Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

Finally a DIY on the 4-1 racing header with tons of pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OverTheTop is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank Rhian for coming out. You such a cuite pie..

I can get the same header on my car if anying is interested. It is the same exact as HP's just with out those liar's name on it.

Old 09-27-2002
Registered!!

Desi is an unknown quantity at this point
overthetop, how much do u charge for the header. i'm seriously thinking about getting the same header through you though. thanks.
Old 09-28-2002
Registered!!

$315 shipped
Old 09-28-2002
Registered!!

SoNiCcIvIc is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: BLUENVY01
however, with the Greddy Evo, i think that if your goin to do this conversion, maybe look into a catback with more restriction in the exhaust tip. i think i might be losing a little bit of my potential of torque because of it. the sound is kind of interesting. its not your typical import sound, not ricey in any way. it actually sounds more like an older VW bug than anything. lol... i guess thats why ZELL dont like it! haha. oh well... as for P's set up, i havent heard it personally yet, but i have been told that the AUTOMATIC trannies hinder the sound and performance of this set up a little bit... but that is somewhat expected with an AUTO.[hr]
I hope Skunk2's exhaust works well with it. High end torque is definitely there with that exhaust but alone, it does cost the low end torque. The intake helped that, but then mid-range was a lil weak! Hopefully the header with my setup will do good.

I don't like it... at least not at low RPMs.

Automatics aren't THAT bad when it comes to sound for an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 09-30-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: OverTheTop
$315 shipped[hr]
should make out the money order to you or or to the store? i'll email/pm you once i get paid next week.
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

StLVtec is an unknown quantity at this point
Is that for the HP header or a replica, whats the fitment problems. I couldnt wait for the new one to be released so i got the top and downpipe
Old 10-02-2002
Registered!!

Please Note THIER IS NO NEW HEADER COMING FROM HP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
: shake:
Old 10-03-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: StLVtec
Is that for the HP header or a replica, whats the fitment problems. I couldnt wait for the new one to be released so i got the top and downpipe[hr]
Screwed...
Old 10-05-2002
Registered!!

derty is an unknown quantity at this point
when installing the header couldn't you have taken out the engine mount? then install then replace the engine mout yes or no because engine mounts do go out whenever and so they have to be able to be replaceable right or wrong? just wondering my friend brought this up telling me to just uninstall the engine mount then install header then replace engine mount can this be done or not?
Old 10-05-2002
Registered!!

Chapobapo is an unknown quantity at this point
hey i just have a couple of questions... why is the 4-1 better than a 4-2-1? is there really that big of a difference? secondly, what is the best street-legal header to buy, one that is simply bolt-on with no need to cut anything (like motor mount) and with the factory o2 sensor locations? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-05-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Chapobapo
hey i just have a couple of questions... why is the 4-1 better than a 4-2-1? is there really that big of a difference? secondly, what is the best street-legal header to buy, one that is simply bolt-on with no need to cut anything (like motor mount) and with the factory o2 sensor locations? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
in 4-1 header, the pipes only coverged at one point meaning the velocity of air going through only slows down at that one point (more horsepower at high rpms, no increase of torque at low rpms). in 4-2-1, there are two convergin points (when the 4 pipes converged to 2 pipes and when the 2 pipes converge to 1 pipe). with two convergin points, the air slows down more than in the 4-1. (little increas in hp at high rpms, increases of torque in low rpms). i personally like 4-1, we need more top end power.

best street legal header: i would go with dc sports 1 piece header and the random technology high flow cat. both will connect together b/c the random technology cat is a complete downpipe.

as for me, i'm going with the hp/or replica hp header b/c its not street legal, its 4-1, and the cat is simply gone. i don't mind cutting any mounts cuz i've done it before.

Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: Desi
hey i just have a couple of questions... why is the 4-1 better than a 4-2-1? is there really that big of a difference? secondly, what is the best street-legal header to buy, one that is simply bolt-on with no need to cut anything (like motor mount) and with the factory o2 sensor locations? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
in 4-1 header, the pipes only coverged at one point meaning the velocity of air going through only slows down at that one point (more horsepower at high rpms, no increase of torque at low rpms). in 4-2-1, there are two convergin points (when the 4 pipes converged to 2 pipes and when the 2 pipes converge to 1 pipe). with two convergin points, the air slows down more than in the 4-1. (little increas in hp at high rpms, increases of torque in low rpms). i personally like 4-1, we need more top end power.

best street legal header: i would go with dc sports 1 piece header and the random technology high flow cat. both will connect together b/c the random technology cat is a complete downpipe.

as for me, i'm going with the hp/or replica hp header b/c its not street legal, its 4-1, and the cat is simply gone. i don't mind cutting any mounts cuz i've done it before.[hr]
The cat is simply gone? ... uh... but it comes with a high flow cat... which makes it not street legal but for track use... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr]The cat is simply gone? ... uh... but it comes with a high flow cat... which makes it not street legal but for track use... [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG][hr]
isnt the race header just a straight through pipe with a replica cat.- to pass inspection?
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

as for me, i'm going with the hp/or replica hp header b/c its not street legal, its 4-1, and the cat is simply gone. i don't mind cutting any mounts cuz i've done it before.[hr]
hey desi, i'm planning on getting the dc header first, and then im gonna save up again for the dc tcs cat-back exhaust... so when i get the header first, do i NEED to get a new cat back? or can it wait till i get the cat-back exhaust? p.s. thanks for all the info
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr][i]Originally posted by: Chapobapo

hey desi, i'm planning on getting the dc header first, and then im gonna save up again for the dc tcs cat-back exhaust... so when i get the header first, do i NEED to get a new cat back? or can it wait till i get the cat-back exhaust? p.s. thanks for all the info [hr]
answer: no. our headers, assuming you have an ex, are two piece headers. there's the upper half and the downipipe(the catalytic converter is on this pipe). dc sports just makes the upper half so it is complete bolt-on- easy to install. you can get the exhaust later. btw, i would personally get an exhaust first, basically b/c its a more noticeable mod than a header.
Old 10-06-2002
www.ImportFactor.Com

WhosYoDadday85 should not be trustedWhosYoDadday85 should not be trusted
Another couple things I noticed on my car when we did that install with OverTheTop:

1) Make SURE you install the springs that go between the new cat, and the catback otherwise you will get a horrible knocking noise when you use your brakes...

