10th Generation Civic 2016-2021 Discussion for the 2016 to 2021 Honda Civics.
Chassis codes: FC1, FC2, FC3, FC4, FK4, FK7, FK8

Engine oil and oil filter questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold
Re: Engine oil and oil filter questions

Originally Posted by mac25
OP: absolutely never, ever trust the count down timer, those things are crap.

Ever think why the timer still says %15 or -500km, or whatever even after you have changed the oil, and why it must be set by hand back to %100
I would disagree with this. No the car does not analyze the oil but it uses many variables to determine how “dirty” the oil should be. It uses data to calculate an estimate that a group of engineers determined to be accurate. It’s a modern engine, with modern oil they are way better then motors and oil of the past. It needs to be reset because it’s not that smart. Yes it’s cheap insurance so change away but it’s a waste of time, money and resources in my opinion. For my Fit and wives Pilot I wait for it tell me. I also use Honda oil and filter so the minder light is more accurate because it’s what was intended to be in the engine.
Old 02-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rogerscivic is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there ezone great to see some hard facts on fram ultra's by motorking77 realy is a well built filter after all.
Old 02-05-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, ezone for Posting up motorking77 page he realy knows his Filters. hope this clears up all the trash talk i hear and see about Fram Ultra Filters, i been using the Fram Ultra oil filter on the Civic pretty much since i

have owned it Never had an issue to say the Least. Winner FRAM! lol Say ezone You mentioned Honda has 2 types of oil Filters
(Filtec - made in Ohio - usa) and (Honeywell - made in - Canada) whats the difference between both of them...?
or is 1 a little better than the other ? any difference at all... between them?
Old 02-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My point was someone (other than me) needs to post their findings about all the companies that Honeywell owns.
If I just say they own blablabla company y'all might just think I'm flapping my gums

Really no significant difference between the two Honda labeled filters other than 2 different suppliers and different but interchangeable Honda part numbers. They are made to Hondas specs, that's what really matters
Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

MIS3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I read that Honda sells 2 kind of oil filters: A01 and A02.
A01 is supposed to be better.
Old 02-11-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MIS3
I read that Honda sells 2 kind of oil filters: A01 and A02.
A01 is supposed to be better.

AO1- is a Filtec honda made usa oil filter

AO2- is a Fram Honeywell oil filter made in Canada that replaces AO1 Filtec

Don't second doubt it, Both are constructed well & meet Honda standards no worries there.
Old 02-11-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
Really no significant difference between the two Honda labeled filters other than 2 different suppliers and different but interchangeable Honda part numbers. They are made to Hondas specs, that's what really matters
this
Old 02-12-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/honey...r-950-million/

"...Honeywell today announced that Rank Group, a private investment company, will acquire its automotive Consumer Products Group (CPG) business in a cash transaction valued at approximately $950 million...."

"...The CPG business, headquartered in Danbury, Conn., has more than 2,000 employees and includes four leading consumer automotive brands: FRAM filters, Prestone antifreeze, Autolite spark plugs and Holts car care products. Currently reported within Honeywell’s Transportation Systems segment, the CPG business had 2010 sales of approximately $1 billion. Following the divestiture of CPG, Transportation Systems, which includes Honeywell’s global turbocharger and braking businesses, will continue to operate as one of Honeywell’s reported business segments...."

http://www.aftermarketnews.com/execu...am-filtration/

"...FRAM Filtration, our new company name, is the largest global supplier of filtration products for the automotive and commercial transportation industries. We formed the company in January of this year by merging two companies that had been acquired by Rank – Champion Laboratories, which was part of UCI International and FRAM, formerly part of Honeywell...."

So ya Honeywell owned Fram in 2011 but Later Fram left and merged with Champion Laboratories which makes Mobil 1... Basically the filter companies are like the car manufacturers they all buy and sell each other.

Who owns who now, I'm not sure, but they're all pretty close.
Old 02-12-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mac25
So ya Honeywell owned Fram in 2011 but Later Fram left and merged with Champion Laboratories which makes Mobil 1... Basically the filter companies are like the car manufacturers they all buy and sell each other.

Who owns who now, I'm not sure, but they're all pretty close.
Our filters still say Honeywell (now I have to go check again).....Can't be 7 year old stock, can it?
Old 05-16-2018
Registered!!

Tony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been using Fram XG7317 for long time on my Accord and Odyssey but about to change to Mobile1 M1-110 filter next oil change because I seen somewhere online said Mobile 1 filter is better. Please advise.

Thank you,
Old 05-16-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

What's the difference between the two?
It's a filter, as long as you're not buying it out of the back of someone's van it will be fine.
Old 05-16-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Both are great filters. Which is on sale? I always use Fram. It's an oil filter, not an artificial heart.
Old 05-17-2018
Registered!!

Tony1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old 05-18-2018

Originally Posted by GolNat
Both are great filters. Which is on sale? I always use Fram. It's an oil filter, not an artificial heart.
Maybe Jarvik will start making oil filters?