Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here.

Is this normal tread wear? 2017 civic touring.

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debow is an unknown quantity at this point
Is this normal tread wear? 2017 civic touring.

Little ripples all the way around the tread edge. It's only like this on the rear left tire. Just recently had an oil change, tire rotation, and full computer alignment check at a Honda dealership and it all checked out but this seems unusual. Only has 6,000 miles.

Last edited by Debow; 10-29-2017 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is this normal tread wear? 2017 civic touring.

Did you ask your dealer?

Are those little rips in the rubber, or are they a buildup of some other material stuck in the tread (tar)?

If it's only on one side of each tread block, maybe it happened during a hard acceleration, maybe the tire broke loose, maybe during a turn or on an unstable surface.

I'd usually guess someone likes accelerating full blast a lot.
Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Did you ask your dealer?

Are those little rips in the rubber, or are they a buildup of some other material stuck in the tread (tar)?

If it's only on one side of each tread block, maybe it happened during a hard acceleration, maybe the tire broke loose, maybe during a turn or on an unstable surface.

I'd usually guess someone likes accelerating full blast a lot.
i didn't notice it a couple weeks ago at the dealership so I never asked them. It's definitely rips, when I run my hand across it I could probably literally rip off the tread. I definitely don't accelerate hard this is the 4 cylinder touring sedan it's a slug it would be pointless lol. Also this tire just got moved from front to back last week for oil change and rotation. So I'm not sure if it's the front that caused this or the rear at this point. All I know is this is literally the only tire ripping. If it was caused from hard acceleration wouldn't I have at least two tires with similar ripping? But yeah I definitely don't push this ol slug lol I baby her.
Old 10-29-2017
Registered!!

Another photo. I know it looks minimal but it's concerning when running my hand across the length of the edge and being able to lift the tread up. I'm probably going to take it in Monday to see what the dealership says but I thought I'd get some insight here first.
Old 10-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

this is the 4 cylinder touring sedan it's a slug
It's got a turbo, it's far from a slug LOL

Got a teenager in the house? Give that kid the stinkeye.

Someone wheeling the car around outside the oil change shop?

So I'm not sure if it's the front that caused this or the rear at this point
Each tread block can flex like a pencil eraser.

Think about the forces during acceleration and how they would only be acting upon one edge of each tread block.
Hard braking places the forces on the opposite side of the tread blocks.

The rear end just follows along and brakes, so assuming the tires were moved straight front to rear (not an X pattern) that did not happen while the tires were on the rear of the car.

If it was caused from hard acceleration wouldn't I have at least two tires with similar ripping?
Not if only one broke free and spun.
Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
It's got a turbo, it's far from a slug LOL

Got a teenager in the house? Give that kid the stinkeye.

Someone wheeling the car around outside the oil change shop?

Each tread block can flex like a pencil eraser.

Think about the forces during acceleration and how they would only be acting upon one edge of each tread block.
Hard braking places the forces on the opposite side of the tread blocks.

The rear end just follows along and brakes, so assuming the tires were moved straight front to rear (not an X pattern) that did not happen while the tires were on the rear of the car.

Not if only one broke free and spun.
Nope no kids. Haha i haven't really got on it because it's slow to me especially compared to the accord v6 coupe I had
and I had a lot of fun in that sucker, never had treadwear problems like this. Keep in mind it's the sedan not a hatchback I couldn't find the stats but the 0-60 on this thing has to be 7.0+ seconds easy I would feel silly trying to race it lol. That v6 coupe I had, now that baby hit 0-60 in 5 seconds or under on numerous occasions for me I won't sugar coat that. LOL. I'm thinking it's got to be a manufacturer defect on the tire at this point. Hopefully the dealership won't give me any trouble and try saying I'm accelerating hard. This is a family car in my eyes, I've driven 5.0 mustangs and corvettes if I wanted to have some fun it certainly wouldn't be in a 1.5l 4 cylinder sedan with stock turbo haha. I'm not sure I could even spin the tires in this thing if I tried nor do I want to. I always feel like these little 4 cylinders can't handle a whole lot and aren't built for being pushed hard (stock) so I try to baby it. It's a mental thing lol I could be wrong but I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Old 10-30-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,442 Likes on 1,198 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

?!?

at first, i thought it was a rubber build-up, like tires get on the track, but if the tread blocks are starting to tear/crack, then yes, take it to the dealer.

if they do explain what is going on, report back if you could.

but definitely take to dealer.