North East Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Krepoort is an unknown quantity at this point
New Wheels

Welp, I'm thinking of getting these..

Motegi MR12. Gonna go with 16s. Here's my 'dilemmas'.

First, I'm thinking I want to keep the stocks on during winter..so that means if I do get these now, I only have them on for a couple months. Should I do it now or wait. I have alot of other projects so I could keep busy until Spring.

Second, here are the specs..

Size Bolt Pattern (mm) Offset (mm) Weight (lbs) Color Availability Price

16" x 7" 4/100 & 4/108 42 19.5 Painted: Silver, White, Gun Metal - $116.99

16" x 7" 4/100 & 4/114.3 42 19.5 Painted: Silver, White, Gun Metal - $116.99

Now what size tires should I be looking for. I dont really understand the whole offset stuff. Ideally, I should go for the tires which would give me a little less mileage vs a little more mileage? I'm also looking for the good tires that I can use on the highway. The ones that are good for over 120mph (not that I go that fast [IMG]i/expressions/demon.gif[/IMG] ). Also, if I switch to stock in the winter, I guess I dont really need all-season tires, eh? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG] Or maybe I should get them anyway?

I'm actually bored and starving at work right now, so I'm not really thinking straight. About to hit lunch as soon as I post. I'll check the Wheels forum when I get the chance, but what do you all think?

Old 10-07-2002
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
My suggestion would be the gunmetal color.
Pictured here:

Since you'll be pulling them off for winter, I'd wait until Spring to get them if you have other stuff you want to do.

All-season wouldn't hurt (that's what I have for my stocks) my other rims (ones mounted now) are high speed rated and are not All-season.

As for tires: you need either
205, 215/50R16 or 205/55R16

A "U" rating is about 124mph
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

BrotherSound is an unknown quantity at this point
Those are Nice how come the first pic you posted has text near the lugs & there are only 5-lug holes, and the bottom two pic's have no text and have universal lug holes?
Old 10-07-2002
Retired Super Mod and STILL Pimpin' Yo Mama

Blk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to beholdBlk4blk2K1 is a splendid one to behold
[hr]Originally posted by: BrotherSound
Those are Nice how come the first pic you posted has text near the lugs & there are only 5-lug holes, and the bottom two pic's have no text and have universal lug holes?[hr]

Hmm, I didn't notice the text and thew holes.. Good eye. One being a newer version?
Old 10-07-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I like the gun metal ones too. Although 16's are kinda small. Then again, Boston does suck it big time (the roads that is). 19.5 lbs is way too heavy though. My 17's weigh 15.5 lbs. Those wheels will bog you down like crazy. If you're going for 16's, then get some Rota's. They're lighter. Sub-Zero's look very similiar.
Old 10-07-2002
Wicked Pissah Admin

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Havok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant futureHavok2k1 has a brilliant future
Whatever size you get, those are sweet rims. I would get the gunmetals too..............

Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

RSX XTC is an unknown quantity at this point
i have one suggestion. dont get 16's get 17 or 18's. there is such a big wheel gap with 16's it dont look to good. i have 17's and i wish i got 18's... if you going to lower the car you might be ok. i also think you might save money buying them now or in a month or so. from a dealer in this area. its almost winter time and you could get a end of the season blowout sale on them, its worth a try
Old 10-08-2002
Premium Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I got the 1st pic off Motegi's site. It looks like the 5 lug wheel does have writing but the universal lug pattern does not. Dunno why. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]

I'm gonna get 16s first and see how they are. There's been quite a few roads around here that either have pot holes that are never filled or are about to be repaved so the man holes are 'extended' like 4 inches off the ground. I am planning on dropping the car about an inch or so, so that will take care of the gap. If the 16s are too small, I'll just sell them and get 17s. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

I generally dont really like the gunmetal look, and I have those chrome trim pieces on my trunk and hood as well, so silver wheels would probably match up better. If anyone comes across any of those blowout sales, lemme know. Maybe I'll just buy them if they are real cheap and wait till winter ends to put them on.

I'll check out the Rotas now as well I guess. Nothing else better to do at work today.

Just saw the Sub Zeros, but I dont like them. Not really a fan of wheels where the spokes end and there are a few extra rings at the rim. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-08-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
Yep yep. Rota's are nice. The Sub-Zero's are similiar to the ones you want, but much lighter: 18" Rota Subzero - 450 Shipped I'm not saying to get 18" wheels though. That link is just for the picture.
Old 10-08-2002
Registered!!

TwilightX is an unknown quantity at this point
lol, whew...I was going to say...18's in our area would be just a funnel for money...

Michal, I don't think that 16 more pounds is really going to kill him considering he has an auto sedan, with all the options, and stock wheels already...I'm sure he's only going to go better by getting them considering I'm assuming stock wheels are more heavy...

Old 10-08-2002
Premium Member

Well, here's what I found with a quick search. Someone said their stock 14s are 33lbs with the tires...and I have 15s, so we can add on another pound or so. Now the only question is..how much do tires generally weigh? And I figure, even if my new wheels are heavier (by lets say 5lbs each) that would be like tossing a little kid in the car. It may make a difference in a race, but as long as I can still get the same acceleration in the streets, its all good. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/IMG]

Old 10-09-2002
Registered!!

BrotherSound is an unknown quantity at this point
when I weighed my Stock EX 15's with tire's they came in at 37lbs each, then I weighed my 17" Konig Tantrums With tires right after & they wieghed in at 40lbs each.. I havent noticed much accel loss.. a lil mileage loss but barely noticeable, i still get well over 450miles per tank. but I'm switching back to stock right after the first snow..