Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications This section is for easy bolt-on engine modifications Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Fit Hatchback Sport OEM Exhaust to LX Hatchback?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 HB LX 6MT is an unknown quantity at this point
Fit Hatchback Sport OEM Exhaust to LX Hatchback?

Hey everybody!

The fiancée has a 2018 Civic LX Hatchback 6MT, and obviously we’ve seen the Sport models with the center-exit exhaust. Looks good, and my understanding is that they have a few more HP than the LX, as well.

So, naturally, we’ve wondered if the Honda OEM Hatchback “Sport” exhaust can be mounted up to the LX Hatch.

If so, I figured I’d start looking around for either a totaled Hatchback Sport to cannibalize, or someone who’s installing an aftermarket exhaust system in their HB Sport and would be willing to part with the OEM system.

So, does anyone know if the center-exit Honda OEM Sport Hatchback exhaust will bolt up to the LX Hatch?

Thanks,

John
Nashville, TN.
Old 01-01-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Fit Hatchback Sport OEM Exhaust to LX Hatchback?

Not without modification. Cargo room in the Sport/Sport touring is mildly sacrificed for the center mount exhaust. Mounting points are also possibly different because of that subtle difference in the spare tire well position.. Alternatively, to get a center mount exhaust, you'd have to convert to the Sport trim rear garnish (that'll run you about $120-150 for the 2020 version assuming a DIY job) and have an exhaust shop route center exit tips from the OE mufflers. If you don't mind some extra sound, just get rid of the mufflers entirely. You'll get a hint of very manageable drone at about 2000rpm (only under a few different throttle/engine load conditions), but other than that, it sounds really good, all things considered. Check out the "check out how she's growing" link in my signature. You can find video/sound clips, amongst everything else I've done with my car. lol

While you are right, that there is a few extra ponies in the Sport, it's not really the exhaust (though, may lend a hand). The extra horsepower only comes when you use 91+ octane in the Sport trim. When 87 is used, it retards the timing to bump it down to the 174hp the LX sees. I did an experiment in mine. The difference is very apparent.
Old 01-02-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18 HB LX 6MT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Not without modification. Cargo room in the Sport/Sport touring is mildly sacrificed for the center mount exhaust. Mounting points are also possibly different because of that subtle difference in the spare tire well position.. Alternatively, to get a center mount exhaust, you'd have to convert to the Sport trim rear garnish (that'll run you about $120-150 for the 2020 version assuming a DIY job) and have an exhaust shop route center exit tips from the OE mufflers. If you don't mind some extra sound, just get rid of the mufflers entirely. You'll get a hint of very manageable drone at about 2000rpm (only under a few different throttle/engine load conditions), but other than that, it sounds really good, all things considered. Check out the "check out how she's growing" link in my signature. You can find video/sound clips, amongst everything else I've done with my car. lol

While you are right, that there is a few extra ponies in the Sport, it's not really the exhaust (though, may lend a hand). The extra horsepower only comes when you use 91+ octane in the Sport trim. When 87 is used, it retards the timing to bump it down to the 174hp the LX sees. I did an experiment in mine. The difference is very apparent.
Thanks for the reply!

Man, that’s disappointing. Was hoping for a way to give it a little extra while maintaining warranty.

I think it makes zero sense, from a production standpoint, to have the underside of the LX to be different from the Sport. Seems like it would save a lot of production cost to have the 2 trim levels identical, save for the rear bumper.

That makes me wonder if the Type R exhaust would bolt up to the Sport, and vice-versa. Maybe those two are the same underneath.
Old 01-02-2020
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,159 Likes on 807 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Type r exhaust kinda bolts right up. Either remove one of the two resonators or take off a bracket (I forgot which bracket at this time).