2) If you have a body kit, consider getting the hangers rewelded so that the exhaust sits a little lower because that day when we installed the system, the tip was actually touching my rear bumper and the friggen thing would shake the crap outa my car..not to mention you risk melting your bumper....

3) GET THE GASKET THAT BILL POINTED OUT IN THE DIY! Makes life so much easier with it in there....

P.S. BA7GENZ OWNZ JOO![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr][i]Originally posted by: Chapobapo

hey desi, i'm planning on getting the dc header first, and then im gonna save up again for the dc tcs cat-back exhaust... so when i get the header first, do i NEED to get a new cat back? or can it wait till i get the cat-back exhaust? p.s. thanks for all the info [hr]
answer: no. our headers, assuming you have an ex, are two piece headers. there's the upper half and the downipipe(the catalytic converter is on this pipe). dc sports just makes the upper half so it is complete bolt-on- easy to install. you can get the exhaust later. btw, i would personally get an exhaust first, basically b/c its a more noticeable mod than a header.[hr]
so the the cat that comes with the dc tcs should replace my stock cat right?
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: WhosYoDadday85
Another couple things I noticed on my car when we did that install with OverTheTop:

1) Make SURE you install the springs that go between the new cat, and the catback otherwise you will get a horrible knocking noise when you use your brakes...

2) If you have a body kit, consider getting the hangers rewelded so that the exhaust sits a little lower because that day when we installed the system, the tip was actually touching my rear bumper and the friggen thing would shake the crap outa my car..not to mention you risk melting your bumper....

3) GET THE GASKET THAT BILL POINTED OUT IN THE DIY! Makes life so much easier with it in there....

what diy are you talking about... link?

P.S. BA7GENZ OWNZ JOO![IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/IMG][hr]
Old 10-06-2002
Registered!!

[hr]

so the the cat that comes with the dc tcs should replace my stock cat right?[hr]
no, the dc exhaust is a full cat back meaning that it is just the muffler and all the piping after the catalytic converter. therefore a cat doesn't come with exhaust. you can just bolt on your stock downpipe with cat to your new exhaust and/or header.
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

thanks for all the great info... i had no idea... sorry so many questions but i have on last one to finish this whole thing up... should i just keep the stock cat, or should i buy an aftermarket one? if so which and how much, keeping in mind i want the best performance but street legal thanks desi
Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

thanks for all the great info... i had no idea... sorry so many questions but i have on last one to finish this whole thing up... should i just keep the stock cat, or should i buy an aftermarket one? if so which and how much, keeping in mind i want the best performance but street legal thanks desi [hr]
for now, you can keep the stock cat. if u have money later, then get an aftermarket one. random technology just released a high flow cat. i think it costs like $300 and is a complete bolt-on with all the o2 sensors. i don't know if it carb-legal(street legal), but i have good feeling that it will be b/c they ususally put out carb-legal cats.

hp racing also a made a complete bolton cat, but i haven't found it on the net. i know stlvtec has one.

Old 10-07-2002
Registered!!

thanks desi
Old 10-11-2002
Registered!!

NBPCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
I just got the header and cat in today and wanted to confirm that there is no cutting needed for a 2k2 EX Auto. Thanks for the DIY.
Old 10-11-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: NBPCivic
I just got the header and cat in today and wanted to confirm that there is no cutting needed for a 2k2 EX Auto. Thanks for the DIY.[hr]
Oh, so you tell us that you installed it but don't give us any performance info. What's up with that? [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/IMG]
Old 10-11-2002
Registered!!

I didn't really get a chance to drive it bacause I had to work, and I don't take my car to work. I will wait about a week to report anything performance wise because it takes a little bit for the ECU to adjust i think.
Old 10-12-2002
Support your local 81

bhaz413 is an unknown quantity at this point
oh good god man, you destroyed that mount. boo that, sheesh....
Old 10-12-2002
Registered!!

Hmm, so simply it fits on tranny type, not model trim.

Automatic: No Cut
Maunal: Cut

I'm a lil' convinced that HP's test car was an automatic but oh well.
Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

Mbow is an unknown quantity at this point
He can get a new mount for $40.

NBPcivic, you do need to give it a little time for adjustment. About 500miles imo. Did it come with the sim or did you buy one seperately?

Anyhow, just let us know what you think of it after you have spent some time with her.
Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

I don't have an o2 simulator and my check engine light never came on so to that
Old 10-13-2002
Registered!!

[hr]Originally posted by: NBPCivic
I don't have an o2 simulator and my check engine light never came on so to that[hr]
nbpcivic, could you take a picture of your engine bay w/ the header in. i want to see if there are any alignment differences if between the ex auto and ex 5pd. thanks.

Quick Reply: Finally a DIY on the 4-1 racing header with tons of pics.