should turn on for a second and go out.
Drive it at your leisure.