Bolt-on Engine Performance Modifications Intake, header, exhaust, flywheel, pulley and other bolt on information and questions belong here.

Rough idle 97 Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamesray8686 is an unknown quantity at this point
Rough idle 97 Civic

So I bought a 97 Honda Civic for 500 bucks when the guy sold it to me he said cylinder one was missing firing. So after I bought it I replaced the spark plugs and it started running fine . Then a few days later I was driving on the freeway and the a big white smoke came out my top radiator hose busted. I replaced and filled my coolant . Now the car has a rough idle and puts in first gear then after u get it up then it starts driving better but when I shut the car off the motor is super hot and the temp gauge goes from cold to middle temp really fast what's the solution?

As Colin mentioned do a coolant system bleed. Also, it sounds like the thermostat is stuck partially closed and on it's way to completely failing. Since you just purchased and may not have service records installing a new thermostat is probably just good maintenance at this point. Another thing to check is all heater and radiator hoses...especially the heater hose that is directly under the distributor. The distributor O-rings on these engines are known to be a source of oil leaks and leaking, hot oil deteriorates rubber coolant hoses.

To bleed coolant system of air:
* Put front of car on jackstands highest setting
* Set climate control to max heat, fan off
* Top off coolant in radiator and reservoir
* Let engine idle with radiator cap off (use spill-proof funnel in radiator neck , if desired)
* Idle engine until radiator fan turns on twice and top up coolant as needed during process..do not let coolant level go lower than radiator neck.

Bubbles in coolant should progressively get smaller to a point of almost non-existent during bleed completion.

Also, remove and clean IACV + gasket screen with brake clean spray.
Clean throttle body with a toothbrush and throttle body (only) spray.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 12-15-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Old 12-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Rough idle 97 Civic

did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?

try doing an idle relearn, or maybe the iacv is sticking
Old 12-15-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jamesray8686
So I bought a 97 Honda Civic for 500 bucks when the guy sold it to me he said cylinder one was missing firing. So after I bought it I replaced the spark plugs and it started running fine . Then a few days later I was driving on the freeway and the a big white smoke came out my top radiator hose busted. I replaced and filled my coolant . Now the car has a rough idle and puts in first gear then after u get it up then it starts driving better but when I shut the car off the motor is super hot and the temp gauge goes from cold to middle temp really fast what's the solution?
As Colin mentioned do a coolant system bleed. Also, it sounds like the thermostat is stuck partially closed and on it's way to completely failing. Since you just purchased and may not have service records installing a new thermostat is probably just good maintenance at this point. Another thing to check is all heater and radiator hoses...especially the heater hose that is directly under the distributor. The distributor O-rings on these engines are known to be a source of oil leaks and leaking, hot oil deteriorates rubber coolant hoses.

To bleed coolant system of air:
* Put front of car on jackstands highest setting
* Set climate control to max heat, fan off
* Top off coolant in radiator and reservoir
* Let engine idle with radiator cap off (use spill-proof funnel in radiator neck , if desired)
* Idle engine until radiator fan turns on twice and top up coolant as needed during process..do not let coolant level go lower than radiator neck.

Bubbles in coolant should progressively get smaller to a point of almost non-existent during bleed completion.

Also, remove and clean IACV + gasket screen with brake clean spray.
Clean throttle body with a toothbrush and throttle body (only) spray.
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamesray8686 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
did you bleed the air out of the cooling system?

try doing an idle relearn, or maybe the iacv is sticking
what is an idle relearn?
Old 12-15-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jamesray8686
what is an idle relearn?

* With engine off disconnect only the ground terminal from the negative post of battery
* Turn headlights on and tap brake pedal a few times to discharge and residual voltage
* After discharging residual turn off all electronics in (ex: headlights, radio,dashlight, domelight, etc..)
* Reconnect the negative terminal, start engine and let idle until coolant fan engages twice (roughly 15 to 20 minutes). Do not rev engine..idle only while all electronics are still off.

The ECU reset/idle relearn is exactly as it states: the engine relearns base idle.