Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Rust bucket rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mlamp89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rust bucket rebuild

Hey all, I just got a 1998 with 200k+ miles. The vin says it's a "VP" trim. It was two of my younger siblings first cars. My dad said it was overheating so he gave it to me. I just sold my beamer and got a truck, so I plan to tinker with the civic and essentially rebuild it and then use it as a commuter. I have body rust to fix as well as rust everywhere else. Currently I'm looking at replacing the exhaust manifold and entire exhaust system. I'm not trying to dump all kinds of money into this car, just have fun working on it and then use it to commute to work everyday. So, I found headers for 50 bucks, but I can't find an exhaust system I want. I find plenty for right around 100 bucks but I don't want the 4 inch tip in the back. Suggestions? I'm sure I'll be posting a lot in the future. Like I said, doing a lot of this just for the fun of it. Something to tinker with and rebuild.

Any other ideas or advice for something would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 08-19-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Rust bucket rebuild

cut and weld in a smaller tip on the exhaust
Old 08-19-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

That will be a nice project! Yes you might be able to remove the tip or the muffler and put a universal one on. Also an exhaust shop can make you a whole new one for not too much money usually.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Any suggestions on what else I should do to the engine? Beings that it's just over 200k miles, I figure I'll replace seals and gaskets. The timing belt and coolant pump. Not sure what else should be looked at and replaced
Old 08-26-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Rings, valve seals, gaskets. Timing belt and water pump would be good, tensioner also. Does it burn oil bad or smoke?
Old 08-27-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Rings, valve seals, gaskets. Timing belt and water pump would be good, tensioner also. Does it burn oil bad or smoke?
No it didn't burn or smoke. I found an engine rebuild kit online for 240 bucks. Includes pistons and what not. Not sure if that's really worth it or needed.
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Question for you guys... Pretty sure I just made a boneheaded mistake. I removed the distributer along with a bunch of other stuff. And I'm getting ready to remove the head so I can clean it and replace the gasket. I put cylinder 1 at TDC. and then marked the timing belt so I can put it back on in the same place. But, since I had the distributor removed and rotated the crank, am I going to have messed up distributor timing or anything major?
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

If the head was still on you may have caused the pistons to contact the valves. You're probably fine unless you put a lot of force into rotating the crank

Last edited by RobertD; 09-01-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
If the head was still on you may have caused the pistons to contact the valves. You're probably fine unless you put a lot of force into rotating the crank
@RobertD, definitely used next to no pressure to turn the crank.