Bolt-on Engine Performance Post questions/information about intakes, exhausts, headers, lightweight pulleys or flywheels? It belongs here.

2002 and no flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELTsanwich is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 and no flywheel

ok i'll try to be informative best i can. suprisingly there isnt but three topics on this site about a flywheel for our cars. a flywheel is almost the last piece of the puzzle when connecting the power of your engine to the wheels. heavier things require more effort to move right? same thing with any part of the powertrain. anything that is heavier is harder to move. put a cd on a pencil and spin it. now put a 2 pound weight on and spin it. whichs spins faster? probably the cd unless your using a laser disc. a lightened fly wheel lets the engine rev faster and also drops faster between shift. and if your car can rev quicker then your car moves quicker. for how much the normal cost of a lightweight reenforced flywheels costs is the most noticeable mod u can make. they have been known to slice 1/4 sec....that may not seem like alot but its about a car lenght at the finish. this is why i really want a lightened flywheel to come out for are cars.
Old 06-14-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
since it seems like you know alot about flywheels, can you put one in an auto?
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

OPGForce is an unknown quantity at this point
why don't you take your factory flywheel, and machine the "excess weight off".
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

01civ01 is an unknown quantity at this point
i hope your joking about a flywheel in an auto.....you know you can always get the factory flywheel lightened and balanced. you just won't have your car for a few days
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

nbpEMCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
As far as I know the only transmison related parts out for our car are short shifters and a new ACT clutch...not 100% sure though...but yes a lightened flywheel would be nice...
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
VNlilMAN: you already have one in there. And yes you can replace it with a lightened one.

To get more info on the subject: There are only a few companies that I am aware of that actually manufacture flywheels. 1 is big (can't remember name) and the rest are little. Jean @ UR has told me that they should have one developed by the end of August. I am hoping that they will let me run one in my car to help them with the rollout. Who knows on that. If my clutch runs out before the lightened flywheels get developed for our cars, I won't be putting one in. If my clutch makes it far enough and one is developed, I will likely install one (probably UR). You are right, they rev faster and have more HP - it really helps somewhat. Trouble is it bogs easier if you don't maintain your revs when shifting and launching. Lots of pros use them. My tuner does not use or recommend them and he has a 10 sec hatch. The local Clutch Master dealer will probably tell you that they have a clutch and flywheel that will go into a 2K1, but it is for 00 and back Civics. Will it work? I don't know. I do know that I want something specifically developed for MY car. If you are going strictly NA a lightened flywheel is practically a must along with an ultra light pulley set. Originally I was going NA all the way, but stuff is developing SOOOO slowly for this Civic that I have changed my mind and will be installing nitrious. Guess we wait and see, just like everything else.
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

01civ01 is an unknown quantity at this point
autos don't have a flywheel, they have a flexplate which is much lighter than a flywheel and i have never heard of a lightened flexplate since it is bolted to the torque converter then you would have to lighten that and then it will come to a new trans.
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

FamilyMan is an unknown quantity at this point
Sorry, didn't translate auto into transmission. I thought somehow VN was being funny. auto = car, do people really have automatic transmissions????
Old 06-14-2002
The Standard One

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
didn't know if autos had flywheels or not so thanks for answering the question. and yes I HAVE AN AUTO. i didn't plan on racing with this car and probably wont n i'm plannin on giving my car to my mom after her's breaks down(she has a 89 camry with 100,000 miles). so ya thats why i got an auto. although i do want NOS on my car just so that i could atleast beat my friends hyundai. i was so sad when i lost 3 times. [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/IMG] [IMG]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

Silver2k1Dood is an unknown quantity at this point
[hr]Originally posted by: FamilyMan
Sorry, didn't translate auto into transmission. I thought somehow VN was being funny. auto = car, do people really have automatic transmissions????[hr]
Yep...sadly, there are those aberrations in our species who prefer a slush-box[IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG][IMG]i/expressions/laugh2.gif[/IMG]
Old 06-14-2002
DIY King

Grey has a spectacular aura aboutGrey has a spectacular aura about
I believe JUN is developing one too. They alredy have the prototype in their lemon civic. Hopefully they'll release it soon. Not that I'de buy it yet. I need to research the subject a little more.
Old 06-14-2002
Registered!!

LeroyBrown is an unknown quantity at this point
how much is the shopwork to have it shaved down?
Old 06-16-2002
Registered!!

Fa5ter is an unknown quantity at this point
You know i been looking for a while to, I know zex makes a chromoloy[sp?] wheel for 88+ sohc but i don't think they will work on 2k1's. I've been looking for a good machinist to make one. It's hard to find someone with a cnc machine that will mill a block of chromoloy for you cause i think it ****s up the bit. If i find one i'll post again.

- Fa5ter