Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Best engine replacement for a 1996 dx coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
scottiet9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Best engine replacement for a 1996 dx coupe

Good Morning All,

I recently purchased a 96 dx coupe for my daughter and we've been talking engine upgrades. My question is. What type of type of engine should I source that will require minimal changes? She is recommending a B20? Currently the d series that is in the car has 300K on it and lacks the power. Keep in mind, I will be having a garage change out the engine. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Scottie
Old 07-01-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Best engine replacement for a 1996 dx coupe

Originally Posted by scottiet9
Good Morning All,

I recently purchased a 96 dx coupe for my daughter and we've been talking engine upgrades. My question is.
What type of type of engine should I source that will require minimal changes?
She is recommending a B20? Currently the d series that is in the car has 300K on it and lacks the power.
Keep in mind, I will be having a garage change out the engine. Thank you in advance.
Regards,

Scottie
So You need a "new remanufactered crate engine" I'm guessing Your best bet would be to contact Your Local Honda dealer they could find you one or source out one for You.. from somewhere im sure. i was going to recommend Jasper engines & transmissions as one source but there Online Reviews dont look very liking/favourable. Good Luck
Old 07-01-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by scottiet9
Good Morning All,

I recently purchased a 96 dx coupe for my daughter and we've been talking engine upgrades. My question is. What type of type of engine should I source that will require minimal changes? She is recommending a B20? Currently the d series that is in the car has 300K on it and lacks the power. Keep in mind, I will be having a garage change out the engine. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Scottie
Any b series (b20, b16/18, etc) engine is relatively "drop in" just need the proper mounts, wiring, axles, trans, and computer.

Easiest is to replace it with the same engine that was in there a d16y7. Could change the trans to a d16y8 trans to get shorter gears and make to car a little more peppy feeling, or swap in a d16y8 (need correct engine harness + computer) to gain a little bit of power and vtec
Old 07-04-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Colin42
Any b series (b20, b16/18, etc) engine is relatively "drop in" just need the proper mounts, wiring, axles, trans, and computer.

Easiest is to replace it with the same engine that was in there a d16y7. Could change the trans to a d16y8 trans to get shorter gears and make to car a little more peppy feeling, or swap in a d16y8 (need correct engine harness + computer) to gain a little bit of power and vtec
Agree.

I have a JDM B20 low compression non Vtec in my '95. It's fun to drive and a definite power upgrade over a D-series engine. B20 compared to B16 & B18 has more torque accessible throughout the entire power band. It's hp numbers aren't great so if she needs more a B20 high compression Vtec would be the way to go..however, at a much higher expense. The engine in my car is paired with a '96-'01 Integra LS manual. You could opt for same years Integra GSR for shorter gearing. As mentioned by Colin it will need either an obd1 wiring harness or an obd2 wiring harness with adapter to work with an obd1 ECU. Also, different motor mounts.

There's choices of stock (1.8 liter) obd1 B-series ECU's to choose from but a 2.0 litre engine will idle a bit lean with a 1.8L ECU. Mine had a P75 ECU when I purchased it two years ago from the prior owner who did the engine/transmission install, but it never idled right. Six months ago I purchased an aftermarket basemap from a reputable seller and it's been running very well since. To note: I requested an (optional) o2 sensor delete/by-pass on that basemap so the engine always idles very near or at 750 rpms no load. The disadvantage is that without o2 sensor readings it effects fuel trims. However, it gets very good gas mileage, seems to run fine and when I pull the spark plugs I don't see any abnormal fouling to this point. If you go with a B20 Vtec it will need a dyno-tune afterwards.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 07-04-2018 at 06:22 AM.